Notices

back bearings affect steering

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2013, 10:02 AM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back bearings affect steering

hi, could bad rear bearings affect the steering?

it is particulary bad when turning on a hill/slope/gradient - the steering seems to 'collapse' or when putting any real weight is put into a corner - like a long roundabout where 'G' is amassed.

thanks
Old 30 October 2013, 06:22 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

bump.

is noone able to help?

thanks.
Old 30 October 2013, 09:52 PM
codfather
Scooby Regular

not sure here..have you checked ps fluid?
Old 31 October 2013, 12:05 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I had something similar on my car - roundabouts where a nightmare etc.

Turned out to be the steering rack knuckle that was almost falling off! Basically the nut that is clamping the column onto the rack splines was loose, which allowed the column to withdraw about 95% of the way, and essentially pivot on top of the splines. Munched my splines, but at least i didn't kill myself / anyone else
Old 31 October 2013, 02:44 AM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a big long thread on one of the other forums (RS25 forum, I think edit: found it - here) talking about power steering 'looseness' and 'see-sawing' when cornering. It seems that air can get drawn in to the PAS fluid when the steering is being made to work hard (e.g. roundabouts) and this can give a see-sawing effect on the steering wheel. The solution is to replace all the PAS pipe clamps with screw-down jubilee types. Even though there may be no evidence of fluid leaking, air can still be getting sucked in as the OEM clips are not particularly strong.

A lot of people rubbished the idea on the forum, but then after trying it were amazed to find that it fixed the strange steering feel. If that doesn't work, then apparently there is an o-ring at the bottom of the PAS reservoir that can do a similar thing letting in air that need replacing too.

So far, I've replaced the 4 PAS jubilee clips at the top side of the engine and the PAS fluid. I haven't yet replaced the 2 clips on the rack or the o-ring. My steering feels better, but still not quite 100% right yet so the other clips and possibly the o-ring are on my to-do list.

Apologies if none of these are they symptoms you're seeing!

Last edited by ben.harris; 31 October 2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 31 October 2013, 12:36 PM
walterwhite
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies.

well, i had the car in the garage who said they couldn't find anything wrong with the steering. surely they would have checked the PS fluid?

i'm not really knowledgable on cars, but maybe i can check

on 90 degree turns going uphill or on a slope, it can feel like the car is turning on its axis, if that is the right term...

like a tank can turn on the spot, by moving both tracks in different directions at the same time - thats what it feels like on a hill, but surely this is impossible? it has that sensation anyway, whether it is some kind of illusion.

also a visual indictor of what is going in is with the steering wheel - if you are stationary, full lock at one side, then creep forward with no hands on the wheel, you will see how jerky the steering wheel returns to its normal position, where it should turn relatively smooth.

i could try put up a video if that would help?

Last edited by walterwhite; 31 October 2013 at 12:38 PM.