Notices

Solved: Classic Wagon Water Leak - Culprit: Roof Spoiler Brackets

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2013, 03:27 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solved: Classic Wagon Water Leak - Culprit: Roof Spoiler Brackets

I've spent the last 2 weeks trying to work out why the boot carpet was getting wet and spare wheel well looked like a pond in the back of my classic wagon. I'd tried all the usual suspects and ruled out the common cause of the rear lights (which I had recently replaced so seemed likely) and have finally tracked it down.

The water was getting in via the (very rusty) metal bracket(s) at the top of the rear window which bolt to the spoiler on the outside and loop round the metal frame of the boot and are screwed to the other side. Water seems to have been tracking round the bracket and through the hole in the boot lid then running down the inside of the boot hatch and coming out of one of the holes at the bottom of the door which is on the inside of the boot seal.

I've now removed both of these flimsy little brackets and sealed up the screw holes, as I couldn't actually see what purpose the brackets served. The spoiler itself seems to be attached to the rear window on big substantial mounts which is are what actually holds it on (parts 1 and 5) in the 1st diagram.

Does anyone with a classic know what purpose the brackets I've removed actually have as my car seems to be doing fine without them now? They are part numbers 24 and 16 in the 2nd diagram below.

Also, I'm posting this here in the hope that it might help someone else with a classic wagon solve their water leak too, if they find this in the search results.

Old 29 October 2013, 04:34 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are just a mechanical fixing(safety brackets) incase the bonder fails on the window holding the larger bracket. Stops the top spoiler flying off and killing the following drivers.
Old 29 October 2013, 05:17 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Hmmm - maybe I should re-paint them and put them back on then, with a generous helping of sealant around where the screw goes (the point of water entry).
Old 29 October 2013, 05:44 PM
Scooby Stevo
Scooby Regular

can you post a pic where the water is entering? ta
Old 29 October 2013, 06:09 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Here's the screw, where the bracket was attached. I've put sealant around it to ensure that water isn't getting in any more and have done this to both sides. You can see where the rust residue is on the paintwork too, in the second picture. Also, excuse the dirtyness of the car - I haven't cleaned it in ages!

I found that when I took the inside trim off the tailgate, it was wet inside the tailgate 'cavity' at the bottom The fact that the bracket was soaking wet (easy to tell when it was rust coloured!) as well as the screw made me think this may be how the water was getting in. I had already ruled out where the rubber grommet enters the tailgate, as I had put sealant round that over a week ago, thinking it may be the cause and the boot was still getting wet afterwards.

And here is a picture of the brackets with a fresh coat of POR15 paint on them hanging up to dry. They'll be getting a 2nd coat of paint too, before they go back on the car (including the bit I haven't painted yet!):

Old 29 October 2013, 06:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Seal the whole lot with this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

Non-setting mastic, won't allow water through, but the parts CAN be removed later if necessary.
Old 29 October 2013, 06:37 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Seal the whole lot with this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

Non-setting mastic, won't allow water through, but the parts CAN be removed later if necessary.
Don't worry - I've not been using silicon - done that in the past on other cars and have learnt how hard it is to remove again!

I've been using non-drying windscreen sealant that I bought for doing my rear lights with originally. Apparently, Nissan use the exact same product for their rear light clusters and as I need to replace a cluster on my GF's Nissan Micra, it seemed perfect.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280972348440

Last edited by ben.harris; 29 October 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 30 October 2013, 12:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Similar stuff then.