Breather / Oil Smell on Sti 330s

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2013, 03:31 PM
DowdingS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather / Oil Smell on Sti 330s

HI
I have a MY09 Sti 330s with the 2.5 L engine.
I know that in its life it has had a replacement engine under warrenty due to a broken piston number 2.

When the car is warm and stationary there is a definite smell of breather fumes or oil. I have searched the forum and found people talking of oil leaks from the rocker cover onto the hot exhaust. I recently had a garage check over the car and confirm there are no oil leaks.

What I am worried about is whether or not the engine is failing for a second time and hence burning oil.

I haven't done enought miles to see if it is using alot ot a little of oil yet but am keeping my eye on it.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Steve
Old 12 January 2013, 05:35 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not TAKE IT BACK ?
Old 12 January 2013, 05:51 PM
0002STI
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the simlar smell after a hard and spirited drive and think its my clutch and i dont use a drop of oil but i did notice 1 of the breather pipes near to the oil pressure switch wasnt connected its a T connection so worth a check around as some mechanics are not as consious as others when reconnecting everything.
Old 12 January 2013, 06:23 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DowdingS
HI
I have a MY09 Sti 330s with the 2.5 L engine.
I know that in its life it has had a replacement engine under warrenty due to a broken piston number 2.

When the car is warm and stationary there is a definite smell of breather fumes or oil. I have searched the forum and found people talking of oil leaks from the rocker cover onto the hot exhaust. I recently had a garage check over the car and confirm there are no oil leaks.

What I am worried about is whether or not the engine is failing for a second time and hence burning oil.

I haven't done enought miles to see if it is using alot ot a little of oil yet but am keeping my eye on it.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Steve
I very much doubt its the cam covers, on dual avc's heads its a diffrent sealing system to the classic type engines, never seen one leak.
I would suggest a cylinder leakege test to confirm your piston / bore condition, as its quite common for ringland issues.

I presume all the breather connections are intact, but keep an eye on the oil level, it does dissaper very quickly on 2.5's with ringland problems, to the extent of completly using all the sumps capacity in under 500 miles.
Old 12 January 2013, 06:40 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

120 miles I emptied the sump on my 08 on its standard engine just what i always wanted.

Compression & leakdown would identify cylinder or piston issues.
Or if your more technical, diagnostic machine & look at the knock activity, ringland failure shows up pretty easy