Notices

Boxer Diesel Crankshaft Broken

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2013, 12:21 AM
parkinsond
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxer Diesel Crankshaft Broken

hi all. New to the forum so please forgive any errors.

I have a 2009 Legacy Boxer Diesel which has just been diagnosed with a broken crankshaft. Its done 87000 miles, full service history, no warning of any problems, it just went. Is this a known problem and what are my chances of getting Subaru to pay for the repairs?
Old 03 August 2013, 12:48 AM
willyw0nka
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I've not heard of broken crankshafts on the diesels being a problem but I don't venture into those circles much as I've a petrol car.

while broken crankshafts are a fairly rare occurrence in engines they are typically due to to a casting, nitriding or machining defect or a spun bearing.

despite this, I doubt that Subaru would warranty anything on a car that has 87k on it assuming you're not still in warranty, or if it is a known issue that a large number of vehicles are experiencing

Last edited by willyw0nka; 03 August 2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: engrish
Old 03 August 2013, 09:01 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is known for the '07~'08 to have bottom end problems including broken cranks and spun rear main bearings.
Dont think you have much of a chance in getting Subaru to do anything about it tbh.

Mick
Old 04 August 2013, 06:53 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

They Cant make engines that last anymore,
Its a know problem that the diesel engine is Breaking the crankshaft and rear mainbearing together with other problems ,
2009 maybe they Will cover some when its Got full service historie ,
The do sometimes here in Denmark
Old 04 August 2013, 07:17 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

As others have said, this is not an uncommon issue with subaru diesel engines. I've heard there very expensive to repair compared to the petrol engines.
Old 04 August 2013, 07:39 PM
Denmark
Scooby Regular

Complete shortblock only , and expensive , in Denmark the shortblock is around 6000£

You Can get it here in the uk for a betterprice

http://m.roadnrace.co.uk/EE20-DIESEL-ENGINE.html
Old 27 October 2013, 06:58 PM
parkinsond
Scooby Newbie

Hi All, just thought I would post an update on my Broken Crankshaft Issue. I have just had a new short engine fitted and many thanks to Subaru UK, they have picked up the cost as I had a very full service history, this is my 3rd Subaru and even though my servicing was not at a Subaru Agent, as a gesture of good will they agreed to replace the short engine. This is really excellent customer service by Subaru UK.
Old 27 October 2013, 07:39 PM
poolio74
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by parkinsond
Hi All, just thought I would post an update on my Broken Crankshaft Issue. I have just had a new short engine fitted and many thanks to Subaru UK, they have picked up the cost as I had a very full service history, this is my 3rd Subaru and even though my servicing was not at a Subaru Agent, as a gesture of good will they agreed to replace the short engine. This is really excellent customer service by Subaru UK.
You are definitely the exception rather than the rule.

Got to be happy tho mate as that's a result!
Old 27 October 2013, 07:50 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Excellent result!
Old 27 October 2013, 10:05 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent news mate
Old 20 February 2014, 11:49 AM
timbo8416
Scooby Newbie

Hi Guys

Well this is interesting as exactly the same has happened to me 3 weeks ago. A fully serviced Sub Legacy 2009 March. Brocken Crankshaft and the little devils have said " Never seen this before !!!! ". O yes you have. This is my 4th Subaru and my cars went at about the 300K mileage mark. Not this one 100k.

Looked at other sites and this does not seem to be uncommon. So I will draw the jolly chaps at Subaru to this forum ( and others ) and await there comments.
Old 20 February 2014, 11:01 PM
parkinsond
Scooby Newbie

Hi Timbo8416

Sorry to hear about your issues and yes they have had it before, I can prove it! I am sure Subaru will come up with something providing you have a full verifiable service history and it has not had an engine remap. Before they agreed to my repairs they checked everything, even down to the oil filter part number and wanted photos of the crankshaft out of the engine. It took about 5-6 weeks before they agreed and then another 8-9 weeks for the repairs as the dealer was "a bit slow" to say the least.

I would say the guys at Subaru were genuinely helpful but I can't really say that about the dealer as they were the real blocker in all this in my view. Good luck and hope you get a result.
Old 21 February 2014, 08:52 AM
timbo8416
Scooby Newbie

Hi Timbo8416

Sorry to hear about your issues and yes they have had it before, I can prove it! I am sure Subaru will come up with something providing you have a full verifiable service history and it has not had an engine remap. Before they agreed to my repairs they checked everything, even down to the oil filter part number and wanted photos of the crankshaft out of the engine. It took about 5-6 weeks before they agreed and then another 8-9 weeks for the repairs as the dealer was "a bit slow" to say the least.

I would say the guys at Subaru were genuinely helpful but I can't really say that about the dealer as they were the real blocker in all this in my view. Good luck and hope you get a result.
Thank you for your comments. Yes full service history with a Subaru dealer. Infact spent £700 only 7 days before on a full service. To add insult to injury just put £600 worth on new tyres all round.

I will keep this forum informed of the jolly's ahead.
Old 21 February 2014, 03:34 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timbo8416
Thank you for your comments. Yes full service history with a Subaru dealer. Infact spent £700 only 7 days before on a full service. To add insult to injury just put £600 worth on new tyres all round.

I will keep this forum informed of the jolly's ahead.
1.3K in the last week!
What are the chances?
Old 21 February 2014, 05:10 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Sorry to hear this; it`s why I sold my beloved 09 Legacy a year ago. Ironically, it was the gearbox that let go 2 weeks before the warranty ran out. Good luck
Old 26 April 2014, 02:51 PM
Philramcat
Scooby Newbie

Default Legacy Gearbox

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Sorry to hear this; it`s why I sold my beloved 09 Legacy a year ago. Ironically, it was the gearbox that let go 2 weeks before the warranty ran out. Good luck
You were lucky your gearbox was still under warranty.

My 09 model blew gearbox at 5 years old with only 41500 miles on clock. 12 weeks waiting for special build in Japan and now back on road with new gearbox and new clutch.
Old 25 July 2015, 04:29 PM
Andiboy23
Scooby Newbie

Have just endured the same pain. No warning just died on us. However S&S manged to strip the block fit new crank/bearings and other ancillaries for just over 4 grand. 58 plate Legacy estate.
Old 28 July 2015, 11:29 AM
seagoon
Scooby Newbie

Hi everyone, I have the same problem "broken crankshaft" mine is a 2008 outback with 102.000 on the clock, I can repair it if the journals are ok but the biggest problem is that there is no details or manuals or bolt torque settings any where, and I have trawled the world but to no avail. It seems like Fuji Japan have closed thier eyes and swept it under the carpet, I am very dissapointed at their requests for any info, as they just dont answer.
Old 28 July 2015, 02:52 PM
Andiboy23
Scooby Newbie

My dealership took at least 2 months to source a crank! But worth the wait was only £715
Subaru rather flinging you a short block for a reasonable 6_7 grand.
Old 23 August 2015, 09:06 PM
jcb_xx
Scooby Newbie

I can help you with genuine subaru diesel parts.
Old 23 August 2015, 09:46 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Subaru know full well that they have a problem with their 1st generation diesels; that`s why if you have a full dealership history they will eventually help you out, if you get legal with them.
Old 28 August 2015, 04:06 PM
Janhistorvista
Scooby Newbie

Default My 2009 had the same

Mine broke at 195.000 after about 5 years. Was replaced under extended warranty by Subaru Belgium (thanks!). BUT happened in Bulgaria (and Subaru Bulgaria would have made me pay).

Does this problem (or others) occur in models after 2011?
Old 28 August 2015, 04:24 PM
jcb_xx
Scooby Newbie

I paid everything. But my crankshaft did not broken, a piston failled and damaged the cilinder. I must swap everything...

About crankshaft broken I heard that is comon in every models, even on new. Seems that some cars have prblems. My engine was new and this happened. Now one can explain...
Old 28 August 2015, 05:21 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of the first impreza deasels in the uk
Was a great car then at just 42 k miles and 45 months started useing oil and fuel consumption dropped from 49-44 mpg in the space of a month

Took to bits and slaved pistons etc and a new engine rebuilt under extended warrenty
Thank god best £400 I ever spent
Stan palmers and rob and subaru was great and looked after me but I had lost confidence as one of subarus most fanatic customers amd worried that it might happen again in the future part exchanged it for my new Nismo and px price 11k 1k more then the cost of the new engine !!
Dissapointed as the wrxd car cost me 23k amd I had planned to keep it for ten years so it will take me years to ever consider a brand new Subaru again
But the Greenwagon is going strong after 15k miles
Old 15 October 2015, 06:25 PM
fearrbocht
Scooby Newbie

My 08 diesel Legacy clapped out on Monday, oil light flashed then heard a loud clicking, less than 2km later, dead, brought to garage, they said the conrod broke, and a bearing and diesel and oil was mixing, but it sounds a lot like what has been described on this site, I've been asked for E9000 to repair it, with a shortblock rebuild, I have since learned that it's a manufacturing fault on the 08-early 10 models, and to ask me to foot the bill for rebuild, now I have ammunition, they needn't act coy,
anywhere do new engines for this car, I'm in Ireland (would need delivery)
Thanks
Old 15 October 2015, 06:37 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fearrbocht
My 08 diesel Legacy clapped out on Monday, oil light flashed then heard a loud clicking, less than 2km later, dead, brought to garage, they said the conrod broke, and a bearing and diesel and oil was mixing, but it sounds a lot like what has been described on this site, I've been asked for E9000 to repair it, with a shortblock rebuild, I have since learned that it's a manufacturing fault on the 08-early 10 models, and to ask me to foot the bill for rebuild, now I have ammunition, they needn't act coy,
Thanks
Link in post #6 above (the place is still operating, and still selling Subaru diesel boxer engines).
Old 15 October 2015, 06:40 PM
jcb_xx
Scooby Newbie

I am repairing mine too!
I can get all parts to diesel engine. Genuine parts!

Tell me something if you need help. I can make parts reach to you, no problem.

Thanks
Old 18 October 2015, 04:34 PM
fearrbocht
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by markjmd
Link in post #6 above (the place is still operating, and still selling Subaru diesel boxer engines).

Thanks, I mailed him,

It's the con-rod and big end bearing that's gone in mine and injectors are buggered too,
Old 22 October 2015, 09:07 PM
fearrbocht
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jcb_xx
I am repairing mine too!
I can get all parts to diesel engine. Genuine parts!

Tell me something if you need help. I can make parts reach to you, no problem.
Was told today the engine is the worst the garage has ever seen on any car, bit's cracked and broken all over, including the con-rod, but strangely not the crankshaft.

Thanks for the offer..
Old 22 October 2015, 09:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Was told today the engine is the worst the garage has ever seen on any car, bit's cracked and broken all over, including the con-rod, but strangely not the crankshaft.

Thanks for the offer..
if rods are damaged i would be surprised if the crank had not been damaged.

Quick Reply: Boxer Diesel Crankshaft Broken