Notices

Simple performance mods?

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2013, 12:56 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple performance mods?

Wasn't really looking to modify the engine at all on my car but it just doesn't seem to have the performance like my old seat leon did.

It was only a 1.8 20v turbo but was pushing out just shy of 250bhp with a 6 speed box

I now have a 2005 WRX SL with the PPP pack on, but the car doesn't really do it for me at the moment, I have been reading that the exhaust system really restrict these is that right?

Any opinion or pointers to get it to give a bit of better performance would be hugely appreciated
Old 23 September 2013, 11:18 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Rob Kelz
Wasn't really looking to modify the engine at all on my car but it just doesn't seem to have the performance like my old seat leon did.

It was only a 1.8 20v turbo but was pushing out just shy of 250bhp with a 6 speed box

I now have a 2005 WRX SL with the PPP pack on, but the car doesn't really do it for me at the moment, I have been reading that the exhaust system really restrict these is that right?

Any opinion or pointers to get it to give a bit of better performance would be hugely appreciated
Personally I would say make the engine breath a little better......Exhaust, maybe down pipe, induction or performance panel filter, fuel pump then a remap.....should see off the Leon

Look on here for quality second hand parts and it wont brake the bank neither.
Old 24 September 2013, 03:16 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Speak with Neil@Slowboy Racing,he's located just near Brands Hatch and I would suggest speak with him about the mapping yours car

With what mods I would go,probably as first decatted downpipe(2.5") and decatted centre pipe(2.5"),fuel pump upgrade(HRC 255LPH) and better panel filter(K&N or Green Cotton),decatted Up pipe(STI Up pipe cost around £40-£50)

With those simple mods you should be able to make somewhere from 270-300bhp,depends on few factors,but usually 270-280bhp is quite normal

More expensive will be if you want to go above 300bhp,due this i would speak first with Neil about the next steps

Jura
Old 24 September 2013, 10:19 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suggest you go for a few handling mods and a geo set up, get some negative camber to help it go where you point it, and you'll find it's a much quicker car than the power would suggest, you might also want to look at the brakes too.

Imo you shouldn't really need much more power once set up properly the speed you can carry into the bends and out of them will be the main factor in making the car quicker, in my experience once you get into 3rd on a country road it's all about the handling and the brakes, more power won't necessarily make you faster.
Old 24 September 2013, 12:07 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Am I able to get negative camber without adding coilovers and camber kits? Like is the car currently adjustable as standard or am I going to need a kit to do this?

Also how does the geo setup work? Is this kind of like the tracking etc?
Old 24 September 2013, 12:08 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

Speak with Neil@Slowboy Racing,he's located just near Brands Hatch and I would suggest speak with him about the mapping yours car

With what mods I would go,probably as first decatted downpipe(2.5") and decatted centre pipe(2.5"),fuel pump upgrade(HRC 255LPH) and better panel filter(K&N or Green Cotton),decatted Up pipe(STI Up pipe cost around £40-£50)

With those simple mods you should be able to make somewhere from 270-300bhp,depends on few factors,but usually 270-280bhp is quite normal

More expensive will be if you want to go above 300bhp,due this i would speak first with Neil about the next steps

Jura
Any particular reason as to why go for the 2.5" setp and not the 3"?

It's got a prodrive rear box is this ok or would you recommend changing this?

And is an STI up pipe a direct swap for my original? As I was told the prodrive have a different up pipe to a standard WRX?
Old 24 September 2013, 01:05 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd go full 3" bore system, really does improve the acceleration, plus induction kit, although i have panel filter not noticed any change apart from a slight stutter now and again
Old 24 September 2013, 04:43 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Am I able to get negative camber without adding coilovers and camber kits? Like is the car currently adjustable as standard or am I going to need a kit to do this?

Also how does the geo setup work? Is this kind of like the tracking etc?

Hi there

Yes you can have more camber without the going with coilovers and camber kits,on Subaru you can use camber bolts,which cost £25

Like now you should be able to have negative camber at -1.3',which is in most cases enough,but main difference you will find when someone will set yours suspension right

Yes is something like tracking,as I said speak with Neil@Slowboy racing,he setup our suspension and we are very happy with his work

Neil@Slowboy racing now doing full wheel alignment and its worth the money have suspension set

Jura

Any particular reason as to why go for the 2.5" setp and not the 3"?

It's got a prodrive rear box is this ok or would you recommend changing this?

And is an STI up pipe a direct swap for my original? As I was told the prodrive have a different up pipe to a standard WRX?
Hi there

2.5" is not restrictive up to 350-400bhp,what can be restrictive above 350bhp can be the backbox(if you are running Prodrive),the I would have look on still awesome TSL Group N backbox,have run this and still we are prefer this backbox awesome noise and not loud,slightly louder than Prodrive backbox

About the Up pipe,STI Up pipe is decatted and WRX is usually catted(have cat inside),only 2.5L WRX don't have catted Up pipe

Jura
Old 24 September 2013, 08:17 PM
daiski
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Yes you can have more camber without the going with coilovers and camber kits,on Subaru you can use camber bolts,which cost £25

Like now you should be able to have negative camber at -1.3',which is in most cases enough,but main difference you will find when someone will set yours suspension right

Yes is something like tracking,as I said speak with Neil@Slowboy racing,he setup our suspension and we are very happy with his work

Neil@Slowboy racing now doing full wheel alignment and its worth the money have suspension set

Jura

Hi there

2.5" is not restrictive up to 350-400bhp,what can be restrictive above 350bhp can be the backbox(if you are running Prodrive),the I would have look on still awesome TSL Group N backbox,have run this and still we are prefer this backbox awesome noise and not loud,slightly louder than Prodrive backbox

About the Up pipe,STI Up pipe is decatted and WRX is usually catted(have cat inside),only 2.5L WRX don't have catted Up pipe

Jura
not to loud ? i thought that was the subaru way ?.... lol

simple question, is it up to date on a service?

Last edited by daiski; 24 September 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 24 September 2013, 08:22 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

It is on 83k and last service was done 80,000
Old 24 September 2013, 08:24 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Jura

Hi there

Jura
Do you know a rough price what it will cost me to have all the alignment and geo setup?
Old 24 September 2013, 08:25 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Do you know a rough price what it will cost me to have all the alignment and geo setup?
Hi there

I think prices start from £70

Jura
Old 24 September 2013, 08:58 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jura is defo talking sense with handling advise, if you get more power from it you will soon realise that the brakes arent up to much either, once you prepare your car this way you could go down the route of sc38 or sc40, pink injectors a 255 pump and a map and your car will be a ****ing weapon on the road there wont be a lot out there that could compete
Old 24 September 2013, 11:50 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can have your alignment sorted for as little as £40, all you need to know are some settings, google is your friend.

Since I had mine done recently it's made a world of difference to the way she handles, mine has some stiffer springs and I run 18's too, added to my AP 4pots up front and it makes for a pretty quick daily driver, and that's only with the PPP, for me it's all about driving style, which needs to be adjusted for every type of subaru, but make no mistake it will take something running some pretty serious power to leave one of these cars in it's wake when set up and driven properly.

I still have more to do as it's still lacking when pushed hard but I know what needs to be done to make it a serious point to point tool and it doesn't involve power increases.
Old 25 September 2013, 08:38 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Ok guys thanks for the advice, are these the bolts I need to add some camber? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Rea...item41721c6006
Old 25 September 2013, 10:40 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Ok guys thanks for the advice, are these the bolts I need to add some camber? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Rea...item41721c6006
Yes those you will need,have look too at Camskill website,there think are cheaper

Jura
Old 29 September 2013, 05:59 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Evening all, I've now had my car for just over a week and I think something is wrong

Previously I had a seat Leon Cupra 1.8 20v turbo(180bhp) I fitted a front mount, forge turbo intake pipe, forge recirc valve, 3" downpipe decat and a 2.5" cat back cobra sport system and a remap to which it was running just shy of 250bhp and 267ft/lb k03s turbo at 1.3bar

As you know I have a 2005 impreza wrx ppp so roughly 260bhp I believe? But my Leon was far quicker or at least it felt it. And also the impreza seems to use a lot of fuel even sensible daily driving. Is this usual as I know they do like a bit of fuel anyway

On the plus what could I do for a bit of extra power as it seems so sluggish, it's like sometimes if I accelerate in first you don't feel the turbo kick in, other times you can feel it when you have the revs kept up so the boost is up there still

Recommendations please guys.
Old 29 September 2013, 06:25 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

New age(01-07) is heavier than yours Leon Cupra

I would recommend get yours car mapped,with extra remap you can extra bhp,but still I would rather go with the slightly bigger turbo like VF28,VF34,pink injectors and then you should have nice 320-350bhp

Really depends how far you want to go

Jura
Old 29 September 2013, 06:28 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. Would that power be ok on standard internals?

At the moment it's standard apart from the prodrivr backbox etc

I was thinking of going for a nap speed header, decat uppipe and a 3" turbo back exhaust system would this free the car up better and be a bit more responsive?

Also would the above bolt together with a vf34 and pink injectors?

Last edited by Rob Kelz; 29 September 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 29 September 2013, 06:34 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Also what would the spool time be like as the car seems pretty laggy as my Leon had a smaller turbo so a bit of throttle and it was pretty much there

What are the vf35 like too as I found one of them
Old 29 September 2013, 06:36 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

You don't need to buy new headers,you will loose spool with aftermarket headers,rather I would have look on ported OE headers or possibly STI headers

Decat Up pipe as above speak with Alyn@AS Performance or try source STI Up pipe,those two are better choice

3" exhaust you don't need,arther I would go with 2.5" decat downpipe and centre pipe,with 3" at the 350bhp you will loose torque and can loose bhp,3" is good if you are thinking go above 350bhp

Yes pink injectors and VF34 or V28/V35 or any other TD05-16G will be straight bolt on

WRX internals,this depends,we run for few months without the issue 350bhp,some people run on their WRX 400bhp without the issue,really depends on few factors

I would suggest speak with Neil@Slowboy racing and get car check for DET,AFR and compression and then you ill know for sure if its OK to run this power

Jura
Old 29 September 2013, 06:39 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Also what would the spool time be like as the car seems pretty laggy as my Leon had a smaller turbo so a bit of throttle and it was pretty much there

We run VF34 on our WRX and this has been best turbo what we are tried,VF35 not sure,tried only once and not sure,I've been disappointed with VF35

VF34 is better,but more expensive choice

If you will put something like 20G on yours WRX then you can feel lag,but with those above mentioned turbo you should be OK

Jura
Old 29 September 2013, 07:53 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Previously I had a seat Leon Cupra 1.8 20v turbo(180bhp) I fitted a front mount, forge turbo intake pipe, forge recirc valve, 3" downpipe decat and a 2.5" cat back cobra sport system and a remap to which it was running just shy of 250bhp and 267ft/lb k03s turbo at 1.3bar

As you know I have a 2005 impreza wrx ppp so roughly 260bhp I believe? But my Leon was far quicker or at least it felt it. And also the impreza seems to use a lot of fuel even sensible daily driving. Is this usual as I know they do like a bit of fuel anyway
You're trying to compare apples to pears!

All Impreza's are crap on fuel, get used to it, or get rid of it.
Old 29 September 2013, 09:45 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Evening all, I've now had my car for just over a week and I think something is wrong

On the plus what could I do for a bit of extra power as it seems so sluggish, it's like sometimes if I accelerate in first you don't feel the turbo kick in, other times you can feel it when you have the revs kept up so the boost is up there still

Recommendations please guys.
You had a health check on your impreza? You might be right, it maybe under performing, but you are comparing a tuner leon to a standard Scoob,

Get a health check, remote the cats, get a map
Old 29 September 2013, 10:51 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
You had a health check on your impreza? You might be right, it maybe under performing, but you are comparing a tuner leon to a standard Scoob,

Get a health check, remote the cats, get a map
I haven't yet no, I'm going to see about getting a health check done soon along with a service

After reading around I think I will be going for a VF34, planned mods are

VF34
Pink injectors
Decatted uppipe
Turbo back exhaust system, all cats removed or I may have a sports cat downpipe
Was thinking of going for an STI intercooler, what are your thoughts on this?

What is the best air filter application to go for? Would you recommend any particular dump valve or is the standard ok and is the standard turbo inlet hose ok or would you recommend upgrading this.
Old 29 September 2013, 11:23 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I haven't yet no, I'm going to see about getting a health check done soon along with a service

After reading around I think I will be going for a VF34, planned mods are

VF34
Pink injectors
Decatted uppipe
Turbo back exhaust system, all cats removed or I may have a sports cat downpipe
Was thinking of going for an STI intercooler, what are your thoughts on this?

What is the best air filter application to go for? Would you recommend any particular dump valve or is the standard ok and is the standard turbo inlet hose ok or would you recommend upgrading this.
Hi there

If you want to keep Prodrive backbox then you will need to buy downpipe and centre pipe,if you don't want to keep Prodrive,then you have lots of choices in the exhaust department

STI TMIC,depends how far you want to go as I said previously,if you want keep around 320-330bhp then I would keep WRX TMIC

Best air filter,I would go with K&N or Green Cotton Panel Air filter,standard dump valve is OK and will be OK for yours needs

Inlet hose,depends if yours existing is in good shape,if not then replace with the aftermarket like is Samco or Viper

Cheap inlet hose will or can shut under heavy boost

Jura
Old 30 September 2013, 10:11 AM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

Good turbo. I've got one on my bug running just under 350bhp. Its got better spooling than the 34 but tails off slightly earlier as it has a smaller exhaust housing.
Good balance between cost and power
Old 30 September 2013, 12:08 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Hi there

If you want to keep Prodrive backbox then you will need to buy downpipe and centre pipe,if you don't want to keep Prodrive,then you have lots of choices in the exhaust department

STI TMIC,depends how far you want to go as I said previously,if you want keep around 320-330bhp then I would keep WRX TMIC

Best air filter,I would go with K&N or Green Cotton Panel Air filter,standard dump valve is OK and will be OK for yours needs

Inlet hose,depends if yours existing is in good shape,if not then replace with the aftermarket like is Samco or Viper

Cheap inlet hose will or can shut under heavy boost

Jura
Ok thanks for the info, shall just stick with the standard DV and TMIC then

I'm going to try and source an STI up pipe and then I shall take a look at exhaust systems... I see a few Japspeed ones that seem ok but I been told they are not very good do you know if that is true?

I think I'm going to go for a Samco coolant and boost hose kit so I think I shall get the Samco inlet hose too, for filters is the k&n typhoon kit ok? Or do you mean the panel filter

Would I be ok to fit the VF34 on my car if I keep it out of boost, to get it to where I'm going to map it or would I need to disconnect the actuator hose or something untill it is mapped
Old 30 September 2013, 01:20 PM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

I see a few Japspeed ones that seem ok but I been told they are not very good do you know if that is true?
Oh here we go.....

Mate, you need to get used to the Anti-Anything-Other-Than-H&S-Miltek-Etc-Etc brigade on here.

Theres nothing wrong with the Japspeed exhaust. Mine is running good power as above and my mate runs 400bhp+ on his. An exhaust is exactly that, a bit of pipe to carry gasses out the back of the car. If its good grade stainless steel and has decent welds it'll do the job

I think I'm going to go for a Samco coolant and boost hose kit so I think I shall get the Samco inlet hose too, for filters is the k&n typhoon kit ok? Or do you mean the panel filter
Inlet hose is a pig to change. Youll need to cut the old one out. New one should fit in without having to take the inlet manifold off as long as you lube it up

Standard air box is good up to near 400bhp, so get a panel filter as Jura advised above.

Would I be ok to fit the VF34 on my car if I keep it out of boost, to get it to where I'm going to map it or would I need to disconnect the actuator hose or something untill it is mapped
Car will run fine off boost to get you to the mapper. The ECU will run closed loop on light throttle so fueling etc should be ok even with the bigger injectors.

Last edited by YoungY25; 30 September 2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 30 September 2013, 01:43 PM
Rob Kelz
Scooby Regular

Is the Japspeed what you run?

With a full exhaust system would I see any improvements? If I got a Japspeed up pipe and full turbo back system using either decat or sports cat first pipe

Quick Reply: Simple performance mods?