2 piece brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2013, 11:46 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 piece brakes

Hi All,
I'm after some 2 piece front discs for my gold Brembo set up. Iv seen the Performance Friction ones which look good, but Godspeed ones are a lot cheaper, but are they as good?
Thanks, Richard.
Old 06 August 2013, 11:53 AM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

im sure godspeed are doing a deal on the PF ones just now, think its their hub with the PF disc. Im looking to go the same route think ill get those
Old 06 August 2013, 12:08 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

PF discs are awesome last ages too, Alyn @ AS is cheapest for them in my experience
Old 06 August 2013, 03:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm on my second set of Godspeed two-part discs, with no complaints.
Old 06 August 2013, 05:02 PM
fasteddie84
Scooby Regular

I put some new brakes on the car a few weeks ago and just got back from Le Mans after doing Maison Blanche and the Buggati Circuit. I went for Godspeed 2 piece front discs, Godspeed grooved rear discs, Carbonne Loraine RC5 front pads and EBC Orange Stuff rear pads.

They worked well on track but after about 8 laps of heavy braking, the pedal went to the floor. After bleeding them, I went out again and the same thing happened. I change my driving style to not use the brakes as much but that wasn't as fun. I believe (and this is only my thoughts) is that the brake fluid boiled because of the location of the master cylinder and reservoir is above the turbo which was getting hot. I am using dot 5.1 by AP but before I do another track, I will change to better brake fluid and look at either wrapping the downpipe and put a turbo blanket on (I already have a wrapped up-pipe) or look at a heat shield for the brake master cylinder and reservoir.

A bit off topic but if you are wanting to track it, I would do this.
Old 06 August 2013, 05:29 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by fasteddie84
I put some new brakes on the car a few weeks ago and just got back from Le Mans after doing Maison Blanche and the Buggati Circuit. I went for Godspeed 2 piece front discs, Godspeed grooved rear discs, Carbonne Loraine RC5 front pads and EBC Orange Stuff rear pads.

They worked well on track but after about 8 laps of heavy braking, the pedal went to the floor. After bleeding them, I went out again and the same thing happened. I change my driving style to not use the brakes as much but that wasn't as fun. I believe (and this is only my thoughts) is that the brake fluid boiled because of the location of the master cylinder and reservoir is above the turbo which was getting hot. I am using dot 5.1 by AP but before I do another track, I will change to better brake fluid and look at either wrapping the downpipe and put a turbo blanket on (I already have a wrapped up-pipe) or look at a heat shield for the brake master cylinder and reservoir.

Did a lot of air come out?

I had a similar experience at Bedford after the long big straight, on the first touch of the brake pedal nothing happened and it sank for a few cm, on the second touch the pedal started to respond.

This only happened at the end of the big straight and didn't give me confidence.

I bled them and a little air came out from the fronts, I haven't done another trackday since though to be able to compare.

I have also been using DOT 5.1 brake fluid.

Last edited by fpan; 06 August 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06 August 2013, 05:32 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
PF discs are awesome last ages too, Alyn @ AS is cheapest for them in my experience
+1

Trending Topics

Old 06 August 2013, 07:32 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fasteddie84

I have the same setup (except RC5+ in the rear) and ATE super blue brake fluid which is a DOT 4 spec.
I have no heat shield on the turbo, up pipe or downpipe. Turbo is SC38 getting 370 bhp.
I have done four trackdays on this setup, last one being a hot day on the Snetterton 300 which is pretty heavy on brakes IMO and suffered no fade or long pedal at all. I tend to do 20 min stints, which is probably a bit long.
Maybe you use your brakes a bit more than me?
I have used PF discs and pads as well.
I prefer the RC5+ pads for trackday type driving.
Without wishing to upset my supplier (who is very helpful), if push came to shove, I would say the PF 2 pieces appear to be of better quality than the Godspeed 2 piece that I currently run. From the point of view of performance, I can't say I have had any problems with either.

Last edited by cster; 06 August 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06 August 2013, 07:46 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Hi All,
I'm after some 2 piece front discs for my gold Brembo set up. Iv seen the Performance Friction ones which look good, but Godspeed ones are a lot cheaper, but are they as good?
Thanks, Richard.
In a word YES. I have them on mine and they are great. I have Brembo callipers with mintex race pads on Godspeed 2 piece discs with ally bells. Hell hoses and Motul 5.1 fluid. I scored a foot brake score of 122% in my last MOT. The tester said it was on of the best scores he had ever seen.
Old 06 August 2013, 08:18 PM
fasteddie84
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
Did a lot of air come out?

I had a similar experience at Bedford after the long big straight, on the first touch of the brake pedal nothing happened and it sank for a few cm, on the second touch the pedal started to respond.

This only happened at the end of the big straight and didn't give me confidence.

I bled them and a little air came out from the fronts, I haven't done another trackday since though to be able to compare.

I have also been using DOT 5.1 brake fluid.
Originally Posted by cster
I have the same setup (except RC5+ in the rear) and ATE super blue brake fluid which is a DOT 4 spec.
I have no heat shield on the turbo, up pipe or downpipe. Turbo is SC38 getting 370 bhp.
I have done four trackdays on this setup, last one being a hot day on the Snetterton 300 which is pretty heavy on brakes IMO and suffered no fade or long pedal at all. I tend to do 20 min stints, which is probably a bit long.
Without wishing to upset my supplier (who is very helpful), if push came to shove, I would say the PF 2 pieces appear to be of better quality than the Godspeed 2 piece that I currently run. From the point of view of performance, I can't say I have had any problems with either.
I didn't recall much air coming out...

The brakes worked fine for the first 8 or so laps and then the pedal just got longer and longer after every corner. If you brake for a corner and then pedal went to the floor, you still had a bit of braking power left but if you pumped the pedal, the feel came back. I think it's the fluid and will replace it with ATE Super Blue fluid or Castrol SRF.

Interesting that you don't have any heat shields or wrapping. It must be the fluid then...

I was recommend to go for RC5's but when I change them, I will go for RC5+'s.

Regarding the PF vs Godspeed, I couldn't justify the extra cost for what I was using the car for. Yes the PF may help you brake that extra meter or two BUT if you are doing track days, it's all about having fun, not racing.
Old 06 August 2013, 08:19 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by cster
Interesting.
What are RC5+ like are they aggressive on the paintwork of the car leaving stuck debris on the side doors?
Old 06 August 2013, 09:13 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

you would still benefit from proper heat shielding/wrapping to minimize heat transfer from the turbo in general................

personally use PFC RH665 and find its the "best" of all the fluids we have tried/supplied, gives better 'feeling' than SRF..........

and as one of THE largest PFC distributors we are generally "on the money" pricing wise

Last edited by AS Performance; 07 August 2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06 August 2013, 10:07 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all replies. I'm sure the Godspeeds are great but as I'll be doing the odd track day I think the PFs will be better & Aztec are offering them with the cheaper bells for £150 more than the Godspeeds. Unless someone can tell otherwise I think the Aztec deal would be best for me.
Old 07 August 2013, 05:39 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
Interesting.
What are RC5+ like are they aggressive on the paintwork of the car leaving stuck debris on the side doors?
Plenty of brake dust and squeal a bit, but very good bite hot and cold.
Not too sure about wear, hard to tell when combining one track day and 1500 miles of normal driving per month.
They do not tend to cause shudder on track, which I noticed with DS2500 and EBC blue. I didn't get this with PF Z rated, but found them lacking cold bite.
I haven't noticed any problems with paintwork and there is no deris problems.
To the OP, I have RC5+ on the front as well, I have just noticed you had RC5s on yours.
Old 07 August 2013, 05:41 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
you would still benefit from proper heat shielding/wrapping to minimize heat transfer from the turbo in general................
Yeah, I know.
I generally let the IC have a good bit of air before I boot it.
Old 07 August 2013, 09:20 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Thanks for all replies. I'm sure the Godspeeds are great but as I'll be doing the odd track day I think the PFs will be better & Aztec are offering them with the cheaper bells for £150 more than the Godspeeds. Unless someone can tell otherwise I think the Aztec deal would be best for me.
If your paying out the extra for the quality of the PF discs, why cut the corners on the bells?
The bells are as important as the rotors and can warp just as easy. The PF discs are designed and heat treated to work correctly with the PF rotors.

Personally if you're going to do it, I'd do it properly. The PF discs are awesome. And I will be using to replace my AP discs when the time comes. As Banny has said, talk to Alyn @ AS Performance. He won't sell you anything you don't need, and you'll have them next day.

Buy once, buy right Richard,