Notices

boost solenoid (2port to 3port conversion)

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2013, 12:47 PM
gee423
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost solenoid (2port to 3port conversion)

Hi guys the boost solenoid on my 1998 turbo 2000 wagon has begun to die, and I am under the impression I am better to swap this for a 3 port, just wondering if anyone can give a definitive answer on how it gets hooked up, as far as I am aware the top port goes to turbo compressor, middle goes to actuator, but its the bottom im confused by as some people are saying vent to atmosphere and others say it gets plumbed into the manifold :s any pictures of how it should be will be warmly welcomed lol, and also is it 4 or 5mm hose it should run? as my old hoses appear to be 4mm but my local factor seems to reckon it should be 5mm.

Sorry for dragging on a bit lol
Old 27 March 2013, 01:16 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gee423
Hi guys the boost solenoid on my 1998 turbo 2000 wagon has begun to die, and I am under the impression I am better to swap this for a 3 port, just wondering if anyone can give a definitive answer on how it gets hooked up, as far as I am aware the top port goes to turbo compressor, middle goes to actuator, but its the bottom im confused by as some people are saying vent to atmosphere and others say it gets plumbed into the manifold :s any pictures of how it should be will be warmly welcomed lol, and also is it 4 or 5mm hose it should run? as my old hoses appear to be 4mm but my local factor seems to reckon it should be 5mm.

Sorry for dragging on a bit lol
The 3rd port is generally left venting to atmos.

For the hose I think it's 5mm from memory, if you reuse your existing hose you'll need to remove the restrictor pill as well.

I'm sure you already know but you MUST get the car mapped after fitting the 3 port as the wastegate duty / dynamics need to be lowered significantly. If you are getting the car mapped then usually the mapper will fit the 3 port as well, it only takes a few minutes.

HTH

Ben
Old 27 March 2013, 01:25 PM
gee423
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bengo

For the hose I think it's 5mm from memory, if you reuse your existing hose you'll need to remove the restrictor pill as well.

I'm sure you already know but you MUST get the car mapped after fitting the 3 port as the wastegate duty / dynamics need to be lowered significantly. If you are getting the car mapped then usually the mapper will fit the 3 port as well, it only takes a few minutes.

HTH

Ben
Ah didnt know it needed mapped as well, nobody mentioned that to me lol, with it being a 98 I believe i need an aftermarket ecu to map which will have to wait, the thing already costs me £100 a week in fuel to get to work cant afford an ecu and map just now, another 2 port it is I guess lol. thanks for the fast response mate
Old 27 March 2013, 01:40 PM
gee423
Scooby Newbie

HTH

Ben
sorry for the double post, but do you think that could be contributing to my overboost? as it is fitted with 4mm fuel hose instead of 5mm vac hose
Old 27 March 2013, 03:02 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

There should be a little plastic restrictor pill in one of the hoses and if the original hoses have been replaced then it's likely that this restrictor is missing. A missing restrictor will cause the car to over boost.

Have a look here:
https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...locations.html

Ben
Old 27 March 2013, 03:10 PM
gee423
Scooby Newbie

There should be a little plastic restrictor pill in one of the hoses and if the original hoses have been replaced then it's likely that this restrictor is missing. A missing restrictor will cause the car to over boost.

Have a look here:
https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...locations.html

Ben

Hi mate with it being the 2 port solenoid a missing resistor pill causes underboost not overboost, but the pill is definitely there still
Old 27 March 2013, 03:13 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Have you tried cleaning the solenoid? When they get stuck full of crap it causes overboost

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...lSolenoid#toc3

Other causes here http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...edIssues#toc11
Old 27 March 2013, 03:23 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gee423
Hi mate with it being the 2 port solenoid a missing resistor pill causes underboost not overboost, but the pill is definitely there still
If the pill is there you should be fine then. A missing restrictor could potentially cause both over and under boosting as it is also used to stabilize pressure fluctuations.
Old 27 March 2013, 03:37 PM
gee423
Scooby Newbie

Hi markCSC, I gave the solenoid a quick blast through with carb cleaner the other day but not a proper clean, will have another go if this snow stops soon lol, and Bengo the restrictor is definitely still there mate but still getting overboost :/ it used to only be in 4th and 5th gear about 80mph, then I replaced all the lines as they were rock solid and looked very rough round the edges (they actually snapped when i tried to get them off the t-piece) after that it got a lot worse and now happens in every gear at high revs, not sure if I have used the correct diameter hose or if its just because it no longer leaks.
Old 27 March 2013, 05:03 PM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

5mm external diameter possibly, nearer 3mm internal dia. If you have fuel hose I guess you have 4mm internal? The smaller the diameter the less volume of air in the hoses and in theory the quicker the response of the boost control - although I haven't tested this to see if it make much difference. If they were replaced with larger internal diameter hoses and it got worse then there is perhaps some truth in that.
Old 27 March 2013, 08:33 PM
gee423
Scooby Newbie

nah it was replaced with the same diameter, 3mm looked tiny next to the old 1 and 5mm looked massive, I can only assume there was a leak in the line somewhere