Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2013, 05:37 PM
andyamf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Fitting Witter towbar to 05 wrx

hello all
i am trying to fit a witter towbar su24 to my 05 wrx
the problem is the left hand bracket wont fit between the exhaust bracket and the body
if you pull the exhaust down a bit you can get the bracket in but the peg thing the exhaust mount bush goes on on the exhaust virtually holds the towbar bracket up to the body on its own.
has anyone else fitted one of these towbars themselves and had the same problem?
i have searched on here and plenty of you have the same towbar fitted, but no one mentions this problem.
as far as i can see the only solution is to grind a bit of the towbar bracket off still leaving loads of metal for strength or lower the exhaust, but that would look wierd.
please help
thanks
andy
Old 26 July 2013, 07:19 PM
charlow
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by andyamf
hello all
i am trying to fit a witter towbar su24 to my 05 wrx
the problem is the left hand bracket wont fit between the exhaust bracket and the body
if you pull the exhaust down a bit you can get the bracket in but the peg thing the exhaust mount bush goes on on the exhaust virtually holds the towbar bracket up to the body on its own.
has anyone else fitted one of these towbars themselves and had the same problem?
i have searched on here and plenty of you have the same towbar fitted, but no one mentions this problem.
as far as i can see the only solution is to grind a bit of the towbar bracket off still leaving loads of metal for strength or lower the exhaust, but that would look wierd.
please help
thanks
andy
Hi Andy,
I'm probably wrong, but I've just fitted a Monoflex Towbar, and if I understand correctly you have to remove the left hand silencer mount plus a (right anngle tow hook - not to go back on car) , and the towbar bracket fits underneath the silencer mount, ie silencer mount on top!
Old 26 July 2013, 07:25 PM
andyamf
Scooby Regular

thanks, ive removed the mount and hooks
but the towbar bracket wont fit between the hook on the silencer and the underside of the car
Old 26 July 2013, 08:04 PM
charlow
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by andyamf
thanks, ive removed the mount and hooks
but the towbar bracket wont fit between the hook on the silencer and the underside of the car
Hi Andy,
My scooby was a late 2001, so might not be the same. I've just looked in my garage for the removed stuff that you do not re-fit.
On the lhs, as well as temporarily removing the silecer lh mount, there is a right angle towing or hold down bracket further in, if this is not removed there will not be room to place the foreward facing towbar part underneathe the box channel that contains the 3 captive M12 nuts that are used to fasten the towbar bracket with the lh silencer mount to the underneath of the car.
I hope this makes sense, I've quickly look up the fitting instructions for the SU24, and the procedure look very simlar to the Monoflex towbar I've just fitted.
If your stuck for a neat connection method for the towbar electics I've got a posting under "Elecrical.......etc"which I give for the connector source for the 10 way mating connector for the spare connector taped in the loom behind the rh rear light cluster.
Old 26 July 2013, 08:15 PM
andyamf
Scooby Regular

thanks, i've already removed that too
still stuck for what to do
i'll have a look at your electrical post now