sc46 billet too laggy???

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2013, 08:59 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc46 billet too laggy???

hi folks
at the mo ive got a md t on my 05sti. im thinking of getting it billet for better spool.
or do I sell the t for a sc 46 billet? would this be too laggy on a 2ltre? or would the t billeted make a better turbo for my car?
Old 14 August 2013, 09:22 PM
stevep360
Scooby Regular

46 billet on my old car was great
Old 14 August 2013, 09:30 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Hi Craig, the MDX321T is a much quicker spooling turbo than the 46. My MDX was an MD originally & although it's pricey to upgrade it is worth it. Don't just go for the billet wheel, you need the housing too. Mine is a 2L & no noticeable lag atall, usable power always on tap without dropping two gears. The 46 is good but best on a 2.5, even ScoobyClinic recommend the 42 on a 2L rather than a 46. On a Meth mix one or two 42s have reached over 500 on 2L engines.
Old 14 August 2013, 09:33 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

cheers rich
yeah thats what ill be having done. new billet wheel with housing and new actuator. ill probably just do that then. is it noticeably different when its been done?
Old 14 August 2013, 09:51 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigyp
cheers rich
yeah thats what ill be having done. new billet wheel with housing and new actuator. ill probably just do that then. is it noticeably different when its been done?
Oh yes. The power kicks in much lower down the revs & just keeps pulling. Mine drives great since Simon mapped it to 450, but as I made a schoolboy error & didn't fit a 3 bar map sensor Im having Simon fit one in September & having a map tweak for more boost & a bit more power. I'd recommend you go for it, the uprated unit looks like a new one, infact I think they only reuse the exhaust housing & it comes with a 1 year warranty.
Old 14 August 2013, 09:55 PM
Megaman
Scooby Regular

The SC 46 on my 2L WR1 came in around 4200 and was in full swing by 4650rpm. Work the 6 speed box and you can keep it in the power band. Was brutally fast once on full chat though.

On my 2.5L engine the SC 46 comes in a bit earlier so is on full chat by 4000rpm. So its definitely less laggy on a 2.5L but i have enjoyed it on both engines.

On the 2L my last turbo was TD05 20g and the SC46 spooled quicker on my 2L than that but I never tried the MD range so cant comment. The best person to tell you would be mappers who regularly see where the power comes in with which turbo
Old 14 August 2013, 10:02 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

cheers chaps

Trending Topics

Old 14 August 2013, 10:11 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Craig

As I've posted several times difference between the Billet T and non billet T on same car,I would say get yours turbo billet'd,its worth the extra and you will have awesome turbo with great spool up

Jura
Old 15 August 2013, 07:25 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

hi jura
yeah I know you have about them.
just wondering about the sc46 billet compared with the t billet on a 2 litre?
im gonna get mine billeted anyway for spool, its going next week
Old 15 August 2013, 07:49 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Hi Craig, the MDX321T is a much quicker spooling turbo than the 46. My MDX was an MD originally & although it's pricey to upgrade it is worth it. Don't just go for the billet wheel, you need the housing too. Mine is a 2L & no noticeable lag atall, usable power always on tap without dropping two gears. The 46 is good but best on a 2.5, even ScoobyClinic recommend the 42 on a 2L rather than a 46. On a Meth mix one or two 42s have reached over 500 on 2L engines.
Hi Richard,
I'm interested in your comments regarding the housing, is this smaller or larger for the billeted conversion?
I fitted a billeted T which started life as a standard MD and just had the billet wheel fitted. It outspools by 400rpm the H which was on there previously but oddly makes less power, these are only RR numbers as on the road it has withering pace. This is on a 2.5. Any thoughts?
Trev
Old 15 August 2013, 07:56 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm confused as I thought the SC46 and MD321T were the same size of turbo in relative terms.... they have both made around 450bhp on a 2ltr, which again is virtually the same as a LM450 Billet.

Good choice on getting your original turbo modded...... much cheaper and you'll end up netting similar results than changing the turbo entirely.
Old 15 August 2013, 08:06 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
Hi Richard,
I'm interested in your comments regarding the housing, is this smaller or larger for the billeted conversion?
I fitted a billeted T which started life as a standard MD and just had the billet wheel fitted. It outspools by 400rpm the H which was on there previously but oddly makes less power, these are only RR numbers as on the road it has withering pace. This is on a 2.5. Any thoughts?
Trev
u can have it billeted 2 way.
1 is just the wheel which gives more power.
2 is new smaller wheel which needs new housing and also new actuator which is for spool.. this is the one im going for
Old 15 August 2013, 08:07 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
I'm confused as I thought the SC46 and MD321T were the same size of turbo in relative terms.... they have both made around 450bhp on a 2ltr, which again is virtually the same as a LM450 Billet.

Good choice on getting your original turbo modded...... much cheaper and you'll end up netting similar results than changing the turbo entirely.
yeah I think ive made the right decision as I love the md series
Old 15 August 2013, 08:16 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

u can have it billeted 2 way.
1 is just the wheel which gives more power.
2 is new smaller wheel which needs new housing and also new actuator which is for spool.. this is the one im going for
I didn't think the billet gave more power just better spool
Trev
Old 15 August 2013, 08:21 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Craig has pretty much explained it. The MDX is the latest generation of Laterals turbos & has more power aswell as better spool. To make an MD into an MDX you need the housing as the wheel & shaft size are different & it's not a cheap upgrade but well worth it. A billeted MD just has a billet wheel fitted & is a good upgrade but not an MDX conversion.
Old 15 August 2013, 08:30 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Craig has pretty much explained it. The MDX is the latest generation of Laterals turbos & has more power aswell as better spool. To make an MD into an MDX you need the housing as the wheel & shaft size are different & it's not a cheap upgrade but well worth it. A billeted MD just has a billet wheel fitted & is a good upgrade but not an MDX conversion.
explained better
Old 15 August 2013, 08:31 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

ok, but it's still rated a 450hp turbo on laterals website.
Trev
Old 15 August 2013, 08:33 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

I didn't think the billet gave more power just better spool
Trev
Both turbos are rated as 450BHP on VPower, but the MDX should make slightly more power. The MDX was designed for fast spool but manages to make a little more power aswell according to Laterall.
Old 15 August 2013, 08:37 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

cant wait to get it back and fitted. also having the perrin inlet pipe fitted
Old 15 August 2013, 08:50 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

My SC46 Billet on a 2.0 STI

Old 15 August 2013, 09:02 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Both turbos are rated as 450BHP on VPower, but the MDX should make slightly more power. The MDX was designed for fast spool but manages to make a little more power aswell according to Laterall.
thanks, roughly what is the cost of upgrading to the MDX ?
Trev
Old 15 August 2013, 09:06 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

475 plus vat
Old 15 August 2013, 09:09 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

475 plus vat
thats not bad when compared against new.
Trev
Old 15 August 2013, 09:34 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

thats not bad when compared against new.
Trev
I think it's a little more than that, I'll check my invoice tomorrow, but it's still great value compared to a new one. They take your old housing & actuator on an exchange basis, not sure what they do with them, but I believe that keeps the cost down.
Old 16 August 2013, 12:13 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacko4130
My SC46 Billet on a 2.0 STI

That looks horrendously laggy.
Old 16 August 2013, 07:52 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends what you're comparing it to Shaun of course, as well as remembering that not all spool associated issues are necessarily the fault of the turbo.
From the stock engined SC46 equipped Stis I've done, it certainly isn't typical for them to be as late as 5000rpm to peak torque.

Kev quite rightly recommends the 42 for stock engined cars as it'll make almost as much power but with better mid range.
Old 18 August 2013, 06:01 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

cars at carnetix now :-)
Old 18 August 2013, 10:30 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

cars at carnetix now :-)
Bet you can't wait to get It back. You'll need a map tweak, is Simon doing it at RCM again? Carnetix is just down the road from me, so I assume you live near Notts.
Old 19 August 2013, 06:29 AM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

yeah live in Mansfield. simon just meeting m there and doing it on rd. as still got a issue with map sensor. and at rcm the inlet pipe collapsed at 1.6 bar. so also having perrin inlet pipe fitted. hopefully ill be all good then
Old 19 August 2013, 07:31 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

yeah live in Mansfield. simon just meeting m there and doing it on rd. as still got a issue with map sensor. and at rcm the inlet pipe collapsed at 1.6 bar. so also having perrin inlet pipe fitted. hopefully ill be all good then
Should be good when it's all done. I'm in Bingham not far from you. Simons doing mine again in September as I now need a 3 bar map sensor to go further & the Alcatec cal switch wouldn't work so Simons going to sort that too. Not decided wether to do it on the RR yet or just have it road mapped. Let me know what you think of the MDX when it's all mapped, I'm sure you'll love it.

Quick Reply: sc46 billet too laggy???