Notices

260 bhp on a td04 without remap?

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2012, 11:10 AM
skylinelee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 260 bhp on a td04 without remap?

Hi all
I'm trying to find out if I have a ecutek license on my ecu? I have RR sheets for 260 from Prosport in stockport and an earlier sheet for 240 from Scoobyclinic. Can these figures be got without a remap? Car is a 99 UK Turbo, has no boost controller or boost gauge so I can't tell what boost it is running. When I got the car it had only middle section and rear box changed and a Fmic, apexi cone filter and dump valve....(urghhhhh).
I've fit a full turbo back decat system,TD05,stainless up pipe and headers all wrapped, walbro. Just wanted to know if I had a license before I get it remapped as there's a couple of ecu's with license for sale on the bay and on here...
Oh yeh where is jolly Green Monster based? Got chance of an ecu he's already mapped at a great price, can't get in his site as it just shows a green page on me Ipad..
Thanks for any help
Lee
Old 26 April 2012, 11:20 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what its worth I have seen another blob wrx with similar power without a remap, we have yet to get to the bottom of why as JGM checked the map and said it was standard. Havent looked under the bonnet yet.
Old 26 April 2012, 11:38 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

The standard ecu will support fuelling to 1.25bar on the MY99 iirc. More boost than this will activate the fuel cut, so as long as you're not hitting the fuel cut then the car should be okay. In terms of power this can be up to 280 bhp on well set up cars. Whilst mapping has it's place, for minor bolt on bits and a small boost hike mapping shouldn't be necessary. However don't expect a mapper to tell you this.

Last edited by Maz; 26 April 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 26 April 2012, 12:12 PM
skylinelee
Scooby Regular

Hi mate
Thanks for the reply....
In terms of boost, to get 260 would it need a boost increase? Just as there is no boost controller , electrical or a manual one.... Does that make sense....? Think I shud wire my gauges in and see what's happening...? Is there anything visually in the ecu to show me it has a license or not ?
Cheers
Lee
Old 26 April 2012, 12:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
The standard ecu will support fuelling to 1.25bar on the MY99 iirc. More boost than this will activate the fuel cut, so as long as you're not hitting the fuel cut then the car should be okay. In terms of power this can be up to 280 bhp on well set up cars. Whilst mapping has it's place, for minor bolt on bits and a small boost hike mapping shouldn't be necessary. However don't expect a mapper to tell you this.
For a change in turbo you need a map straight away so wouldn't call that a minor bolt on. Also some cars struggle to control boost with just a decat, let alone with headers and other bits as mentioned, so theres no hard and fast rule. Also how do you up the boost without mapping? manual bost controllers are risky at best. No gaurenty that the fueling stays where it should be when you up the boost so will need checking at least.

mine ran 240 mapped with partial decat, then 260 mapped with full decat. Standard it will be 215 so a hike of 45 is more than just an exhaust. I expect it has been mapped, only way is to get a mapper to check, he shoudl be able to tell if it has already been.
Old 26 April 2012, 12:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by skylinelee
Hi mate
Thanks for the reply....
In terms of boost, to get 260 would it need a boost increase? Just as there is no boost controller , electrical or a manual one.... Does that make sense....? Think I shud wire my gauges in and see what's happening...? Is there anything visually in the ecu to show me it has a license or not ?
Cheers
Lee
yes, to hit 260 boost will be change
Old 26 April 2012, 12:38 PM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

physically check the ecu I guess for a sticker on the outer grey plug and/or case with writing or marker pen. Maybe a previous owner or mappers written if its open license or not, I assume there isn't a receipt in the file. Also check its not got a PPP ecu as this might explain it, I think its a pink sticker with STI SP on it. The standard uk ecu is an E3 black or red label I think.

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2012, 12:42 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Quite some time back my perfectly standard 2006 Hawk WRX (Not PPP) with its standard un-mapped TD04L turbo made 253bhp on the rollers.
Old 26 April 2012, 12:54 PM
RICK...
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't Scoobyclinic/prosport have the paperwork to say it has a license?

Mine was re-mapped by scoobyclinic to 263, thats just with exhaust and DV on a td04 running at 1 bar. SC knew everything about my car when I called.
Old 26 April 2012, 01:24 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

my last scoob a 97 uk turbo made 260 with hks headers/decat system,walbro,industion kit and new age intercoler with all standard map/boost etc.ran absolutely spot on for 50bhp increase.
Old 26 April 2012, 04:32 PM
skylinelee
Scooby Regular

Just been in the garage and pulled the ECU apart and there is nothing any different, no writing... Nothing... Is there anywhere I can take it to have it plugged in and they tell me if there's a license or not on it? Pref in yorkshire if poss?
Lee
Old 26 April 2012, 04:32 PM
skylinelee
Scooby Regular

Just been in the garage and pulled the ECU apart and there is nothing any different, no writing... Nothing... Is there anywhere I can take it to have it plugged in and they tell me if there's a license or not on it? Pref in yorkshire if poss?
Lee
Old 26 April 2012, 10:15 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all
I'm trying to find out if I have a ecutek license on my ecu? I have RR sheets for 260 from Prosport in stockport and an earlier sheet for 240 from Scoobyclinic. Can these figures be got without a remap? Car is a 99 UK Turbo, has no boost controller or boost gauge so I can't tell what boost it is running. When I got the car it had only middle section and rear box changed and a Fmic, apexi cone filter and dump valve....(urghhhhh).
I've fit a full turbo back decat system,TD05,stainless up pipe and headers all wrapped, walbro. Just wanted to know if I had a license before I get it remapped as there's a couple of ecu's with license for sale on the bay and on here...
Oh yeh where is jolly Green Monster based? Got chance of an ecu he's already mapped at a great price, can't get in his site as it just shows a green page on me Ipad..
Thanks for any help
Lee
its possible.. depending on mods fitted.

I am in the south east but travel all over. Midlands and higher every two weeks.

I need to update website and sort it so it works on apple, sorry.

Simon
Old 27 April 2012, 11:20 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Lee
Give Richard Henry a call, they're not far from you and should be able to help. Ask for Andy.