Notices

Choices choices

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2012, 01:37 PM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choices choices

Hi people of scoobynet I'm after some views I'm in the stages of getting a new turbo and ecu for my 04 sti uk but I'm torn between 2 items 2 company's
Do I go for

Sc42 and a Alcatec/simtek ecu from scooby clinic
Or
Md321t and a syvecs ecu from lateral

Both company's rate there turbos and and obviously the ecus price wise very similar but Im stuck between what to do can anyone give me some reviews on both and would I notice any real difference in the drive I'm after an awesome road car minimum spool but maximum bang for buck. So that's it really which setup should I go with.

The car already has full decat exhaust fuel pump and panel filter I'll almost most likely do the injectors aswell.

Cheers in advance

Regards

Dave

Last edited by wrx271; 22 November 2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 22 November 2012, 06:58 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Subscribed.
Old 22 November 2012, 07:29 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dave

Personally I would go with Syvecs S6 ECU and MDX321T,we are made on T 490bhp on V-power and 20% methanol,on your spec you should be making similar power,but I'm suspecting you will be making more,just due you are have better heads like we are have before,on our 2.1L limiting factor has been limiting factor JDM WRX AVCS heads

About the ECU choices,I would choose Syvecs without the doubts,just due few reasons,you don't need extra controller for Wideband(on AlcaTek/SimTek you will need),for EGT you don't need controller(on AlcaTek/SimTek you will need),ALS and LC for free(on AlcaTek/SimTek you will need to pay extra),Datalogging is free(on AlcaTek/SimTek you will need to pay extra),customer service from Syvecs guys(Ryan/Charlie or Pat) is best possible and this for me counts more than price and Syvecs forum which is very helpful and if its problem,guys from Syvecs or mappers/users of Syvecs are there to help you

Jura
Old 23 November 2012, 08:36 AM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

thanks for your veiws jura very very helpfull the ecu really is a no brainer the turbo again seems to be conclusive aswell im not really chasing numbers im all about how it drives thats very important to me as i want the best out of the car on the road.
i cant seem to find the mdx321t or is it the same as the md321t billet which is on laterals website and im confusing myself.

thanks again

dave
Old 23 November 2012, 08:45 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

MDX321T is MD321T Billet

About the best turbo,if you have friends which have fitted above turbo(SC42/46 or MD321T),try and decide from this,how it feels and mainly speak with your mapper,what he thinks about this

Jura
Old 23 November 2012, 08:58 AM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

the problem is i know no one with a scooby with these mods ive spoke to my mapper who has suggested the md321t obviously its big money so i dont want to buy the wrong one the mrs has already had a small heart attack over the money so i really dont need to buy a wrongen.

also i dont know if you can help im going to have a meths map aswell can you run me through it im sure ive read meths rots seals etc would i have to use all the fuel in the tank if its a meths mix or is it ok to sit there for maybe a week or 2 and lets say ive filled the car up with vp/meths can i still use my non meths map even though it has meths init and where does one buy meths and is it just meths or minarel meths ?

dave

Last edited by wrx271; 23 November 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 23 November 2012, 11:29 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

From what I can gather regarding methanol, its fine to sit in the tank but not for extended periods I.E months, one of the guys by me runs meths and he usually uses a tank per 2weeks with meth mixed in and so far has had no problems as of yet.

You would not use your NON METH MAP when running meth in the fuel wil be mapped for different afr's, timing will be different etc etc, you will probably end up detting your engine to death, you will have a switch in place to tell you what map you are on with the syvecs same also for simtek / Alcatek.

You buy meth in containers of different sizes, ie 10lts 25lts etc etc which you add to your fuel depending on the mix ratio, the more you buy the cheaper it is, and can be bought from places such as Jennychem, trinity etc, do a google search it will give you a list of places that sells it

Trending Topics

Old 23 November 2012, 11:37 AM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

Ok i thought as much with the whole switching of the maps so once the meths is in it has to stay on the meths map so at what point do you switch over i take it once its down to say the last 1/4 do you just fill it up with vpower then switch to the vpower map ?
Old 23 November 2012, 12:24 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

He runs his down to the light,refills and then flicks the switch, he said he normally takes his time for the first few miles after refuelling.
Old 23 November 2012, 02:22 PM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

oh rite that sounds straight forward im new to all the meths buisness but learning fast can you give me link to some meths ive found loads but they all have different names ?
Old 23 November 2012, 03:44 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

With a re-build impending, i've been researching having a meth mix as well.
You need virgin methanol & if you get it in decent amounts, which I will as it's my daily runner, it works out about £1 per litre or less! - http://www.jennychem.com/methanol/80...al-barrel.html

Interesting reading on the point you switch over maps, if you have to.

Last edited by IggyRB320; 23 November 2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 23 November 2012, 04:11 PM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

are you saying that the meths will be slowy eating my engine over time if thats the case theres probably no point running it for the gains or is it ?
Old 23 November 2012, 06:32 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

As Craig(Infected by sti) said,we will run down to the light and refill the normal fuel(V-Power or T99) or T99/V-Power with 20% methanol and then we switch the map

You cannot switch on the V-Power/T99 when you have filled with 20% methanol

We are run methanol on our wagon almost everytime,on longer trips we are used normal fuel

We are usually buying via eBay from this seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Methanol-f...item20cd837d8c

Second option is to have Water Methanol Kit fitted, which can be controlled via ECU.Water methanol can be switched like via specific map or you can fit specific switch for that

With Water methanol you will gain less,but in most cases is very comparable,in our case we are run 65/35% Water/Methanol

Jura
Old 23 November 2012, 07:00 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx271
are you saying that the meths will be slowy eating my engine over time if thats the case theres probably no point running it for the gains or is it ?
I have not seen any hard evidence that meth destroys your engine no, and there are people on here that have been running meth for a few years and have had no problems, you always get a story of people with issues but more often than not its down to them not using the correct map or is purely just a coincidence that a seal may have gone, I'm not saying it won't contribute to it and If any seals were perished then it may help speed the process up yes, but it is not the diffinitive reason why something has failed, or at least from what I have come across anyway
Old 23 November 2012, 07:35 PM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

Some great advice there Jura/ibsti thankyou very much do you guys do anything with the method before putting it in etc do you filter it or anything I should know.

Again thanks for your advice

Dave
Old 23 November 2012, 07:42 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're going to run methanol, you've got to think about the storage of it. It readily absorbs water/moisture which makes it useless.

It also burns with no flame! And IIRC your skin can absorb it. It's quite nasty stuff, but, certainly serves it's purpose.