z4 ecus

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2012, 04:34 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z4 ecus

These are limted right?

How comes my mate who has a uk turbo 2000 with a z4 that has not been mapped is not limited??. He is also using an electronic speedo as it is a uk model.

My jap wrx also has a z4 ecu but i have a mechanical speedo and to get round the limiter i have a convertor that also converts to mph.

He has another scooby and he has said i can have his speedo as mine is not functioning correctly.

But if i put his electronic speedo into my car and plug the other end into the gearbox am i now gonna get the limit back on my car. ?

Its all really confusing as i thought the z4's were limited and to remove would need a piggy back chip and be remapped.

His ecu is completly standard! but no limit with an electronic speedo .

Could the speedo have some sort of delimter built into it?
Old 19 March 2012, 04:43 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of interest what year is your mates car? I have a spare cable operated speedo if you need a replacement.
Old 19 March 2012, 04:49 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

both are 1995 And his new shell has a cable operated speedo also but we are not sure if when we connect that one up will the limiter now be active as from what ive read they are all limited what wea re really trying get our heads round is where his car is delimted from as usually on the manual driven speedos you have a convertor that just tricks the speedo and doesnt actually remove the limit but just moves it. but if you have an elctronic speed like he does in the uk version it would need to be remapped but we have had his ecu apart and is not chipped and from what i could tell has never even been opened before.
Old 19 March 2012, 05:09 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

You sure he has a z4 on his UK? Z4's are early Jap ecus and shouldn't be put on uk cars.
Old 19 March 2012, 05:15 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Definatley z4 ecu as it was put in to run the td05 turbo he has
Old 19 March 2012, 05:23 PM
mnem1c
Scooby Regular

What else did he change? injectors, maf.....
Old 19 March 2012, 05:25 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

full exhuast system, maf, fuel pump and injectors but none of these would remove the limiter
Old 20 March 2012, 10:09 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

1. Will putting a z4 ecu into a uk car restrict it 112mph?

2.how do you remove this restriction when you have an electronic speedo.
Old 20 March 2012, 01:28 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Are you sure he hasn't just had a chip put in the ECU?

Major_Sarcasm (amongst others) sells (sold) chips for -96 UK (and import) classics which upgrades the ECU to Z4 and removes any limiters on the ECU. It also maps the car for 97 ron UK fuel, improves off boost economy and raises boost to @14 psi iirc

UK Classics -96 saloons came with a TD05 Standard, so you don't even need a Z4 to use a TD05 on those. If it is a later car then I don't know the mixes
Old 20 March 2012, 07:32 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

ok but where the chip usually goes in the left top corner ther is no chip cant see any obvious signs of this box ever being opened before (im an electronics engineer and can usually tell when someone been pokin about)

SO....
This tells me its not 'chipped'

As far as i know it no uk car came with a z4 ecu as standard or uprated they are japanese ecu.

As far as i know a z4 is limited.

So my question still stands How is his car able to go over the limit with an electronic driven speedo
Old 20 March 2012, 07:57 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

I thought the UK2000 had a 3 plug ECU, and the Z4 has a 4plug so won`t work??
Old 20 March 2012, 08:07 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Donsjapwrx
ok but where the chip usually goes in the left top corner ther is no chip cant see any obvious signs of this box ever being opened before (im an electronics engineer and can usually tell when someone been pokin about)

SO....
This tells me its not 'chipped'

As far as i know it no uk car came with a z4 ecu as standard or uprated they are japanese ecu.
You are quite correct. No UK car came with a Z4, and the standard Z4 ROM image has a speed limiter in it.

As ever there can be many reasons for it being delimited. A couple of possibilities:

1. The ECU is a non-Z4 ecu in a Z4 case. Check the blue label on the yellow connector matches the serial number on the case.

2. There are electronic delimiters. The P1, for example, was fitted with an electronic delimiter. The vehicle speed signal is a pulse train with frequency proportional to the speed. The P1 delimiter detects when the frequency goes above a threshold, and then passes a fixed frequency to the ECU.

Of course, there could be another reason that I haven't thought of yet...
Old 20 March 2012, 08:30 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

ok will check the serials tomorrow on the case and board, it really confuses me i understand that my car is not actually delimited it just thinks its limit is just higher i just cant figure out hows his is delimted lol
also i thought the p1 was a uk only model anyway so in theory it wouldn't be limited to 112 mph,
Old 20 March 2012, 08:59 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Donsjapwrx
also i thought the p1 was a uk only model anyway so in theory it wouldn't be limited to 112 mph,
The P1 isn't limited to 112mph because it has an electronic delimiter

The P1 is basically an JDM STi 5 type R with an STi 5 drivetrain (no DCCD, different ratios). Its ECU is based on the STi 5 ecu with the speed limiter included. Strangely, rather than modify the speed limit parameter in the P1 ecu, a single parameter change within the ECU software, they added a kludge - the electronic delimiter box.
Old 20 March 2012, 09:14 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

that make sense now lol thanks
Old 21 March 2012, 07:13 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From my understanding of the Z4 ecu and 1995 cars

They are limited to 180 kph,the important figure here is the 180.

You cannot remove this, but you can make it unachievable, hence fitting the mph convertor, you have now in effect made the limiter 180 mph,which i dont know any 1995 scoob could reach LOL

so basically, the 1995 cable operated setup is to fit the mph convertor and "move" the limiter to 180 mph
Old 22 March 2012, 06:03 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimbob
I thought the UK2000 had a 3 plug ECU, and the Z4 has a 4plug so won`t work??
Not correct, early classics up to 1998 had a [B]4 plug[B] ecu iirc & yes you can plug a z4 into a uk and it will run. Later classics had 3 plug ecu s.
Old 22 March 2012, 09:47 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Ok guys i know that my jap wrx with a z4 and cable operated speedo is STILL LIMITED all i have done is move the make the ecu think the limit is higher than it is by using a speedo converter i know this and have stated this throughout

What i want to know is how a uk car with a z4 ecu and Electronic speedo is not limited no visible signs of chip on the ecu board the board matches the serial of the case so it a z4 ecu in a z4 case. And have looked for the little box that the p1s have and none to be found btw we have the whole wiring loom visible as we are stripping the car.
Old 22 March 2012, 10:16 AM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Hmm! Certainly is an odd one.

The next step I would suggest (if you're really that interested, lol) would be to plug it into another UK turbo 2000 and see if it limits that car. That would allow you to determine whether it is something inside the ECU or on the car that is removing the speed limiter.

Ideally do this while monitoring the ECU vehicle speed reading. You can do this either with something like evoscan or a homebrew comms setup as found at vwrx.com.

Of course that is a lot of effort to figure out something that may not be that important!
Old 22 March 2012, 06:33 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

so to clear this a bit, you have a z4, fitted an inline convertor so you read in mph and still hit the limiter at 112 mph or 180 on the clocks ?

does your speedo needle hit 180 still and then hit the limiter, or does it hit 112 mph and hit the limiter ?
Old 22 March 2012, 06:38 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

no my cars is fine its limit is now higher and works fine right up to 140 u r right i have a z4 ecu and a inline converter i can see and understand how this works

UK TURBO 2000 with a Z4 ecu and Electronic speedo (ie not cable driven) no delimter box like the p1 and ecu not chipped or mapped and confirmed the z4 case has a z4 ecu mainboard confirmed by serials. AND IT HAS NO LIMIT HOW? that is my question
Old 22 March 2012, 07:23 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Id say one of these, does the same job as the mechanical one.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...ht_1754wt_1185
Old 22 March 2012, 09:19 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

i think people are missing the comparison, a uk car and an import

the restriction on an import is not on the ecu, its within the dials itself, so ignore it having a z4

basically, the uk car IS NOT LIMITED LIKE A JAPANESE CAR, so you can fit any ecu (as an example) from a jap car and it wont make it limited, its within the clocks/dials

fit a mechanical set of clocks from a uk model (1995) to an import and you get an unrestricted car also

That link above is to fit to an IMPORT that has electronic dials

Last edited by The Rig; 22 March 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 22 March 2012, 09:28 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
i think people are missing the comparison, a uk car and an import

the restriction on an import is not on the ecu, its within the dials itself, so ignore it having a z4

basically, the uk car IS NOT LIMITED LIKE A JAPANESE CAR, so you can fit any ecu (as an example) from a jap car and it wont make it limited, its within the clocks/dials

fit a mechanical set of clocks from a uk model (1995) to an import and you get an unrestricted car also

That link above is to fit to an IMPORT that has electronic dials
Thanks for clearing this up this is exactly what i asked in the original post
"Could the speedo have some sort of delimter built into it?"

Thanks !
Old 22 March 2012, 09:46 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

No problem.

i too have a 95 wrx and went thru this at the beginning

i fitted a 7D ECU to my wrx (a uk turbo ECU) and i still had the limiter at 112/180 so i knew then it wasnt in the ECU (i didnt fit the ecu for that reason, long story)

from what i found out,my memory is crap, in the dials is a capacitor or (i forget the proper name) that cuts the coils i think it is, hence the coughing and spluttering at 112/180 you can actually sit on the restrictor and drive along, you dont slow down, just stay at 112/180 all day long if you wanted

my friends import mx5 was the same
Old 22 March 2012, 11:27 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Ermmm... no.

The speed limiter is in the ECU. It's a staged fuel cut triggered by three speed settings inside the ECU. Not the clocks.
Old 23 March 2012, 12:50 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sprint Chief
Ermmm... no.

The speed limiter is in the ECU. It's a staged fuel cut triggered by three speed settings inside the ECU. Not the clocks.
well,i`m only speaking on the 1995 models, we have 2 setups that say different in this thread.

myself, i fitted a uk 7D ecu to my wrx, still had restrictor in place, yet the 7D isnt restricted (uk model)

and the o/p who has put a z4 into a 1995 uk model and also doesnt have the restrictor (uk clocks fitted)

Now, im not saying your wrong, but i`m only going by what i have tried and found out and also what i read about the clocks.

In harry hill fashion, theres only 1 way to sort this out.......

Get a definative answer once and for all LOL
Old 23 March 2012, 08:44 AM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

well,i`m only speaking on the 1995 models, we have 2 setups that say different in this thread.

myself, i fitted a uk 7D ecu to my wrx, still had restrictor in place, yet the 7D isnt restricted (uk model)
I've had cars with both these setups (96 turbo 2000 with electronic speedo and 95 v2 STi with cable), and reprogrammed ECUs myself and I could set a 30mph speed limit or derestrict purely through changing parameters in the ECU. I am 100% confident the speed limiting fuel cut is in the ECU for these cars.

In harry hill fashion, theres only 1 way to sort this out.......
FFFIiiiIIIIIiiiGGGGGhhhhhhtttTTT!!! Lol
Old 25 September 2018, 07:26 PM
Rick2017
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midnight
Not correct, early classics up to 1998 had a [B]4 plug[B] ecu iirc & yes you can plug a z4 into a uk and it will run. Later classics had 3 plug ecu s.
on my 8s ecu mine is a 3 plug set up ,what is strange is I have a redundant plug tapped to one side I don't no what it's for