Notices

Big shout out! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2012, 05:33 AM
spartagates
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big shout out! Please help!

OK, Thanks for taking time to look at the thread. It's a bit of a long story; so I'll begin..

Over three weeks ago my scooby (2001 bugeye wrx - no mods known other than a BOV not fitted by me) would not rev past 5k rpm. On hitting this the engine would mis-fire, splutter. The car had a tank of supermarket **** just as this happened (I'm being honest here, lets all not pretend we have never been caught short here!) so I gave her a full tank of v-power and hoped...

Needless to say, this did not cut it. Lack of boost and nothing past 5k. On a long journey, got a load of cut out, full loss of power so had to call rescue service. Major left in the lurch by the Post Office who told me me fully covered for breakdown when not- £393 to get the car home check your recovery ppl!!!!

So £400 quid down and a car that loses power randomly.

I checked the ecu for codes and it said misfires on all four cylinders.

I changed the plugs (zomg they are *******s to do!) but no dice. When ran hard still nothing past 5k rpm. Also got a new error code of high temp on the up pipe. Maybe a goosed cat on the up pipe?

At this point, I handed the car over to my local Subaru garage in Ashkirk (Scottish Borders) where Douggie has been amazing. As it stands, Douggie has changed the MAF, changed the turbo; changed the up pipe; changed the inter-cooler and now has another ecu to try that I sourced for him and has quoted me zero labour as he has not found the fault. This chap is a gent. I'm driving his twin turbo legacy atm as a coutesy car. I can only shovel heaps of praise his way. So is there anything else that could be causing this limit to 5k? Speedo is working fine and the only other thing I have heard of is the neutral position switch?

John
Old 05 April 2012, 10:00 AM
spartagates
Scooby Regular

I'm shocked no one has bitten with even a "new engine".... surely someone has seen this fault before?
Old 05 April 2012, 11:09 AM
Flyinspanner
Scooby Regular

Is the exhaust blocked? maybe the backbox, sound deadening material blocks pipe and strangles the engine. ???

wil it run with exhuast disconnected?

Last edited by Flyinspanner; 05 April 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06 April 2012, 08:20 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

This sounds like an electrical fault. Have you tried a different battery? checked the alternator output and engine earths?