Notices

Totally new to scoobys!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2012, 05:02 PM
Rooty
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Totally new to scoobys!!

Hi, I have spent days reading this forum as a guest but I cannot seem to find the answers i need???

Firstly I have just bought a 2000 bugeye wrx that needs a lot of love, I like tinkering, it keeps me outta the pub & I like that "I did it" feeling you don't get from buying a pre modded car.

I see you pretty much all recommend buying an STI & working from there but I don't have STI money, I do however have spare cash in dribs & drabs so I can do up this WRX I'm not looking for big BHP too many points on my license & insurance is already £1470...

So major mechanical faults...

1) Air leaks pretty much everywhere & much spitting out of vacuum/induction hoses so I was thinking upgrade to silicone hoses all round eliminating all the leaks & making sure they are all in the right place as some are definitely guessed at!

Japspeed seem to be the recommended type for £££'s vs quality (I have been quoted £650 ish for a full set of samco's for everything inc rad & turbo hosing... I'm hoping japspeed could save a few quid here?) is this still the recommended aftermarket manufacturer?

2) Boost pipe from turbo to waste gate is missing "bullet" & no longer tee's & goes to the solenoid instead there is a MBC there instead.

3) Seems to over boost & shut down for a second around 3500-4750rpm randomly in 4th & 5th. I tee'd into vacuum pipe between turbo & waste gate actuator & fitted a boost gauge yesterday it is running 0.9bar max

Bodywork wise its nice from afar but far from nice... that is going to have to wait until the engine is safe though, I don't want to have to rebuild it!

Most importantly though the brakes don't inspire confidence, I thought maybe just from where it had been sitting but on closer inspection new disks would not be a waste of money, so any recommendations bearing in mind when I have it put right I will be collecting the upgrades to make her a safe 270-280 bhp car during the summer.
Old 30 May 2012, 05:12 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Hello mate and welcome. Seems like you got your work cut out there alright. Just to bring back up to fully working order. If you decide to make it all good yourself, you ll find the right help here.

There will be others who might suggest find a better condition base car in the first place. There is certainly nothing wrong with a WRX with a few tweeks if the STI insurance etc is out of budget.
Old 30 May 2012, 05:43 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

welcome mate
must run like a pig?
as for pipes hoses eclipse performance stuff is very good i got a turbo intake pipe and it doesnt close under boost lik cheap ebay stuff ect.there a trader on here .They will cost quarter of what u said for sure.

brakes dont spend to much on brake disc and pads buy used sti brembo calipers disc s and pads for like 300 odd quid.

try not to boost to much till u get that sorted sounds like a fuel cut

get exhaust ,downpipe ,filter,fmic or sti top mount perfect for u really, then get her mapped jolly green monster is your man great guy knows everything subaru and mobile so can come to u ect hope this helps
Old 30 May 2012, 06:06 PM
Rooty
Scooby Newbie

Erm... What is a "fmic or sti top mount?" is that a bigger intercooler? it has a bigger than standard one but i haven't tried to identify it yet :-)

Does jolly green monster work in the Essex area? I'm right on the east coast

Suprisingly it runs well apart from the 4th/5th boost cut out problem... I'm trying my hardest not boost it but it sounds so good.... I just have to grin like an idiot & shake my head when I get well set up examples teasing me
Old 30 May 2012, 06:10 PM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

fmic= front mount inter cooler and the sti top mount is a bigger intercooler than the standard wrx intercooler
Old 30 May 2012, 06:20 PM
Rooty
Scooby Newbie

Is fmic worth doing for a 50 bhp upgrade? The top mount there is bigger as it doesn't fit on the standard mounting brackets & the radiator has been upgraded to aluminium one by the looks of it
Old 30 May 2012, 06:22 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rooty
Erm... What is a "fmic or sti top mount?" is that a bigger intercooler? it has a bigger than standard one but i haven't tried to identify it yet :-)

Does jolly green monster work in the Essex area? I'm right on the east coast

Suprisingly it runs well apart from the 4th/5th boost cut out problem... I'm trying my hardest not boost it but it sounds so good.... I just have to grin like an idiot & shake my head when I get well set up examples teasing me
You want to get in touch with essexdon he will help you get into the club scene in your area send him a private message, pm.
Old 30 May 2012, 06:25 PM
Rooty
Scooby Newbie

Ok thanks for the info guys.

I looked at the manuals here & can't seem to find one for my model, are all the vacuum/boost pipes in the same place on all of the wrx's?
Old 30 May 2012, 07:34 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

yea jolly green monster goes all other the place. i believe he may live in the kent area. stick a pic up of the intercooler through photobucket. it wont just give u 50bhp sticking it on u will have to have map along with exhaust, decat , filter panel filter if with top mount, cone filter if gonna fmic option. might be worth taking car down to essex scoobys if there still down there get them check everything wont take long to see what your splutter.

yea all pipe s should be roughly same mate on all models
Old 30 May 2012, 07:50 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

imho a fmic would be a total waste of cash, std wrx is good for 300ish, sti tmic is good for 400ish, i would put your cash somewhere else if i were you mate.

good luck with the work chap, how about putting up some before and after pics
Old 30 May 2012, 07:51 PM
Rooty
Scooby Newbie

Sorry mate I'm not that dense that I wrote that badly... I meant if I'm only looking to push the power up 50 bhp is a fmic necessary? It has got an induction kit fitted & a stainless exhaust but standard up pipe/first cat after turbo.

Gotta do these coolant/vacuum/induction pipes asap i'm sure some are wrong! I cant seem to find a simple schematic, just bits & pieces so its going to take a few hours, looks like the inlet manifold has to come off to change one of the water pipes from the header tank to the block

I'll do some pics that is a good idea!

Last edited by Rooty; 30 May 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 30 May 2012, 07:59 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

ive got the complete wrx manual on pdf at work, but its about 60mb ish.. if you want it let me know and i can pop it on a disk and send you a copy
Old 30 May 2012, 08:21 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

see wont cost alot at all to get to your goals. get a decat downpipe big difference japspeed got them on here for very good value .
Old 30 May 2012, 08:34 PM
Rooty
Scooby Newbie

That would help me right out mate, I can give it a thorough work over if i know how it is supposed to look! Do you want me to send you a disk or anything??

From what I have read from you fellas that have done several projects my best approach is get everything working as it should & fit up the new brakes & hoses when i source them. Buy de cat pipe, up-rated intercooler, make sure the induction kit & the exhaust are any good but don't fit the new bits until i have cash for a re-map then fit them & re-map at the same time i understand?
Old 30 May 2012, 08:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Might be an idea to get rid of the induction kit: they can strangle the engine unless they are VERY good, which usually means very expensive

Go back to the OE airbox and panel filter.

As far as brakes are concerned, yes, look for some newage Brembos, but you'll need STi 17" wheels to go over them.
Alternatively, drop a PM or an email to Ian Godney at Godspeed for sound advice on brakes.
Old 30 May 2012, 08:37 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

haha no disk needed ta, i own a computer company so got a few spare ones lying arround..

pm me your address aand i will post tomorrow chap
Old 30 May 2012, 08:54 PM
Rooty
Scooby Newbie

I'll get a pic of the induction kit on here tomorrow, if its no good I guess a standard air box will be easy to source, I found a good breakers in Norwich he had lots of gear there but he wanted £450 for the gold brembo's he has on the work bench, steep I thought?
It's on 17's not sti ones though will that matter?

Last edited by Rooty; 30 May 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:37 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

You say it has a manual boost control. Get that thrown in the bin straight away and plumb the pipework as it should be. Then get it mapped properly, it sounds as though someone has fitted the exhaust, air filter and MBC but not got it mapped so could risk blowing the engine.
Old 31 May 2012, 11:06 AM
Tech@PFC
Charlie From PFC

Default PF Brakes

Hello Rooty,
We produce very high quality 2-peice discs to fit your standard front calipers that were originally developed for Group N Rallying.

https://www.scoobynet.com/trader-ann...ion-discs.html

We also do high performance pads to go with them and can throw in some of our RH665 race fluid to get your braking system well sorted.

Our products are very high end so they're not cheap but will certainly give you the performance and confidence your after. If you would like pricing or any other info please PM, email or call me.

Regards,
Charlie
Old 31 May 2012, 11:43 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Replace your vacuum pipes with some good quality pipes I got mine from here http://racebikebitz.com/Universal-Sa...ne-Vacuum-Hose. Get the correct little pea that goes into one of the pipes and ditch the MBC.
Old 05 June 2012, 09:21 PM
Rooty
Scooby Newbie

Sorry for the slooooow reply but it took me some time to check all the pipes etc on my wrx!

Found a load that were connected wrong on the front of the inlet manifold where the solenoid is. There is a little round thing that has an arrow, I wasnt sure which way that should face so I pointed it toward the air intake pipe is that right?

I also stripped out the bad piping between the turbo & waste gate actuator & took the MBC out, here is where i hit the next glitch!.....

Right so between the turbo & the Tee for the 2 port solenoid (that is now re plummed in) there should be a "Restrictor pill" with a 0.5 hole in it but this is missing... Are these easy to source?

I also fitted a lamco boost gauge checked how it boosts it was 0.9 bar with MBC in place. Now I have put everything back to stock with the help of [B][U]MADMERLIN lending me a manual it boosts 0.5 bar but the needle jumps around while its boosting on WOT & it is loads slower now.

I tee'd into the pipe between solenoid & waste gate is this the right place? it never goes below zero though but i notice on youtube other peoples do so have i fooked something up or is it faulty?