Oil filter sizes

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2012, 10:59 AM
spuker1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter sizes

Hi,

I have got a bit of a noob question but I have searched all the internets and couldn't find the right and precise answer for that.

HERE'S THE STORY (you can skip that if you don't care ) :

I'm going to service my classic Sport soon so I wanted to get the oil filter for it along with other bits and bobs. I'm going to fit a set of gauges at the same time so I needed a sandwich plate for it (yes, I know it's better to put an oil pressure sensor where the oil pressure swich is and a temp sensor somewhere over cylinder 3). And then I was enlightened... there are different thread sizes for filters!

So I went to my local Halfrauds and said 'hello can I have an oil filter for my car the registration number is this and that' and the lady said 'certainly is your car a 1996 subaru impreza sport 2.0 n/a sohc' and I said 'it certainly is, are you sure it's going to fit because it might be different for pre-facelift and facelift models as I have found out while changing my cambelt', so she said 'i have checked it by your number plate so it HAS TO FIT'. So I bought it for 7odd quid (which I think is quite a lot for a ****e halfords filter - part number: HOF257) and went back home jolly that I have all the bits I need now. Then I went on the internet to see how much I have overpaid for it and found out that all the filters listed on eBay and different car part web sites say that the filter is M20x1.5 and if fits ALL SUBARUS... So I thought, hmmm I will check the thread size on the Halfords one, just in case... and it seems to be M18x1,5 instead of M20x1,5....

So I thought ok, Halfords has got it all wrong as usually but than I have checked up couple of times more for filters for both turbo and non-turbo Impreza models and they all look different... And nowhere ever mentioned a M18 sized one....

QUESTION:

Could someone confirm that all filters for Subarus including non-turbo models are the same i.e. M20x1.5? Or if they are not, could someone make a list of thread sizes for different models?

Cheers!
Old 31 December 2012, 11:10 AM
BRAVEHEART_STI
Scooby Regular

all h4 ( 4 cylinder ) filters are the same bar the capacity and filter type on some

20x1.5
Old 31 December 2012, 11:12 AM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

Hello mate. Rather than add to the thread viewers and no comments, I will see if I can offer any value.

I recently serviced my Classic and got all the bits from Opie Oils on here - best to send 'Oilman' a PM to ask if you have the correct parts. Or, look at the service manual in the technical section here - or finally, if you have a friendly garage; ask them to look it up on Auto Data.

Hope this helps.

Jason.