Notices

Bugeye excessive road noise

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2012, 01:09 PM
benmic92
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye excessive road noise

Hi, first let me start by saying its probabily normal and just me.

i have previously had 2 imprezas the last of which i sold in 2009 both had loud exhaust systems and Toyo Proxies T1-R tyres. My previous car for the last year has been a 2002 Lexus IS200 which was uber quiet and boring and dull ect hence the selling it

2 weeks ago i bought a completely standard Bugeye Impreza WRX even down to the twin pea shooters at the back and there seems to be a fair bit of whining thats difficult to pinpoint, sounds to me like either tyre noise or diff whine or wheel bearing noise none of which i actually know what they sound like but from what i'd imagine.

I notice first the tyres are all Mismatched and no 2 tyre are the same so this is always a starting point.

I had the Scooby gods over at Scoobyworld yesterday to replace the Diff/gearbox oil and give it a general once over and they didnt find anything wrong (apart from a few missing bolts and idle valve but thats definetly not it)

my question is this:-

as this is my first standard scooby is there a fair bit of road noise usually on these cars and is it just me comparing it to the lexus or does it sound as there may actually be something wrong.
Old 07 March 2012, 01:13 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

It could just be the tyres which are causing the road noise, however if it is "whining" then the gearbox does make a distinct sound but this isnt excessively noisy and i put it down to the AWD system, my previous Impreza was the same.

Secondly, nice looking bug in your sig - did you buy it from manchester way? I have only had mine 2 weeks also and it looks like on i has seen on AT
Old 07 March 2012, 01:17 PM
benmic92
Scooby Regular

yes that was the one, its still on the trader now lol even though ive had it 2 weeks. It was an 'older' couple who was not computer literate and had it for last 3 years as their disability car it looks proper clean in the flesh
Old 07 March 2012, 01:21 PM
petethemeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by benmic92
yes that was the one, its still on the trader now lol even though ive had it 2 weeks. It was an 'older' couple who was not computer literate and had it for last 3 years as their disability car it looks proper clean in the flesh
Yeah i spoke to the owner a few times about it, he mentioned about the disability element to it. Looks like a nice example , especially in white.

Glad its gone to a good home
Old 07 March 2012, 01:48 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars do produce a fair amount of road noise. Stiff suspension, fairly hard bushes, relatively low profile tyres etc all play their part, however depending upon mileage, you could be hearing wheel bearings, diff/gearbox whine etc. Ideally, someone with a goodknowledge of Imprezas needs to have a listen to pinpoint any specific noise over what is deemed 'normal'

JohnD