Notices

Another newage avcs engine into classic sti thread

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2014, 12:47 PM
Chocador
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another newage avcs engine into classic sti thread

After deciding to replace my worn out version 6 sti non avcs engine with 1 from a newage I have hit a stumbling block.
Called zen performance today to enquire about a loom to run the avcs,no problem £350 and that will run the coils too.
But you will need a syvecs ecu and wideband to run it all costing the thick end of 3k fitted and mapped,ecu blank without wideband is £1299 plus vat!
If that's what that costs fair enough but how else do I get round it?
1,fit the complete loom and ecu into my car from a newage?,rather not do ths for various reasons.
2,fit my heads to the newage engine,rather not as the avcs heads must be an improvement and figuring out compression ratios will be a pain.
3,find a cheaper alternative-the preferred route.
It's been done before and surely not everyone has gone down this costly route.
Had some feedback from a breaker regards this and he said the newage ecu could be fitted to my car which is a version 6 type r sti limited,99/00 model.
Can anyone help please before I go buy something that won't work?
Ta,lee
Old 24 February 2014, 01:21 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Alcatek would be cheaper
Old 24 February 2014, 01:23 PM
Chocador
Scooby Regular

Was told to run away from alcatek.
Old 24 February 2014, 01:52 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Chocador
WHY?
Old 24 February 2014, 02:51 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use you std Ver6 Sti heads and get uprated camshaft e.g Kelford etc

http://www.camshaftshop.com/products.php?categoryid=64
Old 24 February 2014, 03:21 PM
wrx0211
Scooby Regular

newage loom,braveheartsti done this with my classic,swapped everything from my old blob.could be just as expensive though.
Old 24 February 2014, 03:23 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

I can supply you SYvecs, sensors with loom and wideband £1500
Old 24 February 2014, 03:30 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by a non-alcatek dealer probably.

installed a start up map today on an early classic with newage sti engine on an alcatek.

Simon
Old 24 February 2014, 04:09 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Alcatek is a great piece of kit, one of the best things I've done to my classic

Joe
Old 24 February 2014, 04:20 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

After deciding to replace my worn out version 6 sti non avcs engine with 1 from a newage I have hit a stumbling block.
Called zen performance today to enquire about a loom to run the avcs,no problem £350 and that will run the coils too.
But you will need a syvecs ecu and wideband to run it all costing the thick end of 3k fitted and mapped,ecu blank without wideband is £1299 plus vat!
If that's what that costs fair enough but how else do I get round it?
1,fit the complete loom and ecu into my car from a newage?,rather not do ths for various reasons.
2,fit my heads to the newage engine,rather not as the avcs heads must be an improvement and figuring out compression ratios will be a pain.
3,find a cheaper alternative-the preferred route.
It's been done before and surely not everyone has gone down this costly route.
Had some feedback from a breaker regards this and he said the newage ecu could be fitted to my car which is a version 6 type r sti limited,99/00 model.
Can anyone help please before I go buy something that won't work?
Ta,lee

What's the pain with the head gaskets? Is it that hard to get the right comp ratio?

I only ask as it's something I'm keen on doing myself soon.

Newage bottom with my uk turbo heads.
Old 24 February 2014, 07:55 PM
Chocador
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Y
WHY?
Probably because the dealer was a syvec distributor.
He would not elaborate as to why but just said "it's not something we would supply or recommend" when I asked why I should run away from them.
I'm not refitting my v6 heads,I'm no engine expert and I'm not getting involved with trying to salvage what's left of my engine,which has bent valves anyway and pulling apart a good engine that prob has different piston combustion chambers then figuring out compression ratios.
From my limited knowledge you have to measure the volume of fluid taken to fill the head combustion chamber and the concave top of the piston (if it's concave) then work it out from there I think.
Easier to save a bit and buy something that will be a plug and play job.
Old 24 February 2014, 11:53 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably because the dealer was a syvec distributor.
He would not elaborate as to why but just said "it's not something we would supply or recommend" when I asked why I should run away from them.
I'm not refitting my v6 heads,I'm no engine expert and I'm not getting involved with trying to salvage what's left of my engine,which has bent valves anyway and pulling apart a good engine that prob has different piston combustion chambers then figuring out compression ratios.
From my limited knowledge you have to measure the volume of fluid taken to fill the head combustion chamber and the concave top of the piston (if it's concave) then work it out from there I think.
Easier to save a bit and buy something that will be a plug and play job.
We are also Syvecs distributors, however, we are also an Alcatek dealer.
The Alcatek ecu works perfectly with the AVCS upgrade and all the add ons still costing a fraction of the cost of a Syvecs. I did a 99 Classic with the AVCS upgrade for a customer recently and he loved it.
Don't turn it down out of hand from what one person has said !
Old 25 February 2014, 07:44 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Agree with Martyn. Both syvecs and alcatek are excellent Ecus and both have their place with tuning subaru's.
Old 25 February 2014, 11:40 AM
Chocador
Scooby Regular

Yhpm
Old 25 February 2014, 11:40 AM
Chocador
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Agree with Martyn. Both syvecs and alcatek are excellent Ecus and both have their place with tuning subaru's.
Originally Posted by MartynJ
The Alcatek ecu works perfectly with the AVCS upgrade and all the add ons still costing a fraction of the cost of a Syvecs. I did a 99 Classic with the AVCS upgrade for a customer recently and he loved it.
Yhpm
Old 25 February 2014, 12:14 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
Given the choice which would you prefer? I realise there is a huge price difference, and I am not trying to sell mine from this, but surely the price difference is justified. Perhaps not for this particular car running a standard newage engine, but in most cases. I have both systems btw currently ornaments and likely to stay that way. Is the Alcatek not just Gems repackaged? Genuine question.
Old 25 February 2014, 03:15 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scubbay
Given the choice which would you prefer? I realise there is a huge price difference, and I am not trying to sell mine from this, but surely the price difference is justified. Perhaps not for this particular car running a standard newage engine, but in most cases. I have both systems btw currently ornaments and likely to stay that way. Is the Alcatek not just Gems repackaged? Genuine question.
Easiest way is ignoring the cost the syvecs is the best there is.. unfortunately cost has to factor on your decision at some point.. which is where the Alcatek comes into its own.

the Alcatek is good and the Syvecs is the best.

No the Alcatek has no link to Gems at all.. the new Simtek which is marketed by Steve Simpson is made by Gems which is the only link, in that steve simpson used to market the alcatek as a simtek originally a few years back.

Simon
Old 25 February 2014, 04:46 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!

Originally Posted by scubbay
On a value for money basis I'd choose the Alcatek every time, I don't think there is another ecu on the planet that offers everything it has for the price.
I run the Alcatek ecu on both of my own cars, one a 300hp daily drive Wagon, the other my 650hp drag car.

I'm just as happy mapping either !
Old 26 February 2014, 04:53 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Really depends what you want from ECU and mostly important for what car will be used

As above Syvecs ECU is best ECU on the market to the date for price and for features which Syvecs offering

If I would choose again ECU I would go again with Syvecs without the questions and I would think twice about the other ECU

I don't think price for fuly mapped and fitted Syvecs will be close to £3k,as above Scubbay selling his Syvecs with wideband for £1500 which is still good price for the Syvecs,mapping and fitting should cost more than £600,maybe little bit more,but this varies from what you want to add as extra like extra sensors etc

Agree AlcaTek this can win by price,but that's it and if you will ask people who and which running Syvecs,if they will choose other ECU,I'm sure they will say and confirm,they will never swap for any other ECU

Second,but more work involved is possible to run New age STI or JDM WRX ECU with appropriate loom on yours,this can be cheaper on shorter run and maybe cost effective,but still if its budget at least I would go with Syvecs,simply is worth it on longer run

But not at least,hands down customer service from Syvecs is simply best and its very hard to beat by AlcaTek/SimTek or most of the UK companies and would add I'm not dealer for above mentioned ECU

Jura
Old 26 February 2014, 08:49 AM
Chocador
Scooby Regular

Still undecided what I'm going for,biggest query is the loom and what all do I want from it,complete engine control or just avcs and coil,packs.
Old 26 February 2014, 08:57 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I have just realised some added complication - your car being a 99 means its not possible to adapt the loom to use the newage throttle by pass valve without switching the ecu to throttle by pass control (syvecs is just alterations to the map) Alcatek would need ecu altered.

Might be easier to use 99 manifold, stepper motor, coil pack and leads.. may need small alteration to clear avcs solenoids to the fuel rails
Old 26 February 2014, 09:25 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Already had that conversation by PM Simon
Recommended he spoke to someone like yourself as I don't travel too well and he can't get hold of Andy F !
Old 27 February 2014, 01:04 PM
Chocador
Scooby Regular

After discussing my options and requirements I'll be going with the syvec ecu and custom loom to add to my engine loom which will be an amalgamation of the classic and newage looms so I can keep the newage inlet and keep it looking factory.
Thanks for the replies.lee