Notices

wont take aftermarket dv and standard recirc gushing air ... hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2012, 05:01 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default wont take aftermarket dv and standard recirc gushing air ... hmmm

ok so i fitted a aftermarket turbo intake pipe with no take offs apart from a aftermarket take off that i fitted for the boost solinoid ... which in turn means no recirc pipe.
right so the engine is in and all up and running BUT !!

i have tryed fitting a aftermarket dumpvalve ( forge ) i get a clicking noise from the turbo and it idles like its about to cut out either way i dont
leave it running v long as it dont sound healthy !

so i put the standard recirc valve back on in place of the forge and the engine sounds almost perfect a little jumpy but almost right..

basicly there is air gushing from where the recirc pipe would go on the standard dv esp on cold start up .. as the car warms up it reduses i should say this is without me putting foot on gas.

if i cover with hand where the recirc pipe would go on dv the car just cuts out and needless to say if i put foot on gas in blips the amount of air coming from the dv increases..

now i no this acts as a dv when recirc pipe is removed but there is a constant strong flow of air coming from it all the time
is this normal ?? and as i said if i stop the air flow coming from the oe valve it cuts out. any ideas ??

p.s sorry about the grammer.............

Old 14 February 2012, 06:36 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Up
Old 14 February 2012, 07:54 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any other mods to the car?
Old 14 February 2012, 07:59 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Blitz exhaust system.. Decat, air intake, that's about it ? I had the standard air box on and it did not idle properly swapped it for the cone filter and idled 10 times better and was more responsive..
Also oil catch can

Last edited by crazyspeedfreakz; 14 February 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 14 February 2012, 09:24 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Up
Old 15 February 2012, 07:40 AM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Morning ... Any thoughts
Old 15 February 2012, 08:29 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

So what have you done with the breathers etc that were on the o/e intake pipe.
Old 15 February 2012, 08:32 AM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Crank and head breathers go to oil catch can ..,
Old 15 February 2012, 08:42 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

when you fitted the forge did you blank off the return hose to the turbo intake pipe ?
where is the pipe now you have fitted the standard DV back on the wrong way?
Old 15 February 2012, 08:47 AM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

The turbo intake pipe dose not have a take off for the recirc so no need for me to blank it off..

As for the dv been the wrong way round that is the only way round it will fit
Old 15 February 2012, 03:15 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Up... All help welcomed
Old 15 February 2012, 07:04 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

upp.... any1 ???
Old 16 February 2012, 07:39 AM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Morning ...
Old 16 February 2012, 09:16 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

just fit the correct intake pipe so it can be piped up as it should be.
Old 16 February 2012, 03:23 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

looks like its all fitted wrong and the inlet pipe isnt correct and should have a hole for to be blocked off if its running a dump valve or a vacuum pipe running from the oe recirc valve into the inlet hose but yours isnt there so it cant recirculate any air back into the intake so its gushing out the hole
Old 16 February 2012, 05:44 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk300scoob
looks like its all fitted wrong and the inlet pipe isnt correct and should have a hole for to be blocked off if its running a dump valve or a vacuum pipe running from the oe recirc valve into the inlet hose but yours isnt there so it cant recirculate any air back into the intake so its gushing out the hole
Sorry ? What do u mean fitted all wrong ?

It's a aftermarket lateral turbo intake pipe .. It dose have a take off for recirc please ignore my last post I simply said it didn't as there is no point to it as its blanked off at the turbo intake hose end ...

Im sure it shouldn't have air coming from the recirc valve all the time.. This is all I need to no ?

Maybe a mapping issue but no1 seems to no
Old 16 February 2012, 06:28 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

yes it does because of the way the recirc works. a recirc wont work as a vta ive tried it. so first fit the forge back on the start looking from there
Old 16 February 2012, 06:29 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz

It's a aftermarket lateral turbo intake pipe .. It dose have a take off for recirc please ignore my last post I simply said it didn't as there is no point to it as its blanked off at the turbo intake hose end ...

Im sure it shouldn't have air coming from the recirc valve all the time.. This is all I need to no ?

As you've fitted the OEM recirc valve the outlet (where you say air is gushing from) should be piped back to the turbo inlet pipe.

The OEM recirc valve is not designed to be vent to air.

You need to refit items 5 and 8 to put it back to standard....

Old 16 February 2012, 06:38 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
yes it does because of the way the recirc works. a recirc wont work as a vta ive tried it. so first fit the forge back on the start looking from there
Thanks .. I've tryed fitting the vta forge I get a ticking from the turbo and the car is about to stall ... Any ideas where I should start looking ...

Cheers
Old 16 February 2012, 06:43 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crazyspeedfreakz

yea thats the thing whys it blanked off and then a recirculating valve fitted then it wont do what its supposed to, what im saying is that your missing the recirculating pipe that redirects the air back into the intake to the turbo, its prob whooshing cause its dumping it out into the open and not back into the intake cause you dont have it plumbed in right
Old 16 February 2012, 06:46 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
As you've fitted the OEM recirc valve the outlet (where you say air is gushing from) should be piped back to the turbo inlet pipe.

The OEM recirc valve is not designed to be vent to air.

You need to refit items 5 and 8 to put it back to standard....

the pipework has been removed from under the manifold .. So it's a no go otherwise I would prob just take the easy option and plum it all back in ..

I have a forge vta dv which I would like to use I just have a feeling I missing Somthing I mean I no some Imprezas don't like dv's but as I said in my last post there is a ticking from turbo and car is about to stall with the forge on ...

There must be Somthing I've missed or not understanding.
Old 16 February 2012, 06:53 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by uk300scoob
yea thats the thing whys it blanked off and then a recirculating valve fitted then it wont do what its supposed to, what im saying is that your missing the recirculating pipe that redirects the air back into the intake to the turbo, its prob whooshing cause its dumping it out into the open and not back into the intake cause you dont have it plumbed in right
I was told u could use the recirc valve as a type of vta but now getting a diffrent opinion... Tbh the recirc pipework I removed as I was using the aftermarket turbo intake pipe and a vta dv.. When I use the forge vta I get a clicking from turbo and car is about to stall ..

I think it's air backing up in the system causing the clicking from turbo but I'm unsure.
Old 16 February 2012, 06:57 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

I should add with the recirc valve fitted it starts and idles fine well almost .. Think that's a map issue .. But with the forge it's just not happenin so when I put the vta on its blocking the excess air and stalls with the standard recirc the car can breath .. Is the best way I can explain it ???
Old 16 February 2012, 07:13 PM
uk300scoob
Scooby Regular

best off plumbing in the standard oe unit as it does what it should, dump valve isnt needed with your set up and will just cause air/fuel ratio problems and back firing and will run rich and lumpy. oe unit provides a smoother gear changes and doesnt upset the ecu
Old 16 February 2012, 07:35 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds exactly like mine mate, before I had that turbosmart one off you I had a forge one on my version 5 STi... the car hated it, I wasnt missing anything and the car at idle would either stall or nearly stall and eventually settle.

BTW the Turbosmart one is going back up for sale (obviously not looking for a refund as was my risk to take with fitting) as the bonnet doesnt close just incase you see it in the for sale section good luck mate
Old 16 February 2012, 07:45 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG
Sounds exactly like mine mate, before I had that turbosmart one off you I had a forge one on my version 5 STi... the car hated it, I wasnt missing anything and the car at idle would either stall or nearly stall and eventually settle.

BTW the Turbosmart one is going back up for sale (obviously not looking for a refund as was my risk to take with fitting) as the bonnet doesnt close just incase you see it in the for sale section good luck mate
Did the turbo make a clicking noise? I personally think its a back up of pressure on the turbo but don't no how to check

Sorry to hear that the turbo smart didn't fit properly sounds like I'm gonna have to put my forge on the market as well but I think there is a more underlying issue that I need to resolve first, just need to find out what it is first ..lol
Old 16 February 2012, 07:56 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No idea what it was mate, it didnt stay on long, didnt notice any clicking from the turbo... is the clicking defo coming from the turbo? seems abit of an odd noise to get from a turbo?? ... everything with regard to my turbo and intake is standard except the STi 8 TMIC. I've just reverted back to the standard valve
Old 16 February 2012, 08:14 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG
No idea what it was mate, it didnt stay on long, didnt notice any clicking from the turbo... is the clicking defo coming from the turbo? seems abit of an odd noise to get from a turbo?? ... everything with regard to my turbo and intake is standard except the STi 8 TMIC. I've just reverted back to the standard valve
The clicking only happens when I put the forge on as I think there is no where for the excess air To go, so is putting that pressure on the turbo which is what is making it click constantly not sure how though ..
Ive removed all the recirc pipe work under manifold as I didn't think I was gonna be using it so if I cannot fix the problem it means I have to remove the inlet manifold and put back pipe work which is longggg !
Old 16 February 2012, 08:17 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

i have a lateral intake pipe like yourself with no re-circ pipe. thats not the issue. I seem to recall there being a pipe from the fuel regulator going to the o/e intake pipe. have you blocked this off? I run with no valve at all without any problems.

Did the boost soloniod pipework also go to the o/e intake pipe? what have you done with this?

Last edited by Turbotits; 16 February 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 16 February 2012, 08:28 PM
crazyspeedfreakz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
i have a lateral intake pipe like yourself with no re-circ pipe. thats not the issue. I seem to recall there being a pipe from the fuel regulator going to the o/e intake pipe. have you blocked this off? I run with no valve at all without any problems.

Did the boost soloniod pipework also go to the o/e intake pipe? what have you done with this?
Maybe I'm not understanding dosnt the standard fpr go to the back of the inlet manifold ?

The boost solinoid
I bought a take off to fit on turbo intake pipe and fixed it that way

Hope that make some sense..

Cheers for the help turbotits I'd be well lost without the help from this site

Quick Reply: wont take aftermarket dv and standard recirc gushing air ... hmmm