Notices

first ej20 rebuild, a few simple Qs ...

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2013, 10:35 PM
scoooby mike
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question first ej20 rebuild, a few simple Qs ...

evening all, yesterday i encountered my first real issue with my car in years, however its not a small issue :/ on start up i thought i heard a small knock, now being paranoid i assumed the worst and turned it straight off, left it abit and gave it another go.....the knock was there again.

got home last night and pulled the lump out, stripped it down and the bearings are finished, not super fu*ked but not pretty.

now i have been tempted with doing an engine build for ages but no point in fixing what aint broke.......well now it is so here we go!

im planning on going forged pistons and rods, and up'ing the capicity a little
but there are a couple of things i need some help with...

1. iv found there are 11mm and 14mm head bolt stud kits, will both fit straight out of the box or will machining be needed??

2.are the uprated bolt kits that hold the block together a good idea or just a waste of time??

3.will any version of cylinder heads fit any block (if that makes any sense)?? as id like to upgrade to avcs heads.

4.is there a way i can tell genuine sti heads??

5.what is the advantages of turning the inlet round?? would it be worth considering while its all apart?

i have built a few engines before but never touched a flat engine and have to admit there were a few times while stripping it i could have happily throw the thing in the bin

any info will be greatly received,
Old 04 January 2013, 01:47 PM
t4and greys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoooby mike

1. iv found there are 11mm and 14mm head bolt stud kits, will both fit straight out of the box or will machining be needed??

needs machining to fit 14mm headstuds

2.are the uprated bolt kits that hold the block together a good idea or just a waste of time??

not seen them so cant really comment ,probably just a vanity thing no-ones ever gonna see em and std ones more than up to job

3.will any version of cylinder heads fit any block (if that makes any sense)?? as id like to upgrade to avcs heads.
stand to be corrected here but am sure some heads have different stud patterns for the manifolds ???
so would need diff manifolds also sure someone will elaborate a lil more

4.is there a way i can tell genuine sti heads??

again not too sure as no expert on heads

5.what is the advantages of turning the inlet round?? would it be worth considering while its all apart?

am sure its something to do with ppl running front mount intercoolers ,as it makes the pipework to cooler shorter (less laggy)

i have built a few engines before but never touched a flat engine and have to admit there were a few times while stripping it i could have happily throw the thing in the bin

any info will be greatly received,

hope that helps sure someone will tell you in more detail than me
Old 04 January 2013, 02:33 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

uprated head bolts will def help if your upping capacity and power to cope with higher pressures and more boost
Old 04 January 2013, 06:23 PM
scoooby mike
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the reply t4and greys.

anyone else out there .....
Old 04 January 2013, 06:38 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) 11mm studs are a direct replacement but 14mm studs will need the crankcases taking out to 14mm and the heads and head gaskets will need opening up for clearance on the studs.
2) ARP bolt kit for the crankcases - need to have it line honed with the crankcases torqued up with the ARP's due to the extra clamping pressure.
3) All heads are interchangeable but your inlet manifold may not fit depending on what Version Impreza you have.
4) Yes - depends on which Version of heads you are thinking of.
5) Depends on what power/turbo you are thinking of running amongst other things.

Mick
( time for a beer )