Notices

What Impreza engine is this?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2013, 11:02 AM
davices
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Impreza engine is this?

Hi everyone, new to the forum and just have a couple of questions please, sorry for the long post. I'm looking at an Sti but it has had an engine swap, I am based in the Czech Republic and someone imported the car to use the Sti engine for rallycross, they have then replaced the engine with what I believe is called the GT engine in Europe. First of all I wondered if it was possible from the picture to identify the engine? The code is EJ20 but I am unsure of standard power output etc. I also want to know so I can plan future engine mods, I believe some of the earlier ECU's can't be remapped, not sure how I can tell if this is the case with this engine? Thanks in advance.

Old 08 November 2013, 11:11 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Looks like a v5/6 wrx engine to me.

As for the ecu, it'll be under the carpet in the passengers foot well. Remove the carpet and the outer case and post another pic.
Old 08 November 2013, 11:22 AM
d13ano
Scooby Regular

It's a version 3/4 engine. Looks pretty standard so 212bhp. And as for the ecu you cannot map v1-4 unless you go for an aftermarket ecu.
Old 08 November 2013, 11:41 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

you can get esl board fitted and mapped.
Old 08 November 2013, 11:44 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

I did mean 3/4. Just stuttered. Based on the coil pack being in the centre and not on the right.
Old 08 November 2013, 12:01 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

Wow fast replies, thanks everyone. So it is the GT engine/UK 2000 engine, that is a pain about the ECU though, I will look into the ESL board but as I'm not in the UK I don't know if this will be possible. I will take a pic of the ECU over the weekend so I can tell exactly which one I have.
Old 08 November 2013, 12:04 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

I'm sending an ESL board to CZR as we speak so it isn't a problem.
Old 08 November 2013, 12:07 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
I'm sending an ESL board to CZR as we speak so it isn't a problem.
Thanks Andy, so I could just get the ESL ECU remapped in Czech? As in any remap company could do the remap?
Old 08 November 2013, 12:09 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Its quite easy to use, people both DIY and take to tuners.

More Info:
www.facebook.com/EnduringSolutionsLtd
www.enduringsolutions.com/InfoSheet.pdf
www.enduringsolutions.com/Manual.pdf

Cheers
Old 08 November 2013, 12:19 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

Ah so it has a DIY option, this is perfect then, both my father and brother in law are mechanics so they would be able to set it up for me. Thanks again for your help.
Old 08 November 2013, 12:29 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As above... taking it at face value, a MY97/98 one (the centre coilpack is the giveaway).

In the European "GT Turbo" cars, the official figures will be 208bhp and 214lb ft. It has a front entry TD04L turbo.

But after a remap you should typically get IRO of 270-290bhp (and a similar percentage increase in torque).

Last edited by joz8968; 08 November 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08 November 2013, 07:51 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joz8968
As above... taking it at face value, a MY97/98 one (the centre coilpack is the giveaway).

In the European "GT Turbo" cars, the official figures will be 208bhp and 214lb ft. It has a front entry TD04L turbo.

But after a remap you should typically get IRO of 270-290bhp (and a similar percentage increase in torque).
Thanks for the info, anywhere near those figures would be great. To be honest I would be happy with 240-250bhp, I just wouldn't want an Sti with only 210bhp!

It already has a back box, so thinking centre and de-cat, panel filter and re-map, that should do for now.
Old 09 November 2013, 02:44 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Yep. They would be the supporting mods to make the most of the remap, esp. the decat d/p.

Another 'must have' is a new fuel pump. As the OEM one is prob near the end of its life, or the voltage may be low.
Most people opt for an uprated one like the Walbro 255, Bosch, or RCM's pump. I think the RCM supplied pump is supposed to be the best performing/most reliable one.

It's also a good idea to give the car a mini service beforehand: new NGK PFR 7B plugs, new OEM fuel filter, check oil level, etc., etc. Just to ensure the motor's in tiptop condition, before being put through the arduous process of mapping.

Last edited by joz8968; 09 November 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09 November 2013, 11:54 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

OP, does this replacement engine's driver side black cambelt cover still have the silver sticker with black writing on (unlikely )? If so, that will be the engine's code... Does it begin "EJ20G..." or "EJ20K..."?

If the former then it's a WRX/GT Turbo/Turbo 2000 spec (no nominal forged pistons).

If the latter, then it's an STi spec with the forged pistons. I think also the heads have more aggressive cams in too. Indeed, the STi v.3/4 heads are supposed to be the best Classic ones.

However, that said, once again taking the engine bay at face value, it does indeed look like WRX/GT Turbo/Turbo 2000 spec one, as it has the smaller black intercooler. (The STi has a slightly larger, silver job with all-metal Y-pipe and red silicone turbo hose).

Last edited by joz8968; 09 November 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10 November 2013, 08:29 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

Yep. They would be the supporting mods to make the most of the remap, esp. the decat d/p.

Another 'must have' is a new fuel pump. As the OEM one is prob near the end of its life, or the voltage may be low.
Most people opt for an uprated one like the Walbro 255, Bosch, or RCM's pump. I think the RCM supplied pump is supposed to be the best performing/most reliable one.

It's also a good idea to give the car a mini service beforehand: new NGK PFR 7B plugs, new OEM fuel filter, check oil level, etc., etc. Just to ensure the motor's in tiptop condition, before being put through the arduous process of mapping.
I have been reading a few threads on the site and seen the fuel pump mentioned a few times, I will add this to my shopping list. Car will be serviced over the next few days, oils, filter etc. I stripped down the brakes (with the help of a mechanic) today, so they will be cleaned up and new pads fitted. The car has been stood for months so I plan to run it for a few weeks before I carry out any mods, just to make sure everything is running right first.
Old 10 November 2013, 08:35 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

OP, does this replacement engine's driver side black cambelt cover still have the silver sticker with black writing on (unlikely )? If so, that will be the engine's code... Does it begin "EJ20G..." or "EJ20K..."?

If the former then it's a WRX/GT Turbo/Turbo 2000 spec (no nominal forged pistons).

If the latter, then it's an STi spec with the forged pistons. I think also the heads have more aggressive cams in too. Indeed, the STi v.3/4 heads are supposed to be the best Classic ones.

However, that said, once again taking the engine bay at face value, it does indeed look like WRX/GT Turbo/Turbo 2000 spec one, as it has the smaller black intercooler. (The STi has a slightly larger, silver job with all-metal Y-pipe and red silicone turbo hose).
Ah, didn't read this before working on the car today, will have a look for the engine code, thanks. I know it says EJ20 somewhere, but not sure if it has a letter after it as it wasn't me that saw the code.

I think everyone was right and it is the the engine you say, but the shell itself is an STI.

I went hunting for the ECU today, someone mentioned under the passenger carpets, but all I could find was this behind the glove box, please could someone confirm this is the main ECU before I take off the cover?

Old 10 November 2013, 08:44 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

yours being a left hand drive? I assume. It may be under the drivers feet. Lift the carpet. There is an unmissable steel plate with 4 bolts. Remove the place and you will see the ecu
Old 10 November 2013, 08:48 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
yours being a left hand drive? I assume. It may be under the drivers feet. Lift the carpet. There is an unmissable steel plate with 4 bolts. Remove the place and you will see the ecu
Yes left hand drive, but I think it has been converted from RHD. Will take both carpets up tomorrow and have a look, thanks.
Old 10 November 2013, 08:56 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davices
Yes left hand drive, but I think it has been converted from RHD. Will take both carpets up tomorrow and have a look, thanks.
Likely ti be drivers side imo
Old 10 November 2013, 10:17 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Hi. It might help.
Your ECU will be hidden under big, silver in colour plate like this one.

Old 10 November 2013, 10:37 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyForLife27
Hi. It might help.
Your ECU will be hidden under big, silver in colour plate like this one.
Yes that's very helpful thanks
Old 10 November 2013, 10:40 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

No worries :-)
May I ask where in Czech R. do you live ?
Old 10 November 2013, 10:43 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

Sure, I live right down in the South, near Ceske Budejovice.
Old 10 November 2013, 10:47 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Ok. Asking because my parents live in Austria, Vienna and my parents in law live in Poland so travel through Czech R. at least twice a year :-)
Old 10 November 2013, 10:51 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

Driving through Svitavy, Brno etc. so opposite side to you unfortunately :-( Could come for a chat with Zlaty Bazant :-)
Old 10 November 2013, 10:57 PM
davices
Scooby Regular

Ah I see, I'm right on the Austrian border and only 100 or so km to Vienna, still haven't been though unfortunately :-(

It's a lovely part of Europe and I bet you love the drive, I can't wait to get the car on the road, some fantastic roads and very few cops where I live!!
Old 10 November 2013, 11:05 PM
ScoobyForLife27
Scooby Regular

What a shame. Only a 100 kms and you've never been to Vienna ?! Beautiful place to see !
Yeah, I love to drive and roads there but unfortunately Impreza isn't a family car, especially with only 2 seats (car is stripped with cage fitted etc.) so have to use my other car, Ford S Max. Promised myself I'll take my Impreza for such a journey one day :-)

Good Luck with your car buddy.
Old 11 November 2013, 09:36 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Are either of you Czech, born and raised?
'Cause your English is first rate.

Last edited by joz8968; 11 November 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11 November 2013, 09:51 AM
davices
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyForLife27
What a shame. Only a 100 kms and you've never been to Vienna ?! Beautiful place to see !
Yeah, I love to drive and roads there but unfortunately Impreza isn't a family car, especially with only 2 seats (car is stripped with cage fitted etc.) so have to use my other car, Ford S Max. Promised myself I'll take my Impreza for such a journey one day :-)

Good Luck with your car buddy.
I've not been here long, still working my way around the Czech Breweries before I venture to Vienna

You definitely need to do the trip at least once in the Impreza, would be a good road trip.

Cheers, fingers crossed with the car, may even have it up and running by the weekend
Old 11 November 2013, 09:52 AM
davices
Scooby Regular

Are either of you Czech, born and raised?
'Cause your English is first rate. : thumb:
I'm 100 % English mate, Yorkshire born and raised

My Mrs is Czech, she however speaks perfect English, in fact she is constantly correcting me!!!

Quick Reply: What Impreza engine is this?