Notices

Brake upgrade on an STI

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2013, 07:42 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade on an STI

Been out this evening and getting the brakes really hot and were fading on my 03 STI, Car is running 429/380.

Brakes have standard discs and EBC pads fitted i belive Bluestop.

Any sensible upgrade from where i'm at or do i just look for a set of AP's and be done with it.

Since upping the power i have warped the discs and now have issues with fade and a wooden feel, Car is in for service inc brake fluid on saturday so will see if the brake fluid change helps....

Cheers for any advice
Old 17 February 2013, 07:48 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

upgrade depends on money.
Old 17 February 2013, 07:53 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

Money is not really the issue, Its a road car but doing a little track use this year so it needs to be right but on the other hand don't want to spend daft money...
Old 17 February 2013, 07:55 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

this looks a good offer,free fitting aswell

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...p?cPath=37_286
Old 17 February 2013, 07:57 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

Was wanting to spend £1500 tops really as have enough money in the car already but needs must, Who has AP's and how much better are they really? 2k Better?
Old 17 February 2013, 07:57 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Your lucky,my standard sti brakes were fading with the tsl 333 remap.I doubt a fluid change is going to cure your problem.I went with the performance friction disc and pads set up and what a difference they made.you have different options,all depending on your budget.but with the power your running I would suggest a disc and pad upgrade with braided fluid lines if not done already and fresh fluid you will most definitely notice the difference.SJ.
Old 17 February 2013, 07:59 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by the shreksta
this looks a good offer,free fitting aswell

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...p?cPath=37_286

its bloody not, very expensive

japspeed are selling d2 356mm with pads for 849.99

which are identical to ksports, i know this as i bought some last week and they will be going on car tommorow to replace my knackered brembos.

i have had the same trouble with my brembos, warped discs etc and now one of the calipers needs a refurb due to knackered seal so bit the bullet and binned em.

Trending Topics

Old 17 February 2013, 08:02 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Your lucky,my standard sti brakes were fading with the tsl 333 remap.I doubt a fluid change is going to cure your problem.I went with the performance friction disc and pads set up and what a difference they made.you have different options,all depending on your budget.but with the power your running I would suggest a disc and pad upgrade with braided fluid lines if not done already and fresh fluid you will most definitely notice the difference.SJ.

Already have Goodridge lines
Old 17 February 2013, 08:03 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jacko4130
Was wanting to spend £1500 tops really as have enough money in the car already but needs must, Who has AP's and how much better are they really? 2k Better?
Most people with ap brakes swear by them.and k sports seem to get good reviews too.I can not really say if the ap brakes are 2K better,my advice would be to get what you can comfortably afford without selling a kidney.SJ.
Old 17 February 2013, 08:06 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
its bloody not, very expensive

japspeed are selling d2 356mm with pads for 849.99

which are identical to ksports, i know this as i bought some last week and they will be going on car tommorow to replace my knackered brembos.

i have had the same trouble with my brembos, warped discs etc and now one of the calipers needs a refurb due to knackered seal so bit the bullet and binned em.

nice.SJ.
Old 17 February 2013, 08:06 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

I had the same situation a while back a decided to wait for a second hand set of AP's - huge improvement. New, a bit too pricey for my tastes. Plus they hold their value well and can be sold on quickly and easily.
Old 17 February 2013, 08:15 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

the Brembo's can work very well if you put the likes of PFC 2pce disc onto them............

a more suited pad to your driving style (F&R) and fresh fluid should sort

alyn
Old 17 February 2013, 08:24 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

a tad out of your budget but very very good

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/porsche_brakes.asp
Old 17 February 2013, 08:32 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

So if i sell my Brembos and chuck £1500 in i'm on the money there abouts.

So would a new set of AP's be a better choice than the Powerstation Porsches?
Old 17 February 2013, 08:40 PM
JC-R
Scooby Regular

Well if they feel wooden then just get the belt sander on em ! HA ! Only joking ,
I had a 06 hawkeye 410bhp last year and on that were brembos with pf discs and pads , braided lines and good oil, I thaught they were great , no juddering or warping and always exellent stopping power and they had a pretty hard time with me , but no track days tho.
Old 17 February 2013, 08:43 PM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stockcar
the Brembo's can work very well if you put the likes of PFC 2pce disc onto them............

alyn
I run this set up on my Spec C with the Z compound pads F&R and they work very well, including track days and the Nurburgring
Old 17 February 2013, 08:45 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

dont think there is alot in it really,i think the porsche pads have a larger surface area.ive just overhauled my porsche set-up with brembo sport hp pads from alyn @ as performance and ap 355mm 2 piece discs with fresh fluid and they work well,i never track my car so cant comment on track reviews.alyn has one of my old pagid pads as a template so send him whichever pads you want for machining.they look great aswell.the set-up is from the gt2/3 rs porsche i think
Old 17 February 2013, 08:46 PM
fawor
BANNED

nop, ap (which most have -old design 2piece caliper) and ksport/d2 are in the same league non monoblock crap but better then brembo as discs and pads are bigger.

above porsche/brembo bbk and alcon are next step-monoblock calipers,
you could add pf 356mm discs but cost around +700
Old 17 February 2013, 08:47 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

alyn
Same set-up here
Old 17 February 2013, 08:48 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

Ksport/D2 dont even get on the same page as AP stuff regardless of what caliper type they use..............
Old 17 February 2013, 08:56 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

I find the Brembo caliper to be pretty good with the right pad/disc choice. I sprint and track mine so they do get a good pounding.
Id suggest a pad/disc upgrade to cope with the heat your generating during braking
Old 17 February 2013, 08:59 PM
fawor
BANNED

Ksport/D2 dont even get on the same page as AP stuff regardless of what caliper type they use..............
sorry but cp7040 are overtaken by new d2/ksport range at the moment
better caliper design
better discs (some with ap change for ksport discs)
price
only same pads compound
cp5555 are other story,could be very, very expensive refurb
Old 17 February 2013, 09:05 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have K-sport front and rear on my bug Sti, find them a good setup. I have goodridge hoses and a brake stopper for the master cylinder to reduce the amount the master cylinder moves when you press the pedal.
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Car-Tuning...=Impreza&rt=nc)
Old 17 February 2013, 09:20 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

Think i will have a shop round for a new set of AP's and be done with it then, Don't want to fit new discs and pads and find i still have problems as will be upping power again in the summer.

Cheers
Old 17 February 2013, 10:29 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I fitted my K-sport prior to going upto 440 bhp on my bugeye, purely on the view that I needed discs, the pads were getting worn and the calipers needed a cosmetic make over. Even with plenty of highly spirited driving round the highlands of Scotland most weekends for 4 years I never warped a disc. Reading this post' reminded me of some advice I was given when I first got my Scooby and drove like a loon round the Troudos mountains in Cyprus (ex-forces). That was to always have a brick or large(ish) stone in the car so that when parking up after a hard mountain drive you would put this under the car and the reverse back till the front wheel touched the rock. Get out of the car leaving the engine ticking over and put another rock infront of the tyre to prevent the car rolling. This was so you did not have to apply the handbrake to hot drums that could cool and make it almost impossible to get the handbrake off or sit there with your foot on the brake on hot discs with the potential to warp the discs. This was from a mate who did do rallying years ago. My main point is are you sure some action you are doing is not contributing to the warped discs, as it would not be nice to fork out for a lovely set of AP's then for it to happen again.
Hope you get this resolved and enjoy your next upgrade, Steve
Old 17 February 2013, 11:11 PM
Jacko4130
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 360ste
I fitted my K-sport prior to going upto 440 bhp on my bugeye, purely on the view that I needed discs, the pads were getting worn and the calipers needed a cosmetic make over. Even with plenty of highly spirited driving round the highlands of Scotland most weekends for 4 years I never warped a disc. Reading this post' reminded me of some advice I was given when I first got my Scooby and drove like a loon round the Troudos mountains in Cyprus (ex-forces). That was to always have a brick or large(ish) stone in the car so that when parking up after a hard mountain drive you would put this under the car and the reverse back till the front wheel touched the rock. Get out of the car leaving the engine ticking over and put another rock infront of the tyre to prevent the car rolling. This was so you did not have to apply the handbrake to hot drums that could cool and make it almost impossible to get the handbrake off or sit there with your foot on the brake on hot discs with the potential to warp the discs. This was from a mate who did do rallying years ago. My main point is are you sure some action you are doing is not contributing to the warped discs, as it would not be nice to fork out for a lovely set of AP's then for it to happen again.
Hope you get this resolved and enjoy your next upgrade, Steve
I am a mechanical engineer by trade and would like to think i give the car mechanical sympathy needed but under hard use ( What i had this car for ) The standard brakes are not up to the job it would seem.
Old 17 February 2013, 11:28 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I was not being funny. I know during my 22 years in the RAF as a electrical engineer that on occasions I missed stupidly obvious faults and really did feel like kicking myself when someone else asked did you check this and realised a 5 minute check would have saved me 2 days work, DOH!!! We can all get blinkered at times and overlook things.
Old 17 February 2013, 11:49 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

I would suggest Performance Friction 2-Piece Discs and PFC pads and you should be OK with this setup

If not K-Sport/D2 combo is good upgrade on yours,but would suggest as first upgrade pads on them,because pads supplied on them are little bit rubbish

Upgrade at least to the Performance Frictions Z-Rated pads and you should be OK

Jura
Old 18 February 2013, 06:07 AM
ianbott
Scooby Regular

Warped discs are usually contributed to driving style, ie holding foot on brake when coming to a stop allowing the brakes to change shape as they cool.
I have had brakes smoking and even highly discoloured due to hear applied but never managed to warp a disc. I'm not by any means criticising your driving just an observation worth checking.
Old 18 February 2013, 09:14 AM
mazmike
BANNED

i paid 1495 from a main dealer for 366 mm 6 pot alcons work great and 1200 for the rears

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade on an STI