Notices

Cats and Mot time??

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2013, 08:24 PM
JohnnyDavies
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cats and Mot time??

I have a 2004WRX that is remapped to around 270bhp but still has a sports cat downpipe and cat in the up-pipe. With these still in place my mechanic has major trouble putting it thru the mot even when the cat is red hot?? As im thinking of fitting a VF48 and other mods im wondering if it will ever pass an mot again???

Thinking of running it totally decat and having a centre section made with two standard cats for mot time. What does everyone else do???

I thought a car should still pass an mot with just the sports cat but this doesnt seem to be the case with my car
Old 27 April 2013, 08:37 PM
dan-lincs
Scooby Regular

is it a 100 or 200 cell sports cat? 100 cells tend to have a hard time passing
Old 27 April 2013, 08:43 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyDavies
I have a 2004WRX that is remapped to around 270bhp but still has a sports cat downpipe and cat in the up-pipe. With these still in place my mechanic has major trouble putting it thru the mot even when the cat is red hot?? As im thinking of fitting a VF48 and other mods im wondering if it will ever pass an mot again???

Thinking of running it totally decat and having a centre section made with two standard cats for mot time. What does everyone else do???

I thought a car should still pass an mot with just the sports cat but this doesnt seem to be the case with my car
i run a full de-cat with no sports cat and i know a "cough-cough" friendly mot tester,try and find yourself one if you can.they are out there,just think of all the de-catted cars out there

failing that im not sure how it would affect your car being mapped as a de-cat then doing the test with a sports cat,speak to duncan to clarify if it will be ok
Old 27 April 2013, 08:43 PM
JohnnyDavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dan-lincs
is it a 100 or 200 cell sports cat? 100 cells tend to have a hard time passing
Not sure mate to be honest but it does still have two cats. Would a 200cell sports cat normally pass an mot on a subaru running 330bhp??
Old 27 April 2013, 08:50 PM
JohnnyDavies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
i run a full de-cat with no sports cat and i know a "cough-cough" friendly mot tester,try and find yourself one if you can.they are out there,just think of all the de-catted cars out there

failing that im not sure how it would affect your car being mapped as a de-cat then doing the test with a sports cat,speak to duncan to clarify if it will be ok
I might have to come to your neck of the woods for my next MOT then mate! No one down this way will cough cough sort an mot out like that and my mechanic is a mate?? well i think he is!!
Old 27 April 2013, 08:59 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I have just the one cat in the downpipe. It's a Japspeed 100cell sport cat. mine needs to be 20 what ever it is they measure to pass. When it was in for MOT is was reading 47 even though the car was warm. The MOT man revved and held the revs to about 2500-3000 rpm while the sniffer was up the exhaust. After about 20-30 secs it dropped to 19 and past. It seems these cats cool down quickly if on idle and need a constant rev to heat them enough to work.
Old 28 April 2013, 08:08 PM
poopipe
Scooby Regular

i just got mine through using a standard UK turbo centre section - no other cats. that's a v2 sti ra running 305/310 or thereabouts with a power fc doing the thinking

went from 0.6%co with full decat to 0.02,
much easier than a downpipe swap and only 140quid off the interwebs for a new one.