Notices

Inlet adapters

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2013, 11:20 PM
lewis_1990
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inlet adapters

Hi guys does anyone know where I can get some inlet adapters for v1/2 inlet to fit v5/6 heads Carl Davey does them but he out of stock ATM and isn't sure if he getting any more in. They look like this
http://www.carldavey.co.uk/product.php?id=16
Cheers lewis
Old 17 May 2013, 12:57 AM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

I was wanting to do this too.With the work needed welding the manifold I thought it would be easier to weld a boss for the idle valve and correct throttle body onto the phase 2 manifold possibly reverse it whilst there. How much better Flowing are the earlier manifolds though?
Old 03 August 2013, 02:33 PM
Dec3
Scooby Newbie

Count that As me 3 ! i see on Carl Davis site he say's that he does not do the phase 2 head's to Phase 1.5 Inlet Manifold!

I'v got a forged 2.5ltr sitting ready to go but obviously having the same technical issues of fitment to my Ver-4 Loom. Was Maybe going to try make these myself. But for £240 I'd much rather Buy them!
Old 03 August 2013, 09:23 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

The trouble is even with the adaptors I believe you need to cut the inlet and either lengthen or shorten it. I can't remember. I'm gonna be doing a conversion in a month now. My plan is forged 2.1 cdb with v6 sti heads and v8 sti inlet with top feed injectors all going in a V2 sti car. So I'm going to use the V2 throttle body and fit it reversed on the inlet blanking the other side. then weld in a tube for the early idle valve bypass. Will be a challenge.

But as I'm running simtek alcatek I've also discovered that it's possible to get the ecu firmware changed to run the later idle valves and throttle. Although I've had zero response from alcatek in getting anything done as usual.
Old 03 August 2013, 10:43 PM
Dec3
Scooby Newbie

Default IM adapters

Yes i seen that need to cut the manifold to extend it 12-14 mm
which is easy when your friend is a coded welder..

And I'v been hunting the net Hi and Low for weeks now to see if it's possible to use the V5-6 "Phase 2 " Manifold.. was happy there was even adapters in production..

Would it not be possible to cut a hole In the phase 2 manifold to fit the idle control v/v from the phase 1.5 manifold..? Blank off the idle control v/v on the Phase 2 and use the throttle body from the phase 2 aswell?? this seems more straight forward. .

Is the new age top feed injectors Not Low impedance coils? And the ver 1-4 scoobies have high impedance Injectors "coils" ? .. i think you can get resistors to fix this tho. I'm not entirely sure don't quote me on it just some thing to look into maybe. I had done some research on this a while ago.
Old 04 August 2013, 02:12 AM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

It's not just a hole that needs cutting for the idle valve. The hole actually leads to a separate channel in the inlet which directs the air it's by passing close to the throttle body. So I would need to weld a correct diameter pipe to the same place the original one ends up going and have the idle valve connected to the pipe with the one way valve also fitted of course. The top feed injectors should be ok for simtek but I will double check first. Also the throttle is different. there's an extra wire on the earlier throttle bodies. At least I have every version of inlet manifold up to v8 and throttle bodies on the shelf to chop up how I want.

The only other thing which concerns me is if the inlet will hit the bonnet as a v8 inlet is a lot taller than a V2. But will give loads of room for a big intake pipe for the turbo.
Old 04 August 2013, 01:08 PM
Dec3
Scooby Newbie

Ahh i was unaware of this so thanks for the head's up "going to try get a schematic of the phase 1.5 and the phase 2 "

I was originally considering cutting the flanges off the phase 2 manifold and trying to weld/bolt them to the phase 1.5 manifold flanges but due to the over lay and lack of material on the phase 2 manifold flange you still cant bolt the phase 1.5 to them. "hope this makes sense"

I have some scanned pictures of over lay's from the different manifold types i shall post for other user's Information.
Old 04 August 2013, 07:43 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

I was thinking it would be possible to graft the early idle valve onto the plate you use to blank the throttle if reversing the inlet. Or is it possible to just fit the phase 2 manifold the wrong way around to reverse it and fit the idle valve opposite the throttle anyway. I'm going to inspect the inlets tomorrow and come up with a plan.