Notices

UK WRX to JDM STi Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2013, 08:20 PM
Bensdad
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK WRX to JDM STi Conversion

I've spent hours scouring forums for info but it seems that the more I find out, the less I know, so I'm hoping someone can either confirm that what I'm planning will work or offer some advice on alternatives.

Firstly, I should explain the situation. This will be a bit long-winded, partly because I want make the situation complletely clear but mainly because that, unfortunately, is the way I am...

My son has a UK-spec 2001 Bugeye WRX which has a terminal big-end problem. We have decided not to repair the engine, which is now removed from the car . He has bought a low-mileage, JDM STi engine of approximately the same age, which is complete except for the inlet manifold and loom. He has the correct injectors to suit the STi and his TGVs have already been removed, so the WRX manifold should be OK on the STi engine.

Initial plans were to either a) Use the heads from the WRX and sell the STi heads or b) Use the STi heads but with AVCS disconnected. We've read about plenty of examples of both which are, apparently, running and perfectly usable but it seems a waste to have AVCS available and not use it, so we are now committed to plan c) Leave the STi heads installed, with avcs connected and (with luck) working.

There are several ways of going about this and if cost wasn't an issue we'd have taken another route but it is, so what we've ended up with is a V.7 JDM STi ECU, various pictures of pinouts, some wiring diagrams and a soldering iron. There are aftermarket conversion looms available but these all seem to be for US cars or aftermarket ECUs, or something else that isn't exactly what we've got and they aren't cheap, either. We have read all about using TGV wiring, shielded cable, etc and I've no doubt (well not much, anyway) that we could eventually come up with something that works, however it would be much nicer to use OEM parts where possible, to minimise cutting and soldering and to be clearer than I currently am about what to do so if anyone can help, I'd like to know the following:

1) Can/should I use an engine loom from a UK STi. If not, what should/could I use?

2) If my understanding is correct, by changing the position of the redundant TGV wires on the ECU pins I can re-use them for AVCS operation in the section from the ECU to the engine loom connector but do I need to install any wires in addition to these and should they be shielded?

3) If I do need additional wiring, can I take the necessary from a scrap UK STi loom if I can find one and would Blobeye or Hawkeye looms be suitable donors if I can't find a Bugeye?

Any opinions, views or whatever more than welcome but what I mainly want are definitive answers to those last three questions, please.

Cheers!
Old 07 March 2013, 01:43 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

1) Yes you can use UK STi engine loom or speak to TimH@jti.uk.com he will able to help you to make loom for yours without the problem

2) On this I'm not sure,this usually people using when doesn't using the TGV on aftermarket ECU such as Syvecs,I would use shielded wires and really I would suggest speak to Tim

3) Personally I would use JDM wiring loom,if not UK STi loom should be OK,but you will need engine loom for 2.0L,2.5L can bring you other issue,not sure if they're same or different

If is budget I would go down the route of the aftermarket ECU and make own loom,if you are good with wiring and you can make nice and lightweight loom,which can be cheaper option on longer run

Jura