Turbo 2000 blue smoke... ideas

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2013, 04:43 PM
Classiclove
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 2000 blue smoke... ideas

Hi all,

Fairly new to Subaru's as mainly owned German cars until now... In any case, I have a Turbo 2000, with 98K on the clock. I picked it up in August, serviced it, new plugs oil, filters etc with good quality parts. The plugs that came out seemed ok, no odd colourings.
I checked the car the other day and no blue smoke.
Today there was some on start up, (after driving home and leaving it to cool for about 3 - 4 hours. It was fairly constant, so I turned the car around so the engine was in the garage side, checked again and no smoke on idle, few blips of throttle and there were a few puffs of blue smoke.
Checked intake into intercooler and there was oil misting, more sticky residue rather than any puddles.

I'm thinking it's more likely to be turbo oil seals rather than valve stem (are valve stem harder to diagnose being a boxer engine?). I'm hoping / thinking it's not piston rings with that sort of mileage on the car, would of thought they last a bit longer than 98K.

Car is going into a garage on Tuesday for a few bits to get done, but any suggestions as to where to start looking? No knocks or bangs and the engine doesn't seem down on power (as said, not a guru on jap cars so not sure what the power delivery should be, but it's punchy that's for sure).

Thanks in advance for any help, I have searched through but most suggestions are for tuned cars and some newer models. Anyone with experience of this in a classic would be great.
Thanks
Old 21 October 2013, 08:46 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Compression test. Then go from there.
Old 21 October 2013, 09:59 AM
codfather
Scooby Regular

Its not just about the mileage on the clock..you've also got to consider what sort of life has it had beford you owned it etc..