Notices

Impreza engine gutting out

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2013, 09:04 PM
Baz33
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza engine gutting out

Hi all my impreza sport broke down last night in the 3rd lane of the m4 not good lol it took a wile too restart but cut out again this went on for 20min then it would Idle and rev up ok but then every time I pulled off it cut out again but was starting straight away and the gutting out some times when reving it rev clock needle wasn't going up and down in the end I give up and AA took me home when I took it off the lorry it started fine and drove round the block ok I came home grime work to day I started car up was fine it hadn't been started since last night I drove it 15 miles and was fine I'm very confused now. I checked flat codes I had 23 mass air flow sensor 34 idle air control sensor and emissions canister Purge valve with one if any would give me this problem any help would be great I need too use the car too go to Bristol about 110 miles tomorrow
Old 11 January 2013, 09:32 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

MAS sensor will cause this issue, so could the idle control valve you might struggle to get 1 tomorrow unless they are held by euro car parts in stock
Old 11 January 2013, 09:33 PM
Psyko
Scooby Newbie

I just had to change my maf sensor for the first time today. My car would hardly drive at all before I swapped it out. If your maf is in need of replacing I would strongly advise against any long journey. Also, when was the ecu last reset? From what I've read the ecu will store codes until a reset. Basically are the codes you read from the recent breakdown or a previous one?
Old 11 January 2013, 10:31 PM
Baz33
Scooby Regular

I cleared codes when fitted new crank sensor so codes are from this brake down I don't get why it's running fine now ? Was going too drive it and when it does it again andwon't start was going too check for spark and fual is this a waste of time ? I can't afford new maff sensor from a factor they are £150 and up depends on which one it is iv looked on eBay some second hand ones on their . The one that's in my car is a green label type one the only green ones I can find say they are for a turbo wrx mine is a sport is it possible some one has put wrong one in car any one now which one should be in mine if that one is wrong ?

Last edited by Baz33; 11 January 2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11 January 2013, 10:46 PM
Baz33
Scooby Regular

I all so thought it might have been fual filter or coil pack brakeing down ? Could it just be the maff sensor was just haveing a funny 5 min and ok now ? It was very very wet last night

Last edited by Baz33; 11 January 2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: H
Old 12 January 2013, 01:00 AM
Psyko
Scooby Newbie

To be honest I'm not sure which maf you should have on your car, but you should be able to pick one up second hand for a good price. I've seen them on ebay for £40. Have a look in the breaking section on scoobynet, I'm sure someone will have one. I would play it safe and replace it anyway. The fact that it's flashed up on the ecu is pretty much a sure sign that it's on it's way out.
Old 12 January 2013, 01:26 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

If you have a cone/foam type air filter fitted, it is possible it's drawn some water through and onto the maf sensor.
Old 12 January 2013, 07:04 AM
scottpolestar
Scooby Regular

Change the maf very common especially if fitted with cone filter and gf's sport has a green maf just check numbers against new one and if you do have cone filter when you fit new maf make sure you clean the filter out
Old 12 January 2013, 08:57 AM
Baz33
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks guys. I have std air filter on mine . I just looked thea a few second hand green maff sensors on eBay I think it is the right one on it after what's been said . I woke up this morning trying to remember what happened I think the AA man might have unplugged the air flow meter and tryed starting it that would show a flat code for it so I'm not sure if it is that sorry to confuse you all so could it be the other codes that came up ? I got a feeling it coil pack or fual filter or filter on fual pump pick up am I right in thinking theses 3 wouldn't bring up a falt code ? Thanks for the help so far guys need it sorted as I'm useing car too day got no choice and was hopeing to meet up with sws on wendsday
Old 12 January 2013, 07:42 PM
Baz33
Scooby Regular

I cleared all codes this morning so if it does it again should show up what's wrong but I drove car to Bristol and back it was faultless so I just have to wait and see if it happens again