Notices

Knock Sensor Help

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2013, 01:10 PM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Sensor Help

On my Euro Bugeye WRX I have replaced inlet manifold with an STi one, I think off a Blobeye, I have utilised the loom from the STi as well as I have deleted TDV's and was going to install a STi lump soon with AVCS heads.

Anyway, the knock sensor connector was different, so when I had my car remapped they soldered link wires between loom and sensor to bypass the plug as a quick fix. However I was driving at the weekend and noticed my PSI3 data monitor wasn't registering any knock correction.

Does this mean my knock sensor is faulty? As it was measuring correction before. I do have an CEL which relates to MAF scale going out of limits, something I need to get corrected with I guess rescaling the MAF.

Can I use the knock sensor of the later car with the correct plug on it? I know you haver to torque the sensor and angle it correctly.

thanks.
Old 04 July 2013, 01:21 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

I think the knock sensors are the same apart from the connector. It's basically just a stethoscope anyway. The torque setting I found in the workshop manuals for a blob is 24Nm and positioned at 60 degrees, but I'm not sure what the reference point is to set it 60 degrees from. I did not set mine to any particular position apart from roughly where the old one was pointing. I used these setting for my 97 turbo 2000 and had no issues afterwards. My old sensor had cracked and died completely.
Old 04 July 2013, 01:23 PM
Wagon_Si
Scooby Regular

cheers thanks. that is what I thought, just need to go and check which connector I have on the loom and order one. I think old loom was grey and new one brown.