Notices

Rear diff or dccd center diff problem...

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2012, 12:36 AM
goffemannen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff or dccd center diff problem...

Hi everyone I got a problem with the rear diff or the dccd center diff.

I got adjustable lateral links and now when I got a new wheel alignment last week (-2.8camber in the rear) the wheels has come to far out so the right hand side driveshaft popped out when charging hard on second gear in a tight corner on the track. To be able to get to the pits I had to put the dccd in the orange feilds to get the car to drive forwards. I got the driveshaft back in and went out again to test. It felt fine and I started to charge harder again. When I got to the same corner again I was at second gear and gunning it then the whole car started shaking badly, I lifted of and it stopped. I got back to the pits but couldn't see anything wrong. But I packed the car and went home. When I have the dccd on the two green fields the car shakes A LOT when I accelerate(going strait)! I don't have to give much gas before it's starts shaking. When rolling it's perfectly fine. My first thought was that the right hand rear driveshaft had damage the splines when it popped out and was slipping on the splines in the diff, because when I move the dccd in to the orange fields it dosen't shake, there force is divided more to the front so the rear dosen't get so much load. I can drive the car nice and easy and it isn't any noises. I drove as fast as 75mph.

Also when accelerating on 3,4,5,6 around 2000-3000 rpm with the dccd in orange fields(green impossible since the car starts shaking first thing when I give it gas) it is a burring noise....burrr...2-3sec....burrr....2-3sec....burrr. It sounds like it's coming from the rear but I can't be sure.

When I turn to full lock and drive on first gear with the dccd fully open going in a circle slow I could hear a "banging/burrning" noise from the rear. Like, bang...2sec....bang....2sec...bang

I got the diff down today. There isn't any visible damage on the splines on the driveshafts or the diff. But there is a lot of small metal flakes on the oil. And there is some damage on the metal on as you can see in the picture. The damage is from the driveshaft popping out so I think the flakes in the oil is from that.

The rear diff feels good when turning it around. I strapped one of the driveshafts and turned the other one, there is a little resistance in it as it should be being a mechanical lsd diff, and it feels good. I will try another rear diff in a coulpe of days and see if that solves my problem. I'm not sure it will, I think it's something wrong with the center diff. What do you think??

I got a hawk 6speed euro box(rear diff from the same car, have driven with this box for several months) on a v5 sti type r. Having 330bhp in the engine.

Last edited by goffemannen; 16 July 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 16 July 2012, 09:50 AM
goffemannen
Scooby Regular

Last edited by goffemannen; 16 July 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 16 July 2012, 09:55 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

Sounds to me like the rear diff is the wrong ratio for the 6 speed box,are you using the original type r diff or a have you fitted one from a uk 6 speed car.
Old 16 July 2012, 10:04 AM
goffemannen
Scooby Regular

I got the correct diff. Been using it for several months now. It's from the same car as the gearbox.

But I don't think the problem is the diff. I think it's the dccd diff. I can't see anything wrong on th rear diff. At least now when I haven't disassabled it completely.
Old 17 July 2012, 01:18 PM
goffemannen
Scooby Regular

Wohoooo. The car is rolling!!!!!

The rear diff was the problem. I open up my old one later
To investigate.
Old 17 July 2012, 02:20 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

I thought it sounded rear diff related from the symptoms you described,glad your all sorted now fella.
Old 17 July 2012, 04:08 PM
goffemannen
Scooby Regular

The only thing I could see wrong with the diff was the plates. 3-4 of them looked bad.

Here is some pictures...