Notices

Inner wing air box (snorkel)

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2013, 12:13 AM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inner wing air box (snorkel)

After a bit of advice guys. I've just brought a classic Scoob and the previous owner removed the inner wing air box to get the induction noise. My question is, does doing this have any positive or negative affects?

Matt
Old 27 October 2013, 01:30 AM
jap_master
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its better, better flow of air, less restriction.
Old 27 October 2013, 04:02 AM
daijones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harvey Smith found that it increased turbulence in the air flow, confusing the MAF a little. Depends on what's replaced it I guess, just whipping it out probably a bad idea. I did have a replacement intake elbow by GP Moto that connected the intake duct to the filter box, but I took it out because I was worried it was making the turbo response a little spiky. The OEM snorkel evens out the air flow and helps trap water in the intake as well as reducing intake noise, but I think it's pretty marginal to be honest. I wouldn't worry about it too much
Old 27 October 2013, 03:08 PM
Matt23
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daijones
Harvey Smith found that it increased turbulence in the air flow, confusing the MAF a little. Depends on what's replaced it I guess, just whipping it out probably a bad idea. I did have a replacement intake elbow by GP Moto that connected the intake duct to the filter box, but I took it out because I was worried it was making the turbo response a little spiky. The OEM snorkel evens out the air flow and helps trap water in the intake as well as reducing intake noise, but I think it's pretty marginal to be honest. I wouldn't worry about it too much
Thanks mate, there is nothing in the wing that has replaced it, it's just an empty hole, think I might try and put it back in as I'm not fan of the intake noise to be honest.

Matt