Notices

to re shell or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2013, 11:44 PM
petebell
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to re shell or not?

hi im having some bad luck with my impreza atm.its my first impreza and its a wrx pre facelift classic.after chasing maf problems i found engine is knackered.car has 150k miles so wasnt surprised! got a new low milage engine for it now but not fitted it yet.also when i first got car i found the back end stepped out alot! it has coilovers on front and standard shocks on rear so put it down as problem how ever after some research through previous owners found it had a rear end bump years ago the back arches are shot and quite a bad dent in rear quarter.so shall i reshell or save and buy new one?how much does a good shell go for? im not working atm so funds are limited!
Old 11 February 2013, 07:35 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

If funds are limited I would hunt for another car and break the one you have.
Old 11 February 2013, 09:50 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Does not sound good mate. On the upside, i have a nice, complete, rust free shell looking for new home
Old 11 February 2013, 10:18 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Have you got facilities and tools to reshell, becuase that isn't just a job that you can do with a select amount of tools, a floor and jack stands. You will come across lots of problems and you will need a huge range of tools, not to mention a lot of patients, time, and at this time of year with the weather, it's complete hell.

I'm not trying to put you off, i'm all for it, but the reality is far from what you can imagine if you aren't already aware.

I've been doing a lot of work to my Impreza over the past year on the drive making it a track car, and it's got to me, it get's me down and is always on my head and that's all far from reshelling.
And that's with a full range of workshop tools as i am a mechanic.

Unless i have a ramp to work on, i won't be doing anything major like what i've been doing again, my next project will strictly be build on a ramp becuase i can't handle it all again lol.

Maybe cut you loses, sell what you can and start again, or save for another and transfer the bits over you want and get rid of the rest.

I'm not one for buying tired cars myself, spend a bit more and get that good example, and have a good check over it. Then even if the engine goes, you'll have a good shell to drop an engine into.

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 02 May 2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12 February 2013, 09:59 AM
petebell
Scooby Regular

im trained as a mechanic as you say would need to look for a space to rent as wouldnt attempt it on the driveway!was thinking of running it til the summer when the better weather arrives.got offered a clean shell with dash,loom,fuel lines etc for £200 from a local boy who breaks scoobys hence why i was thinking it might be cheaper as i have plenty of free time at the mo ! may end up buying a car with engine failure and put my new engine in and break mine.