Notices

Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2012, 06:03 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Upgrade

Im looking at getting a bit more from my STI 8, and starting to look at turbos.
Currently i have full decat system, panel filter, uprated fuel pump and a remap amongst a few suspension bits.
Its a weekend car, i enjoy a bit of a thrash opn the road but im not planning on going on track.
Now, im starting to look at upping the power a bit, and don't know where to start. As its going to stay on the road, i think just cracking 400 would be what im after.
Ive had a look at the usual suspect turbos (20g, sc42, md321 etc) and the reviews from owners.
I like the look of the AF 20g, but lag gets mentioned a lot, but on a road car, is that such a bad thing?
Would i be needing a FMIC? Are standard headers any good at this point?
Need to get to grips with the parts to make a budget.
Help?!
Old 24 August 2012, 06:19 PM
MK1ITS
Scooby Regular

Limited knowledge from myself Truss but ported headers will help reduce the lag from a 'laggy' turbo whilst improving the overall throttle response.

Also, a FMIC will def help keep charge temps down when running higher boost under high speed runs, which from personal experience, would be a good thing.

Both FMIC and ported headers will be found on here for under £500 so a worthwhile investment if your planning big power.

In regards to turbos, my knowledge is limited there. I'm just upgrading from a TD04 on my 04 WRX to a IHIVF22 which I hope to get with supporting mods around 300-320bhp.

There are plenty of people on here with knowledge but things to consider running 400bhp are:

Will the diff handle that power reliably or are you pushing it?
Will the standard STI internals handle it reliably?
Gearbox?

I could be wrong but I believe that once you get to around that figure, you start putting strain on standard components.

In fact, IIRC the standard top mount wont allow you to go to 400bhp...again could be wrong...... queue the experts....
Old 24 August 2012, 06:39 PM
ukpaisley
Scooby Regular

I have just gone gor an AF 20G 2nd hand, but remember technologhy has moved on , and most of the posts you read about the 20G are probably based upon the standard, not the billet version. Most of the new turbos you mention are billet, better responce, marginally better performane top end. Then there is the cost !!

Hope this helps.
Old 24 August 2012, 07:11 PM
ralph3090
Scooby Regular

Default turbo

hello mate im running an sc40 running 420hp will be up for sale in a couple of weeks if interested

i also have a sti v8
Old 24 August 2012, 08:30 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

Give us a shout ralph by all means.
Thanks for the help!
MK1ITS; i think the newage STI should handle what im intending all round.
ukpaisley, im sure that would be the case, handnt taken the billet part of it into consideration.
Thinking of looking into this to get it done for spring, so i have plenty of time.