Old 20 July 2013, 03:54 PM
Imprezel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Spec-C 2003 - Litchfield LM450

Hi

I own a Spec-C 2003.
I have a LM450 flying around.

1. Would you recommend me to put it on? Car will be driven daily.
2. How much bar would u run it?
3. What do i have to change to? Or is it a plug and play fit?
4. It is already equipped with 800cc Injectors, 3" Turboback and Sports Panelfilter.
5. Is it true that i have to do some grindin on my gearbox? If so, how much, where and why? Anyone has got a pics ?
6. How much boost is possible with a VF36 Turbo? Atm it is running 1,4 bar. I was told more isnt possible or wouldnt benefit of more BHP/Torque

Regards
Old 22 July 2013, 06:19 AM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imprezel
Hi

I own a Spec-C 2003.
I have a LM450 flying around.

4. It is already equipped with 800cc Injectors, 3" Turboback and Sports Panelfilter.
5. Is it true that i have to do some grindin on my gearbox? If so, how much, where and why? Anyone has got a pics ?
6. How much boost is possible with a VF36 Turbo? Atm it is running 1,4 bar. I was told more isnt possible or wouldnt benefit of more BHP/Torque

Regards
I cant answer all these questions but heres goes

1. Yes put it on
2. IMO id keep it to 1.6 - 1.8 bar
3. some are plug and play. you will have to install oil lines etc toull definitely need a new turbo to downpipe gasket and uppipe gasket
4. why has it got 800cc injectors ?
5. you might have to shave a wee bit off the gearbox housing to get it to fit as some turbos are quite a tight fit. again its minimal shaving and not big chunks
6. nothings impossible my vf35 was running 1.65 bar so dont see why a 36 cant run the same

if your looking for power then your off to a good start however you will need a few more items as this is a 450 brake turbo

these are

FMIC (perrin would be ideal)
twinscroll Headers and up pipe
Clutch ?
New turbo intake pipe
induction kit (as with fmic you cant keep the standard airbox)
Gaskets
Remap
What fuel pump you got ?

again this is just a rough guide theres prob a few things im missing

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 23 July 2013, 03:24 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

As above Steve said:

1, I would put the turbo on yours

2, You should be able run somewhere around 1.6bar on yours,you can go with bigger 3 bar MAP sensor

3, There should be no problem on fitting on yours

4, You have already 800cc injectors,you are running EcuTek 800cc injectors or do you running aftermarket injectors. If you are running still yours Pink injectors,you will need to have run bigger one

5,No sure on the grinding the turbo,but this should confirm someone

6, Depends on turbo,but on some turbo more boost doesn't means more power

With LM450 you should be able crack 400bhp,maybe you will benefit with FMIC in later stages

Yours headers I wouldn't change,those OE Twin scroll headers should be enough for 500bhp and really you don't need them to replace

Fuel pump I would add too plus maybe better induction pipe,but seems those intake pipes on Spec C are better than on other Impreza

You will see how you get on,but I would say you should be able make nice power with this turbo

Jura
Old 23 July 2013, 01:15 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes

On a good standard engine - you could run 1.8bar peak 1.7/6bar held

Might need to take some "meat" out of the top of the bell housing.

Get a BRD induction kit, FMIC & 3 port boost controller in my opinion (using the LM450). Also swap out the fuel pump for safety.

As said to point 3 above - it's obvious when you come to fit and it only takes a couple of minutes to grind the top lobe down.

I used to run my old VF @ 1.7bar peak and 1.4 at the top end - anymore and you're going to be pushing hot air through - these turbos are all about lowdown response and mid-range.

If you want to read ALL about exactly what you're looking to do, I've already done it and documented the processes and results HERE.

Just to wet your appetite I'm currently running 490bhp on the LM450 and standard 2ltr twinscroll engine (same as yours).
Old 23 July 2013, 05:50 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Im running a lm450 billet on my jdm, great turbo, spools well holds 1.55 bar(think there is a bit more to give) and 440bhp with fmic 3" decat miltek and 850,s well worth fitting it.
Jay