Notices

Block and stroker kit options

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2012, 08:20 PM
riza
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Block and stroker kit options

hi everyone, bit of a first post but here goes...

im going straight into the deep end not had alot to do with ej20 builds yet but im sure there are plenty of peep on here who have so here goes..

when it comes to choosing between semi and fully closed decks what are the pro's/cons of each?

i know that fully closed would be better for silly power but is it true that they dont cool as well?

what sort of power do people tend to opt for a fully closed over a semi?

With regaurds to the stroker kits, what are the pro's/cons/differences between the 2.1 and 2.35 kits??

is it just a case of the bigger the better? (sticking with ej20)

any help greatly appreciated
Old 25 September 2012, 12:49 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Before this you should ask yourself how much bhp you are looking to run, what turbo you are planning and mainly what is your budget

We are run open deck block(EJ205 WRX block) at 490bhp,our engine builder said can be pushed up to 550bhp,with semi closed deck you should be able to run 550bhp and above,but this depends on more factors rods,pistons,headstuds etc...

Here Martyn and AlanJ run 2.1L CDB above 700bhp with great success

Stroker kits as before all depends on power what are you thinking to run and what is budget,difference is 2.35L will need extra EJ22T CDB block(this cost usually around from £1000-£1400),rod length is same as on the 2.0L or 2.5L,crank is 79mm etc

As I said,all depends on the budget and on the power what you are thinking to run and from this I would go,but best will be contact here engine builders which have enough experience with building stroker engines

Jura
Old 25 September 2012, 10:35 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

The above is spot on, just to add alot of People want CDB's but in reality ODB's are absolutely fine for 90% of builds (ej20's that is).
Old 26 September 2012, 07:04 PM
riza
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the advice

tbh i hadnt really thought of power too much. if im being honest id love to hit around the 500 mark but id be more than happy with 400!

I spent alot of time racing with people who did nothing but brag about "there power" but never had any proof/wouldnt go near rollers so i just sort of shut down abit when people start to bag on about numbers

As for turbo's iv been looking and impreza's must be one of the most confusing cars for turbo choice ever! there must be millions l LOTS more searching needed
all i really know atm is id like it to be billet and not a massive lag monster.

i thought the 2.35 kit could be carried out on the ej20.but now i know better,that would rule that out as i want to stick with the ej20 lump.

Also are all closed and semi cdb's rear thrusted??
Old 26 September 2012, 07:44 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Semi closed are rear thrust, but closed deck blocks aren't.
Having said that, we carry out the machining here! We modify the rear thrust pad and machine the slots for the bearing caps, to use stock rear thrust ACL bearings.
As has been said, 400/500 bhp certainly doesn't need anything other than an open deck block if that's what you have sat there.
An SC42 turbo runs a very nice 400 bhp plus, plenty of power if you have a classic, and a decent five speed box should put up with it nicely.
We offer short block or full engine builds, PM if you'd like to know more specifics?