Notices

Curious about fuel systems?

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2013, 10:55 PM
Tmesis
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious about fuel systems?

I was recently very curious about fuel system set ups on high performance cars, particularly Subarus, and so I tried to find some information about the full system. Whilst I had a vague idea of how the fuel system works in a standard car, information about systems in race cars seems to be very sketchy and hard to come across.

After a few hours of research and looking blankly at diagrams with information that meant nothing to me, I managed to come up with this little diagram: (Apologies for the small size, hopefully people can still read it)

Obviously I have very little knowledge of this kind of thing, so I was wondering if anybody could help me out with anything I've missed off, or an overview of how a system would be set up in a race car.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 03 March 2013, 11:06 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

really worth looking in the projects sections on here and on 22b-nearly all of the 480 bhp plus cars will need built fuel systems and its agood way of see,ing how other people lay out and set up their systems.
Old 03 March 2013, 11:14 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

A lot of people when uprating their fuel system use a parallel fuel setup rather than a series fuel setup. To do this your diagram needs to be modified so that the HP pump and filter feed to both rails and the FPR is at the other end of the fuel rails providing the return.
Old 03 March 2013, 11:40 PM
Tmesis
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by madwrx
really worth looking in the projects sections on here and on 22b-nearly all of the 480 bhp plus cars will need built fuel systems and its agood way of see,ing how other people lay out and set up their systems.
Cheers for that, I'll have a look over there.

Originally Posted by 360ste
A lot of people when uprating their fuel system use a parallel fuel setup rather than a series fuel setup. To do this your diagram needs to be modified so that the HP pump and filter feed to both rails and the FPR is at the other end of the fuel rails providing the return.
So in the case of a parallel setup, would the HP pump and the filter be duplicated, or would the feed from the filter instead split into both rails? I'm assuming that the feed out of the rails would both go into the FPR and continue back into the swirl pot from there?
Old 03 March 2013, 11:47 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

The outlet from the filter would split with a T piece through the injector rails then T piece back to the FPR and return to the tank. Fitted a setup to my Bug about 4 years ago.
Old 03 March 2013, 11:50 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

http://www.airpowersystems.com/wrx/m...01_install.htm

This is similar to the system I fitted might give you a bit more of an insight.