Notices

ANTILAG on newage WRX??

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2014, 06:14 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANTILAG on newage WRX??

I have this installed on my Bugeye, with all the other bells an whistles mods wise. Its the carberry map.

An i was just wondering, how safe is it to use on the wrx?

I use it now an them for abit of fun an the occasional spirited drive.

But im guessing you cant do a track day with it.

Who has it installed, an how often do you use it?
Old 07 February 2014, 07:04 PM
scooblet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have it and mainly use it on tailgaters and to scare people!
Old 07 February 2014, 08:03 PM
iNeoTom
Scooby Regular

I have carberry installed and i only use it like scooblet above say to just get rid of tailgaters and the occasional blast up the motorway to really get it shifting

With regards to your question about how safe it is well your engine won't mind running AL but your turbo sure will especially if your still running your original TD04, with it having journal bearing they don't like the heat generated in your turbo running AL.

But if you have upgraded your turbo to a ball bearing turbo like the VF series ect... then it will last a lot longer as ball bearing turbos are what Group N and the old WRC cars used to run.

You may be able to use AL on track i have before just make sure you have a quiet exhaust and make sure you have AL turned off for scrutineering

Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 08 February 2014, 07:07 AM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iNeoTom
I have carberry installed and i only use it like scooblet above say to just get rid of tailgaters and the occasional blast up the motorway to really get it shifting

With regards to your question about how safe it is well your engine won't mind running AL but your turbo sure will especially if your still running your original TD04, with it having journal bearing they don't like the heat generated in your turbo running AL.

But if you have upgraded your turbo to a ball bearing turbo like the VF series ect... then it will last a lot longer as ball bearing turbos are what Group N and the old WRC cars used to run.

You may be able to use AL on track i have before just make sure you have a quiet exhaust and make sure you have AL turned off for scrutineering

Hope this helps.

Tom

I have a ported front entry TD05 unit, but to be honest, I'm not really concerned about that.

It's the valves on the engine that worry me I know that the STI version 7 has different, stronger an bigger valves that the wrx of the same year. So using Anti-lag isn't really a big issue (within reason).

You have put my mind at ease a little. I like think (but I maybe wrong) that Subaru designers are aware there are enthusiasts out there. That would love to take Their cars to the track. So the engine strength is quite tough, an taken into consideration.

I suppose if it was used on the odd occasion for a few minutes, AND the fluids were allowed to cool the essential parts before just switching off. It shouldn't be too bad..... Or at least that's what I like to tell myself
Old 09 February 2014, 12:34 AM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

Its the turbo that will fail, not the engine when using als

Basically the ignition is retarded so the spark fires while the exhaust valve is open, thus detonating later. The heat generated is around 1100 degrees c, usual operating temp is 800-900 degrees and its the turbo compressor wheel that takes it, and it has been known for them to simply detach from the shaft!
Gt series turbos that have a nylon bearing cage will not take als or the heat it generates.

Turbos specced for als are usually very expensive, and if matey thinks group n cars etc use a standard vf series turbo then he is very wrong!

In the odd dabble with it, the turbo should be ok but it will increase wear no matter what but if its used for long periods then id get saving for a MAR-M 247 shaft turbo.

If your just running mild als, ie it doesnt make boost then its not 'as' bad, but propper als making a bar of boost will kill standard turbos in no time
Old 09 February 2014, 12:45 AM
iNeoTom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fudgey
Its the turbo that will fail, not the engine when using als

Basically the ignition is retarded so the spark fires while the exhaust valve is open, thus detonating later. The heat generated is around 1100 degrees c, usual operating temp is 800-900 degrees and its the turbo compressor wheel that takes it, and it has been known for them to simply detach from the shaft!
Gt series turbos that have a nylon bearing cage will not take als or the heat it generates.

Turbos specced for als are usually very expensive, and if matey thinks group n cars etc use a standard vf series turbo then he is very wrong!

In the odd dabble with it, the turbo should be ok but it will increase wear no matter what but if its used for long periods then id get saving for a MAR-M 247 shaft turbo.

If your just running mild als, ie it doesnt make boost then its not 'as' bad, but propper als making a bar of boost will kill standard turbos in no time
With regards to me thinking that some group n cars use the VF series turbos i am only going off what has been quoted on here and all over on many different sites like the following all quoting the VF24 has been used for group n:-

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...90&postcount=1

http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/242880-post2.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...52&postcount=2

So matey it doesn't just seem to be me that thinks this.
Old 09 February 2014, 03:41 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

It wont be standard vf turbo tho, which is what i said lol