what FPR and oil catch tank do you use-newage

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2012, 06:57 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default what FPR and oil catch tank do you use-newage

as above really

ive seen this oil catch tank on ebay (which looks similar to the japspeed 1 but £20 cheaper,also which FPR set up to use,i dont really wanna spend £100+ if it can be helped,the car is a blob wrx and will be running around 330-340 bhp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Allo...item1e7596a139
Old 24 December 2012, 07:04 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's any help, I needed a catch tank for my old Manta a while ago and there were hundreds of people selling that type on eBay. As far as I could tell, they're all pretty much the same, probably made in China and very basic.

Only the quality of the fittings seems to vary. A mate bought one and replaced the original fittings with stainless ones from a hydraulic parts place. I stuck with the standard parts.

I can't help with the 'FPR' as I've no idea what one is! Any chance of the full title instead of the acronym to enlighten me please?
Old 24 December 2012, 07:07 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
If it's any help, I needed a catch tank for my old Manta a while ago and there were hundreds of people selling that type on eBay. As far as I could tell, they're all pretty much the same, probably made in China and very basic.

Only the quality of the fittings seems to vary. A mate bought one and replaced the original fittings with stainless ones from a hydraulic parts place. I stuck with the standard parts.

I can't help with the 'FPR' as I've no idea what one is! Any chance of the full title instead of the acronym to enlighten me please?
haha yeah sorry mate i meant a fuel pressure regulator
Old 24 December 2012, 07:42 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

There are a few types people use bud, would say fuel lab is one of the more regular mentioned along with sx performance, plenty of other brands around fella but would say stay away from the early FSE brands you see a lot of on eBay they are no good IMO, use to use them on the vauxhalls years ago, constantly failed and were easy to bend the float / bar inside of it
Old 24 December 2012, 07:54 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
There are a few types people use bud, would say fuel lab is one of the more regular mentioned along with sx performance, plenty of other brands around fella but would say stay away from the early FSE brands you see a lot of on eBay they are no good IMO, use to use them on the vauxhalls years ago, constantly failed and were easy to bend the float / bar inside of it
yeah used an fse on a calibra years ago myself................fooking crap-ended up binning it
Old 24 December 2012, 08:03 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I run a fuel lab on mine, can't say I've had any problems with it, looks and feels a good bit of kit, but then again its going to compared to what I previously mentioned , never really needed one before tbth was more of a gimmick I suppose back then lol, but going off what the fuel lab is like then you shouldn't go far wrong, but they are a few quid for a new one, sure I seen one for sale with fittings not so long back on here bud, have a search it will save you a couple of quid if there is
Old 24 December 2012, 08:08 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

I run a fuel lab on mine, can't say I've had any problems with it, looks and feels a good bit of kit, but then again its going to compared to what I previously mentioned , never really needed one before tbth was more of a gimmick I suppose back then lol, but going off what the fuel lab is like then you shouldn't go far wrong, but they are a few quid for a new one, sure I seen one for sale with fittings not so long back on here bud, have a search it will save you a couple of quid if there is
there is 2 fpr's for sale on here at the minute 1 is unbranded and the other is branded but cannot remember what brand
Old 24 December 2012, 09:22 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont get a cheap ebay catch can.
You need a 3 port baffled and i wouldnt reccomend returning to sump on a daily car as it is usually full of moisture which you dont want returning back to the sump.
Obp do a decent 3 port baffled one
Old 24 December 2012, 09:35 AM
Hammer man
Scooby Regular

If you want to have a catch can fitted, try these people in Hinckley.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUARE-OIL...ht_1718wt_1170
I wouldnt of thought you need to bother with a fpr if your running around 340bhp, but as I know very little about these cars, I suggest a chat with David at Api (Harbury) and he can advise on what you have planned
Old 24 December 2012, 09:39 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Hammer man
If you want to have a catch can fitted, try these people in Hinckley.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SQUARE-OIL...ht_1718wt_1170
I wouldnt of thought you need to bother with a fpr if your running around 340bhp, but as I know very little about these cars, I suggest a chat with David at Api (Harbury) and he can advise on what you have planned
+1 i agree
No need for a fpr.
Old 24 December 2012, 10:13 AM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the no need on fpr, if you do though I'd not scrimp and save and go for the likes of fuel lab as I've found out
Old 24 December 2012, 10:14 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
Dont get a cheap ebay catch can.
You need a 3 port baffled and i wouldnt reccomend returning to sump on a daily car as it is usually full of moisture which you dont want returning back to the sump.
Obp do a decent 3 port baffled one
where would i return it or is that a really daft question?
Old 24 December 2012, 11:01 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

You can return the oil in the catch can to the sump via a hose.This saves you emptying the can but on an everyday car the can will collect moisture as well as oil and you dont want this returning to your sump and mixing with your engine oil.
Old 24 December 2012, 11:05 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
You can return the oil in the catch can to the sump via a hose.This saves you emptying the can but on an everyday car the can will collect moisture as well as oil and you dont want this returning to your sump and mixing with your engine oil.
so whats the benefit of a 3 port baffled one then? i dont mind having to empty it now and then
Old 24 December 2012, 11:09 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

You don't on non return, you just wait for it to fill with the excess oil and empty it when required to do so, as mentioned above there are differing opinions on the return/non return cans as they can fill with moisture and what's normally collected in the can is ****ty oil anyway from the breathers so probably better off just emptying it and topping it back up with fresh to the marker on the dip stick, I have never seen an oil catch can when full I'd want to empty back in to the sump tbh, maybe different on Motorsport applications tho with fresh builds etc
Old 24 December 2012, 11:11 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

You don't on non return, you just wait for it to fill with the excess oil and empty it when required to do so, as mentioned above there are differing opinions on the return/non return cans as they can fill with moisture and what's normally collected in the can is ****ty oil anyway from the breathers so probably better off just emptying it and topping it back up with fresh to the marker on the dip stick, I have never seen an oil catch can when full I'd want to empty back in to the sump tbh, maybe different on Motorsport applications tho with fresh builds etc
yeah it makes sense mate really,i will look into a 3-port one altho im not really sure what the 3rd port is for?
Old 24 December 2012, 11:12 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by the shreksta
so whats the benefit of a 3 port baffled one then? i dont mind having to empty it now and then
3 port you dont need to t the breather hose.
Old 24 December 2012, 11:14 AM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

2 heads with breathers and the block also so 3 is just neater