Notices

Help needed for new turbo

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2013, 12:53 AM
stugsey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed for new turbo

I have a 04 blobeye sti with a aps sr40 turbo but I am unsure what turbo to go for next.can any1 give me info on a good turbo,i have all the supporting mods ie aps 725 fmic aps fuelling system asp cold air kit aps hard pipe fit 850cc injectors RCM headers&pipe Walbro 255 fuel pump full decat Haywood & Scott exhaust system coyo huge fast rad greedy oil cooler 71 degree thermostat breather kit ect. Also is there any point in going for meth not sure if I will gain anything. Thanks for reading
Old 24 December 2013, 06:13 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

APS SR40 are not the best turbo and they're usually too laggy and they will never make power for what they're been designed

You have nice spec and I would say,you have quite big choices of turbo.Only depends on budget and desired power what you would like to run

I would go with SC42 or MDX321T,both working well on the 2.0L and both will make nice numbers,what I would probably upgrade is ECU,you can go like with AlcaTek or Syvecs

Second choice of the turbo is go with John@BRD(Braveheart developments) turbo,he making Garrett based turbo which are making nice numbers and he have few choices of the turbos and those turbos making power and have awesome spool,pricewise those turbo are cheaper than SC42 or MDX321 range,warranty is too 1 year

Jura
Old 25 December 2013, 01:38 PM
stugsey
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura for the reply. I don't really have a budget as I want the best and reliability for the car. Forgot to mention that I am only changing the turbo due to lost boost the other day when driving the car, I was giving it a bit of stick, then driving normal for a few miles when no boost was happening. There was no bang,no oil, no smoke nothing just lost boost. So drove car home, phoned the mechanic I use ( subaru Mechanic ) but he has not had chance to look at it yet. I will know in a few days what the out come is. Also the car made 427 bhp and just under 400 flbs from the aps sr 40 which is not bad as I have seen some bad comments on forums about the turbo. So I am not sure wat the problem is at the moment. I do want similar power if not a bit more as long as it is safe, the car has been running this power for 7 years now and has not lost a beat. It is a really good strong car with just turned 30k on her which i hardly use. I've been told about the sc42 and the md turbo. Do you know anything about the mdx555 turbo from turbo dynamics or the sc46 or would this be too laggy and would i need another remap. Thanks for reading
Old 25 December 2013, 07:54 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stugsey
Thanks Jura for the reply. I don't really have a budget as I want the best and reliability for the car. Forgot to mention that I am only changing the turbo due to lost boost the other day when driving the car, I was giving it a bit of stick, then driving normal for a few miles when no boost was happening. There was no bang,no oil, no smoke nothing just lost boost. So drove car home, phoned the mechanic I use ( subaru Mechanic ) but he has not had chance to look at it yet. I will know in a few days what the out come is. Also the car made 427 bhp and just under 400 flbs from the aps sr 40 which is not bad as I have seen some bad comments on forums about the turbo. So I am not sure wat the problem is at the moment. I do want similar power if not a bit more as long as it is safe, the car has been running this power for 7 years now and has not lost a beat. It is a really good strong car with just turned 30k on her which i hardly use. I've been told about the sc42 and the md turbo. Do you know anything about the mdx555 turbo from turbo dynamics or the sc46 or would this be too laggy and would i need another remap. Thanks for reading

Hi there

I would check intercooler pipework if its OK and if are tightened enough and I would check too all vacuum pipes if they're OK and plugged where they should be

Nice power you are made on the SR40,usually those turbo are not making power as they should plus what I've seen they're been laggy like on 2.0L or 2.5L

I would go with SC42 or MDX555-400 or 450,both will be nice turbo on yours and will be not laggy and they will make power what you are now running and I would suspect they will make little bit more too on yours

SC46 on 2.0L not sure If I would choose,this turbo is more suited 2.1L or 2.5L like 2.0L,if on 2.0L then in Twin scroll form seems are better

Yes you will need to run off the boost until car is mapped

Jura
Old 25 December 2013, 11:12 PM
stugsey
Scooby Regular

Hi Jura
Thanks for your positive comments, I will probably go for the sc42 or mdx 555 I think,not sure which mapper to use that's if the turbo has gone. Many thanks and merry Xmas
Old 26 December 2013, 12:33 AM
Rbon91
Scooby Regular

Got a MD321T non billet 76mm inlet

Cheers Ryan
Old 28 December 2013, 08:03 PM
stugsey
Scooby Regular

Hi Ryan, I'm looking for a billet 1 m8 and Coated tbh. But thanks for the offer all the best with your sale