Notices

Blitz Dual drive blow off valve question

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2013, 12:13 AM
gerryirl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blitz Dual drive blow off valve question

I have 2 questions in one. I had a Blitz super sound blow off valve dual drive on a 2003 sti. When I bought it I was told by my local subaru garage to take it off as it was non recirculating and thus not good for the car. Is this the case? what damage or harm could it it have done. Also can the same one be fitted to my now 2006 sti and would it have the same effect harm wise

Thanks
Old 18 October 2013, 12:01 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

There are probably hundreds of threads on here explaining why the VTA valves are harmful. The Subaru garage are correct you are better off running with the standard recirc valve, unless you are running mafless or are mapped correctly to run the VTA valve which I presume you aren't.

the same valve could be fitted but why bother, if it causes harm on the 03 then its going to cause harm on the 06! the VTA valve causes generally **** running, bore wash and incorrect fuelling which could eventually have severe consequences.

unless you wish to damage your engine and sound like an **** whilst doing it then i'd stick with the original recirc valve or get an uprated one

Last edited by sunny1989; 18 October 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 18 October 2013, 12:18 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

theres loads of threads (a newb turns up and asks this question twice a week!) about peoples opinions on dump valves. ALOT of people hate them (when used without deleting the maf sensor), but there are a few die hard supporters who have hem and are insistant its not a problem.

Jist is, if you use an atmospheric dump valve and a maf, you MAY have idling and oil contamination issues..... argument from the haters is WHY put one on if you COULD have running issues, when all you get for the trouble is a more audible dump noise.... however it could be fine for years.

Issue being, that air passes through your filter and through a maf sensor (mass air flow) this measures the volume of air going into the system. This then goes through the turbo and sits as pressure in your intercooler ready to go through the throttle body. If this pressure gets too high (like shutting the throttle at a gearchange), the recirc dump valve opens and sticks it back to the low pressure side of the turbo (after the maf), so none of the maf measured air is escaping and as such, eventually it will go through the turbo and get jiggy with the fuel which the ecu has accounted for to burn with a set amount of maf measured air ..... perfect air/fuel ratio ..... happy days!

if you fit an atmospheric dump valve, your letting air out which has fuel waiting for it .... upshot being that fuel doesnt get its air, and goes through the engine alone .... unloved .... and unhappy! :-(

you pay alot of money for that fuel .... let it be all it can be ...... give it the air it needs to be a complete droplet of fuel rather than a smudge of grease on a cold piece of tarmac somehwhere!
Old 18 October 2013, 01:07 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
you pay alot of money for that fuel .... let it be all it can be ...... give it the air it needs to be a complete droplet of fuel rather than a smudge of grease on a cold piece of tarmac somehwhere!
This tugged on my heart strings like poetry. I really feel for that fuel....
Old 18 October 2013, 11:59 PM
gerryirl
Scooby Regular

thanks alot for the detailed replies guys and to sunny for making me laugh with your straight talking answer. I'll put it up on ebay I think and let some other fella be an **** lol. How much is one worth. its a wonder blitz are selling these when they can cause such issues