Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2012, 08:53 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 6 speed gearbox costs

Hello
I
Have a 1999 classic turbo and am wanting to upgrade the gearbox this seems to be a pretty straight forward choice between the updated gear kit by scoobyclinic or a six speeder. From chatting to Kev as my quest is for speed rather than acceleration he recommended the 6 speeder. My question is what are the costs of buying all the kit and which one to go for ie dccd jdm etc and how much roughly do they cost to fit ? Hope you guys can help
Cheers
Kris
Old 06 April 2012, 10:33 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Whats the limit in Jersey?!
Old 06 April 2012, 10:39 PM
Neil..
Scooby Regular

If your car is a uk model, then the cheapest option is to buy a non dccd uk 6 speed box from a pre 2005 sti, along with the linkage, cradle and propshaft.

The conversion is straight forward and should take a few hours.

Dccd boxes demand more money, and depending on model can require the matching rear diff, which can then lead to rear shafts, hubs and brakes to be changed which then starts to become expensive.
Old 06 April 2012, 11:08 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BHPvstorque
Hello
I
Have a 1999 classic turbo and am wanting to upgrade the gearbox this seems to be a pretty straight forward choice between the updated gear kit by scoobyclinic or a six speeder. From chatting to Kev as my quest is for speed rather than acceleration he recommended the 6 speeder. My question is what are the costs of buying all the kit and which one to go for ie dccd jdm etc and how much roughly do they cost to fit ? Hope you guys can help
Cheers
Kris
I was charged £787 labour for fitting a jdm non dccd six speed conversion (gearbox,prop,diff, rear hubs and reardrive shafts) for my newage 5speed, that was inclusive of vat @20% + any fluids. As always the difficulty was getting the old stuff off which involved quite a bit of heating up to loosen seized fastenings.
Japperformanceparts, Crawley, West Sussex do jdm conversion packages and are well worth an enquiry/quote but of course the vat stings over buying privately. The jdm 5/6th gearing is shorter than UK V7/V8 and for comparison I'm running about 500rpm more in 6th at 70mph than in top on my original 5 speed.
Trev
Old 09 April 2012, 03:15 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Hello
The reason for the change is my dad and I are off to the Nurburgring next year and he has a 2002 Porsche 911 with 360bhp at the mo I am only running roughly 300 so need to play catch up. My aim is speed rather than acceleration so 6 speeder looks like the better option ! The speed limit over here is 40 ha ha but my parent have a place in France they sold up over here bought a flat for over here and a house over there so plenty of cheap hold ha ha
Got a sc50 to fit to my 2004 Sti bottom end and avcs heads oh and need to decide between syvecs and simtec but with cost spiralling may be a second hand simtec. Got to save like buggery till march next year then fit the lot fingers crossed can save 5-6k should cover it I hope ! Anyways what gearing wise is better for top end and speed etc?
Old 09 April 2012, 04:07 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

I've never tried it but I would expect a good 10-15mph top speed loss JDM from UK with the JDM accelerating harder through 5th and 6th.
Trev
Old 09 April 2012, 05:46 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Hello
So 10-15 mph less than a 5 speeder ? I get the impression that I need to change from a 5 to a 6 as want to get nearer to 170mph and don't think a 5 would get me there ? Kev at scoobyclinic last time I heard had a max of 167mph and that was a 5 speeder. But he had amazing acceleration figures. As most scoobies are quick low down my aim is more top end so I can keep up with my dad ha ha as his top end is 175mph don't want to be left gasping ha ha
Old 09 April 2012, 06:31 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

the JDM V7/8 sixspeed box has shorter ratio 6th than UK five or sixspeed, so yes you need the UK six speed to max topspeed.
Trev
Old 09 April 2012, 06:39 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BHPvstorque
Hello
The reason for the change is my dad and I are off to the Nurburgring next year and he has a 2002 Porsche 911 with 360bhp at the mo I am only running roughly 300 so need to play catch up. My aim is speed rather than acceleration so 6 speeder looks like the better option ! The speed limit over here is 40 ha ha but my parent have a place in France they sold up over here bought a flat for over here and a house over there so plenty of cheap hold ha ha
Got a sc50 to fit to my 2004 Sti bottom end and avcs heads oh and need to decide between syvecs and simtec but with cost spiralling may be a second hand simtec. Got to save like buggery till march next year then fit the lot fingers crossed can save 5-6k should cover it I hope ! Anyways what gearing wise is better for top end and speed etc?
If you go with avcs heads on your classic and a simtek you will need the simtek modding to run avcs heads , unless you buy mine its in the for sale bit
Old 09 April 2012, 07:43 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a simtek for sale here on 22B, that came from an MY99 running AVCS heads - might be just what you're looking for