Notices

Doctors?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2012, 03:27 PM
JusticeEmpire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doctors?

OK, I'm in need of some advice/professional opinions of my underbody.....................on my car that is.

Bought from a dealer, 52K on the clock, told everything standard (prodrive backbox at least however). Now, as I don't get to drive it much, due to lack of funds , I've decided that I am going to get completely OCD with it, and clean EVERY nook and cranny possible, and try and get it to a good standard and keep it that way.

Obviously the outside is relatively easy, and the engine bay will be too as soon as warranty runs out and I get the engine out , but I decided to have her on some axle stands while I inspected the underneath. Now, to me, she looks VERY dirty, to the point that if this was an actual woman, I don't think I would.......

I know that some of this is just surface dirt, but I can see that horrible looking rust stuff!!!!

http://s1243.photobucket.com/albums/...WRX%20Impreza/ (should be a link to my album on photobucket)

So, what I would like to know from guys and girls on here that know their stuff is ....

1) Am I going to be polishing a turd?
2) How bad is it? What needs replacing?
3) What's the best way for me to get her clean underneath (and sparkling again hopefully)?
4) Any other info/comments/suggestions?

Unfortunately, I don't have ANY funds to just replace stuff ***** nilly. BUT, I have LOTS of time, and I'm keen to put the effort in.......

Look forward to comments (but please don't bash her to hard lol)
Old 22 February 2012, 03:47 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

when i was under my classic last summer it wasnt that bad ...
Old 22 February 2012, 03:50 PM
JusticeEmpire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thunder8
when i was under my classic last summer it wasnt that bad ...
So you're saying mine's BAD then lol
Old 22 February 2012, 03:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks ok to me, just needs a good clean, but you will get surface rust on parts, its when it goes through the metal you worry
The only options you have is waxoil and the body wax which they put into the gaps that stops the car rusting

Tony
Old 22 February 2012, 03:59 PM
JusticeEmpire
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony, reassuring
Old 22 February 2012, 05:15 PM
PWD 1979
Scooby Regular

Looks O.K to me. I have a 2005 blob and looks almost identical to yours underneath so I wouldn't worry about it. If I had the time I would waxoyle mine and paint with rubberised coating but I dont so just live with it for now. as far as solid metal parts are concerned as opposed to underside of the body they are unlikely to fail due to rusting right through. Aesthetically and again if you have the time you can remove these, clean them up with a wire wheel and paint up but unless you are only going to use it on dry sunny days or walk around with mirrors on your shoes I wouldn't be too bothered.

If you did it slowly and as money allows you could replace old bushes with poly ones as you go to sharpen up the handling as you clean!

A car of this age is more likely to fail due to poor servicing than corrosion so get that right first engine/gearbox/diff oils etc.

If you have excess time on your hands you can come round and do mine afterwards if you want!

Hope this offers some reassurance.

Peter.
Old 22 February 2012, 06:44 PM
JusticeEmpire
Scooby Regular

Thanks Peter, again reassuring.

I was thinking about the poly bushes, as it makes sense to do it if I am going to have parts off.

As for servicing, this is something I need to get on top of, although I've only done 1937 miles since I've owned it and it's had FSH up till now.

To be honest, I just want it as good as I can get it and then to keep on top of it to keep it like that. I know it will get dirty, but every little counts