Notices

DIY mapping , whos doing it ?

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2012, 09:43 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY mapping , whos doing it ?

Dont know if this topic has been covered a great deal on here but ive Had a couple of questions asking about DIY open source mapping
So starting this thread to try and get the folks together and maybe swap ideas run through bits and bobs and generally see how common it is over here (lot bigger in the states )
This is really aimed at us DIY amateurs
But if any full time mappers would like to give any advice your more than welcome , although I'm not expecting that for obvious reasons

I'll start it off I'm using a modded vag cable
Romraider ecu editor
Ecu flash
And currently running carberry speed density rom or mafless Rom

It's all very new to me and I don't really know a massive amount and still learning (there's a lot to learn )

Tony
Old 03 July 2012, 10:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Main things to look out for other than the engine being healthy are:

1. Correct air fuel ratio
2. Avoid detonation
3. Avoid excessive boost

It isn't difficult, but many go wrong by missing one of these points which appear simple, but bite you on the *** when you forget.
Old 03 July 2012, 10:27 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yes very true, these are the golden rules also time !
Take your time and adjust a little at a time just small adjustments ,
Old 03 July 2012, 10:31 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

I wanna try this! My mate does it on Nissan's
Old 03 July 2012, 10:38 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Forgot to say for standard ecu and o/s mapping we are talking bugeye onwards ,
Give it a go mate , any questions I'll try and answer or someone with more brain cells than me will
Old 03 July 2012, 10:43 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

Ah mines a classic
Old 03 July 2012, 10:47 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

As above said John Banks

Plus log as many possible data from any changes you will make

I would suggest Det cans(you can make them easily) and wideband

DIY Det cans

http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...5-dollars.html

Jura
Old 03 July 2012, 11:00 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
As above said John Banks

Plus log as many possible data from any changes you will make

I would suggest Det cans(you can make them easily) and wideband

DIY Det cans

http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...5-dollars.html

Jura
Yes log log and log some more , you can never have too much data
Even if you don't get into the full blown mapping if you sort the cable and software you will have the ability to give your car a good check over to see if it's all in order and be able to pull codes or disable them , for little cost
Old 03 July 2012, 11:15 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Been mapping and tweaking my bug wrx since January.
Tactrix 2.0 kit with RomRaider, ecuflash, learning view and proscan for general diagnostics.
Old 04 July 2012, 07:37 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Ive been mapping mine since I had a new downpipe fitted. I do engine calibration for a living so made sense to do my own.

Doesnt seem to be a lot of talk about it on here so nice to see this thread.
Old 04 July 2012, 07:42 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
Ive been mapping mine since I had a new downpipe fitted. I do engine calibration for a living so made sense to do my own.

Doesnt seem to be a lot of talk about it on here so nice to see this thread.
Could do with some of your knowledge buddy
It's a little heavy goin when you get started but I think the more folks start doin it the better , to read about somthing can seem a lot harder than doing it
But once you get into being able to read , alter flash it becomes a whole new world
Old 04 July 2012, 08:17 AM
bengo
Scooby Regular

Been mapping DIY for nearly 2 years, and have been running SD since October last year. Using Tactrix 2 cable, ECU Flash, ECU Edit & RomRaider.
Old 04 July 2012, 01:03 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by toneh
Could do with some of your knowledge buddy
It's a little heavy goin when you get started but I think the more folks start doin it the better , to read about somthing can seem a lot harder than doing it
But once you get into being able to read , alter flash it becomes a whole new world
Im happy to help out where I can. Just drop me a pm.
Old 04 July 2012, 02:58 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Am DIY mapping too - using RomRaider and Tactrix OP 2.

Glad to see a thread about this as there's not a lot of coverage usually.

Be good to be able to swap a few maps with people too.

Last edited by Gigsy; 04 July 2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04 July 2012, 04:22 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L3YMS
I am hoping I may learn enough over time to make my own adjustments to the PFC on a classic after getting a proper tune first.
It does seem very confusing though as there seem so many different maps. I cant even get my head round what exactly 'load' is! I think if someone explained/showed you the basics it would be a million times easier than trying to teach yourself using online info.
I am hoping that watching 'map tracer' on the hand controller will teach me quite a bit.
if you've been watching the map tracer you should know what 'load' is.
then you should be able to cross reference with your fuel and ignition tables and make the appropriate changes.
just remember that when you do the above you will be hitting different load cells so will require adjustment in these areas also and so on and so forth.

Tim
Old 04 July 2012, 06:20 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brendy76
Been mapping and tweaking my bug wrx since January.
Tactrix 2.0 kit with RomRaider, ecuflash, learning view and proscan for general diagnostics.
Hi mate I think I've seen you post on romraider (not sure )
When I get time I'm gonna post some pics on how to mod a vag.com cable , to flash with but like I said before it will only do selected ecu,s
Deffo flashes 01/2 wrx bugs , can be done for £10 ,

I've got one niggle so far , I can use learning view for all my standard mapping but can't use it for carberry mafless , I think all my definitions are right , any ideas
Old 04 July 2012, 07:17 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

When I get time I'm gonna post some pics on how to mod a vag.com cable , to flash with but like I said before it will only do selected ecu,s

I've got one niggle so far , I can use learning view for all my standard mapping but can't use it for carberry mafless , I think all my definitions are right , any ideas

Learning view does work with the carbibles rom and I think the definitions are built into the program, check that you've got the latest version.
Old 04 July 2012, 07:40 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Maybe you guys should start a thread in the tech section for those that are interested in mapping...hints, tips, basics as well as the terminology like flash, Roms and definitons....Would also give people a better understanding of this witch craft they call mapping
Old 04 July 2012, 08:43 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
Maybe you guys should start a thread in the tech section for those that are interested in mapping...hints, tips, basics as well as the terminology like flash, Roms and definitons....Would also give people a better understanding of this witch craft they call mapping
Which tech section , I don't really understand what or where you mean
If guys want to know what a rom is or def they are more than welcome to ask away here
Or do you mean a seperate thread just listing a brief description of terminology
And the basic mapping process

Tony
Old 04 July 2012, 08:51 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by bengo
Learning view does work with the carbibles rom and I think the definitions are built into the program, check that you've got the latest version.
I'm using the def that came with the rom , I'll double check I'm still current
Also I had to define from scratch on ecu flash (I've got to use ecu flash 1.32 so I can use my modded vag )
Im way To tight to buy tactrix
Old 04 July 2012, 08:58 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Ok just post up here.....
Old 04 July 2012, 09:57 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

I am going to buy a Tactrix 2.0 open port set up in the next few weeks. Are there any UK sellers who sell these items or will i have to stick with the US supplier i have found ?
Old 04 July 2012, 10:02 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madmarx
I am going to buy a Tactrix 2.0 open port set up in the next few weeks. Are there any UK sellers who sell these items or will i have to stick with the US supplier i have found ?
Hi mate give jdm stig a pm he might have one he's willing to sell , I've not seen any in the uk but tbh I didn't look that hard
What car are u doing , or are you thinking various cars
Old 04 July 2012, 10:08 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

As mentioned, I thought the LV had the ability to read it ok. I am still running standard mapping rather than SD. Its plenty for my little brain to be getting on with for now! haha. Love tweaking then going out for a run to test, pity it was so time consuming. I only recently added the Tinywrex Launch control ability, it is pretty cool though.
Old 04 July 2012, 10:21 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brendy76
As mentioned, I thought the LV had the ability to read it ok. I am still running standard mapping rather than SD. Its plenty for my little brain to be getting on with for now! haha. Love tweaking then going out for a run to test, pity it was so time consuming. I only recently added the Tinywrex Launch control ability, it is pretty cool though.
Yes mate by all accounts learning view should work , I'm more than Likley doing somthing wrong , trust me switch to s/d it's not that hard at all you won't regret it , it's only the values that are slightly different , you will sus it out pretty quick , if you can patch tinywrex in your not that daft I know lol
The spark cut l/c is so easy to set up And way more effective than tinywrex , your injector scaling , latency ect you can carry over , afrs , timing ect I just tweaked from the standard rom and it's perfect , I'm even running the w/g duty cycle and target boost from the standard rom and it's all good ,, give it a go , bet you don't regret it !
Oh forgot don't forget if you are gonna run s/d you've got to delete your tgvs or pin em open if you've got em

Tony

Last edited by toneh; 04 July 2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: I'm a turnip headed wombat
Old 04 July 2012, 10:38 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

I'm using the def that came with the rom , I'll double check I'm still current
Also I had to define from scratch on ecu flash (I've got to use ecu flash 1.32 so I can use my modded vag )
Im way To tight to buy tactrix
I would well recommend the tactrix cable for the standalone logging alone, it's a bit pricey but a great bit of kit.

The learning view program as far as I know has the base definitions built into it, it does not rely on ECU Flash/Romraider definitions, so make sure you have the latest version of learning view (http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewt...hp?f=32&t=7397).

This is the only learning view screen shot I can find from my SD ROM (Excuse the IAM and AF learning, I had leaking injectors when this was done...) :

Note the CAL ID.

Ben

Last edited by bengo; 04 July 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04 July 2012, 10:58 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

WIthout a doubt tactrix is the proper job , but my madjax modded does exactly the same job on 01/2 edm wrx , so for me personally it's not worth the investment
The def I've used did come with the rom download so I'm pretty sure that's fine , but when I go to ecu flash its got no def so I have to define myself ,,, I thought it might be because I'm using 1.32 or like you say not the current l/v I'll have a look tomorrow
By the way I've seen a lot worse learning view a/fs posted without leaking injectors
Also forgot to ask how much of a change did moving the IAT sensor post intercooler to readings and logs

Last edited by toneh; 04 July 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04 July 2012, 11:07 PM
bengo
Scooby Regular

WIthout a doubt tactrix is the proper job , but my madjax modded does exactly the same job on 01/2 edm wrx , so for me personally it's not worth the investment
The def I've used did come with the rom download so I'm pretty sure that's fine , but when I go to ecu flash its got no def so I have to difine myself ,,, I thought it might be because I'm using 1.32 or like you say not the current l/v I'll have a look tomorrow
By the way I've seen a lot worse learning view a/fs posted without leaking injectors
You're right a modified VAGCOM is fine for flashing but the Tactrix allows you to chuck a memory card in and log for days which is very useful.

There are ECU Flash definitions available now for carberry's rom but the basic one included is fine for flashing, I use romraider to edit. Learning View does not use these definitions, they are built in and can't be changed AFAIK.

Yeah that A/Fs weren't too bad, but IAM was not good and was loosing 4* of timing across the board... Fixed the injectors and now everything is bang on.

Sorted out my idling issue now too, sits nicely at 800RPM now... love this ROM!
Old 04 July 2012, 11:24 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Ah well could be the fact I've got to use the older learning view then
So that's another downside I suppose
Yeah I'm well impressed with this Rom too i was gonna try and drop my idle but I think I'm gonna leave it
I've always had slight clutch judder with the old clutch and new , but since running this rom with increased idle it makes it a hell of a lot better so I'm keeping it ,,, mind you I can't stop using the l/c so I don't think this clutch is gonna judder for much longer at this rate
Old 07 July 2012, 01:10 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Right I've had a few messages about getting started diy mapping so I've decided at short notice to invite anyone who wants to come to mine and I'll run through the basics on getin started , , I'm not mapping no ones car just going through what software , how to install it , how to flash it in and a brief run through of map data
Tomorrow mid day (Mansfield notts )
If anyone's interested pm me and I'll give you the details
Cheers tony
Sorry forgot again bugeye onwards only

Last edited by toneh; 07 July 2012 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY mapping , whos doing it ?