Notices

such a thing as a quiet jap style angled backbox?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2012, 09:26 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default such a thing as a quiet jap style angled backbox?

I have a 3" decat trubo back, to jap style angled back box.

I LOVE the way it looks. But after a month, I've decided its just too loud for me.

I'm wondering has anyone ever come across a jap style aangled back box that is quiet?
Old 17 June 2012, 09:32 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

give cobra exhausts a ring ,you might get away with a middle section with a extra silencer built in or maybe just one off there back boxs might do
Old 17 June 2012, 09:36 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Yeah, good idea. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Was wondering if anyone had ever come across a quiet angled back box, or even better had one for sale before I get a new system :-)
Old 17 June 2012, 09:38 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

I had a cobra jap system on my classic and it was loud as hell, maybe a custom center pipe will dampen it down a tad.
Old 17 June 2012, 09:46 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

I've got it on my twinscroll bugeye, and I've seen lots of louder scoobies on the road as I'm driving by, and I enjoy the sound sunny days like today :-) but for the rest of the time its just toooo loud for me.
Old 17 June 2012, 10:16 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

not alot will be quiet with a 3" decat
Old 18 June 2012, 12:19 AM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Iv got a 3" system with 2 resonators then a good size back box, no car and it's not loud at all so just try get a system with 3 silencers on it
Old 18 June 2012, 09:43 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boost luver
Iv got a 3" system with 2 resonators then a good size back box, no car and it's not loud at all so just try get a system with 3 silencers on it
I'm going to see if I can get something like that from Cobra, if not, i may just dig deeps and go with their track friendly system, which is not the look i like.

Oh well, i'll let everyone know how I get one.

Cheers all
Old 18 June 2012, 11:48 AM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Where about are you? There is a company on Birmingham they make custom exhausts and will do 1 from the down pipe back for about £250
They did me a system for my evo and they make it as quiet or loud as you want it.
Old 18 June 2012, 12:32 PM
_Viktor
Scooby Regular

Default Acoustafil

Before you do any of the above... I would recommend repacking the exhaust.
My HnS back box was sounding very 'canny', too loud for an old man like me.

Iv used acoustafil before as have a lot of people in the Lotus n Caterham 7 club to get car below track day noise limits, the general opinion is that its very good and doesnt blow out like regular packing can.

I have just (2 weeks ago) cut open the HnS back box, ripped out the remains of the exhaust packing, packed new acoustafil ok the backbox to a local machine shop who can do stainless steel welding to weld a patch over the hole I cut.
Now the car sounds great, like a Subaru but not 'barra boy'.

I purchased mine from http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk I used 3m x 400mm and it was all needed. use the calc in the site to see how much you need. the product is not cheap, but it works far better than regular packing. All I can say the product does what it says on the tin.
I have no affiliation to either company, just happy with the product.

I might actually take some pics n a sound recording n post in a new thread then I get around to it.

Vik

Last edited by _Viktor; 18 June 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: for spleling ;)
Old 18 June 2012, 01:36 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
I have a 3" decat trubo back, to jap style angled back box.

I LOVE the way it looks. But after a month, I've decided its just too loud for me.

I'm wondering has anyone ever come across a jap style aangled back box that is quiet?
Yes there is one that is a full 3' with a jap styled angle exit and is extremelly well made. It is a Fujistsubo Legalis R which is also track day friendly .It is quite subtle on tickover but a nice roar when giving it some.My mate has just taken one off his car for a blitz its up for sale for £120 , and it is a 1 piece system in vgc .Here a link to the site:
http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/english/legalis_r.html

Name:  5c797faa.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  101.5 KB
Old 18 June 2012, 01:55 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
Yes there is one that is a full 3' with a jap styled angle exit and is extremelly well made. It is a Fujistsubo Legalis R which is also track day friendly .It is quite subtle on tickover but a nice roar when giving it some.My mate has just taken one off his car for a blitz its up for sale for £120 , and it is a 1 piece system in vgc .Here a link to the site:
http://www.fujitsubo.co.jp/english/legalis_r.html

Wow, if this fits my bugeye, i'm really interested in it. PM sent buddy
Old 18 June 2012, 02:10 PM
Micheru
Scooby Regular

I've got two resonators on my Kakimoto centre section, they seem to "tune" the sound rather than make it quieter as the name implies, I can hear a clacking echo at certain revs when it's in tune with my music. That Fujitsubo one doesn't look quiet
Old 18 June 2012, 02:35 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Micheru
I've got two resonators on my Kakimoto centre section, they seem to "tune" the sound rather than make it quieter as the name implies, I can hear a clacking echo at certain revs when it's in tune with my music. That Fujitsubo one doesn't look quiet
Hi, the Fujistsubo Legalis R website says that their exhausts are designed to be quiet. Its a shame i couldnt hear it before it was taken off. Think i'll search youtube, and see if anyone has a video of it in use.

Cheers
Old 19 June 2012, 04:23 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Micheru
Believe me pal I have had 17different exhaust over the last 2 yrs from prodrive to blitz with several others along the way and this is quiet and JASMA Approved(Japanese automotive systems muffler association) which means it is track day friendly . The only other 3' exhaust I have heard that is quieter than this one if the fujitsubo giken,which I sold 3 weeks ago,which was no louder than a std prodrive backbox .

Name:  5b6b84f8.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  127.4 KB
Old 19 June 2012, 04:29 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
Hi, the Fujistsubo Legalis R website says that their exhausts are designed to be quiet. Its a shame i couldnt hear it before it was taken off. Think i'll search youtube, and see if anyone has a video of it in use.

Cheers
No need ,you have pm

Old 19 June 2012, 09:34 AM
Micheru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
Believe me pal I have had 17different exhaust over the last 2 yrs from prodrive to blitz with several others along the way and this is quiet and JASMA Approved(Japanese automotive systems muffler association) which means it is track day friendly . The only other 3' exhaust I have heard that is quieter than this one if the fujitsubo giken,which I sold 3 weeks ago,which was no louder than a std prodrive backbox .
I believe you, I know the Fujitsubo are quieter than most. The other picture just doesn't *look* like it would be quiet

I've had mine on for the best part of a year and the howl is nice above 3.5k revs but at cruising speeds the drone is a nuisance. It doesn't annoy me enough to swap though, not yet anyway.
Old 19 June 2012, 10:02 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

my jap angled box was quiet PRIOR to decatting.