Injector Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2013, 06:09 PM
vetrox
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injector Problems.

HI guys and gals.

I have a 2001 Twin turbo legacy which i has just had an engine swap. Nothign fancy just swapped the old one with a dead bottom end for a working engine. Same spec (more or less)

Now its almost up and running but I've got a nteething problem that just wont go away. She starts effertlessly and idles but the idle isnt smooth. Its not what i would call lumpy either but the EML is on. When you try to actually drive it, she just kangaroos and has no power (i thought it was a failed maf at first)

The fault code is 15 which is injector #2 (thanks to a member on here for pointing me in the right direction) Unplugged injector, reset ecu and fired up the car. Felt no different so it must be a fault with the injector

Now ive tested the plug (led and 680ohm resistor) and it pulses when you crank it. I've taken the injector out and it works so i ran some injector cleaner through it in the hope there was a blockage. However when plugged into the car it just doesnt seem to want to play ball.

My next step is to switch it for one of the other injectors and see if the code moves around with that but if that doesnt work then and it still shows injector #2 where do i start looking? could a bad ground cause this? these were working before the engine was removed from the donor.

They are pink 550's

Thanks to anyone that trys to help

Last edited by vetrox; 24 July 2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 25 July 2013, 01:55 PM
vetrox
Scooby Newbie

Ok, so after further diagnostics I am now completley stuck.

Ive swapped the injector for one from anothe cylinder.
The plug has voltage flowing through it (engine off) so there are no breakes in the cable
With the car running i can unplug the injector with no change.

So its definatley a problem with injector#2...but i dont know what. I wouldnt even know what to start checking next. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 26 July 2013, 07:11 AM
propofol
Scooby Regular

It must be a wiring issue. The ECU won't 'know' if the injector is opening and closing or not. It will only react to it not completing a circuit would be my guess. It obviously isn't a problem on the power side as you said you've got a power feed. The injectors are ground side switched so your problem is in the control wire. Find out which wire is your control (unplug the connector - you will have system voltage on the feed and no voltage on the ground). Reconnect your injector. Back probe the control wire and connect a test light to it. The test light should be connected to battery positive. When car running the test light should flicker on as the injector is pulsed to ground.
No flicker = either bad wire to computer or bad computer driver. You will have to continuity check your wire you find out which of the above is the problem if you have no control at your injector.
You should also check your injector plug pins to make sure none are splayed.
Old 26 July 2013, 01:12 PM
vetrox
Scooby Newbie

Ok so i think i get what you mean (electrics are really not my strong point)

So the wire with constant voltage (engine off) is the control?. So i've hooked up a test light to that cable and the light is on (engine off) when i start the car the light goes out and doesnt pulse.

I havent checked on any of the other injector plugs cos they are harder to get too and its too hot outside.

Thanks for the reply btw
Old 26 July 2013, 08:21 PM
propofol
Scooby Regular

With the sensor plugged in you should have 12v on each wire as long as there is no open in the injector coil windings. This is because the circuit has no ground. Unplug the sensor and measure the voltages on the harness side. You should now have 12v on the supply wire and 0v on the other. The one with 0v is the control wire. This is because the injector is turned on by the computer supplying a ground. By putting a test light connected to battery positive on this wire you will pick up when this wire gets a ground by the test light flickering on. This is a very weak lighting and can be difficult to see!
Old 27 July 2013, 07:08 AM
propofol
Scooby Regular

Try this mate
Old 27 July 2013, 11:42 AM
vetrox
Scooby Newbie

Giving up now but thanks.

Selling the car to go for something i know.
Old 31 July 2013, 03:18 PM
vetrox
Scooby Newbie

Well after plugging ssm into the car it turns out the injector is fine.

P0340 Camshaft position sensor “A” circuit (Bank 1 or Single sensor)

Been looking in the wrong place

Last edited by vetrox; 31 July 2013 at 03:52 PM.