Notices

JDM wagon: MY97 vs MY2000 differences?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2012, 01:00 PM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default JDM wagon: MY97 vs MY2000 differences?

I just replaced the JDM MY97 wagon with a JDM MY2000 wagon. Does anyone know what the mechanical differences are, apart from the obvious ones I can see?

I ask because it feels like the newer one lacks a bit of bottom end pull but probably has more top end. Are the turbos different, or is it the map? Were cam profiles revised for the phase II motor? I did a ECU reset but seemed to make no difference.

I've read snippets about ECUs being different from MY99 to MY2000 but not sure if that was UK delivery only.

Cheers for any thoughts, including the experiences of anyone who's done an ECU remap on a similar model to improve response and early torque.
Old 12 July 2012, 01:57 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be wrong but an MY97 is a UK car as is a MY2000.

JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) are classed as Versions V1,2,3 etc.

Is yours an import or a Uk version? It might clear things up and help the people that really know what they are on about.
Old 12 July 2012, 03:13 PM
DutchKev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davoid
I just replaced the JDM MY97 wagon with a JDM MY2000 wagon. Does anyone know what the mechanical differences are, apart from the obvious ones I can see?

I ask because it feels like the newer one lacks a bit of bottom end pull but probably has more top end. Are the turbos different, or is it the map? Were cam profiles revised for the phase II motor? I did a ECU reset but seemed to make no difference.

I've read snippets about ECUs being different from MY99 to MY2000 but not sure if that was UK delivery only.

Cheers for any thoughts, including the experiences of anyone who's done an ECU remap on a similar model to improve response and early torque.

i have both a my98 and a my00 and i feel the exact same as you - the 98 seems to pull alot harder in lower revs when the turbo is 1st spooling up and feels like it gives up about 5000 rpm whereas my my00 spools up at the same time as the 98 but sont feel as urgent, but feels stronger for loner through the rev range - i couldnt figure this one out either - i thought i had a boost leak on the newer one but all is fine

ive been told the gearboxes on the my99-00 are stronger than the previous versions so maybe the gear ratios are different?
Old 12 July 2012, 07:13 PM
davoid
Scooby Regular

I replaced a JDM WRX wagon (Oct 96 build, so referred to as MY97) with a JDM MY2000 wagon. They are both classic shape imports. I buy japanese because I like indicator stalks on the right side.

Gearboxes are the same.
Old 12 July 2012, 09:29 PM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Markfey. If yours is a snarkey reply, do give me credit for actually knowing what sort of cars I buy. If not a snarkey reply, apologies for having confused you with my terminology.
Old 15 July 2012, 10:25 AM
davoid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DutchKev
i have both a my98 and a my00 and i feel the exact same as you - the 98 seems to pull alot harder in lower revs when the turbo is 1st spooling up and feels like it gives up about 5000 rpm whereas my my00 spools up at the same time as the 98 but sont feel as urgent, but feels stronger for loner through the rev range - i couldnt figure this one out either - i thought i had a boost leak on the newer one but all is fine

ive been told the gearboxes on the my99-00 are stronger than the previous versions so maybe the gear ratios are different?
Answer from Ryan at prodrive (with thanks):

...the 97 would have had a TD04 which is quite a small turbo and spools very fast making it feel like it pulls from very low down the revs whereas the 00 has a VF28 turbo which is bigger thus spooling a little later BUT making a bit more power which is why it feels like it pulls harder at the top end of the revs