Notices

Driverside door handle removal?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2012, 03:17 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driverside door handle removal?

Guy's my missus has managed to snap the door handle on the driverside. Just been to the breakers and picked one up off the shelf. Can somebody give me a step by step for removing the old one from after the panel is off as I know how to do that. I tend to break stuff like this when I'm chimpimg it without knowlege.
The cars a 98 wagon. V4
Old 05 May 2012, 04:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Dead easy. Pull back ther plastic sheet covering the inner door, I usually put something like ripped up plastic bag strips on the sticky stuff on the door, or it gets everywhere, plus it's wasted.

Now, looking inside, you will see a rod coming from the door inner handle to the outer handle. It turns through 90 degrees neer it's outer end and passes through a plastic bush which is held in place by another sliding plastic bit. easy to see rather than describe.

Release the plastic and slide the rod out of it's outer housing.

Now undo the two bolts, iirc they are 10mm, remove them and finally lift and work the handle out of the door.

Recover the plastic bit it sits in and refit it to the new handle.

DO NOT worry if the bolts won't undo. Just turn them repeatedly while PULLING the handle outwards. This will pull their metal inserts out of the plastic handle. Use new bolts to refit, plenty of grease on the threads.

Refit the operating rod and it's retaining part, and replace the plastic sheet.
Old 05 May 2012, 04:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Dead easy. Pull back ther plastic sheet covering the inner door, I usually put something like ripped up plastic bag strips on the sticky stuff on the door, or it gets everywhere, plus it's wasted.

Now, looking inside, you will see a rod coming from the door inner handle to the outer handle. It turns through 90 degrees neer it's outer end and passes through a plastic bush which is held in place by another sliding plastic bit. easy to see rather than describe.

Now undo the two bolts, iirc they are 10mm, remove them and finally lift and work the handle out of the door.

DO NOT worry if the bolts won't undo. Just turn them repeatedly while PULLING the handle outwards. This will pull their metal inserts out of the plastic handle. Use new bolts to refit, plenty of grease on the threads.

Old 05 May 2012, 04:39 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar

Mate can't thank you enough for that little guide. Cheers Fella hope others find it useful.