Notices

Shell Prep, media blasting and acid dipping.

Old 27 January 2012, 10:42 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shell Prep, media blasting and acid dipping.

I've been having a look into both media blasting and acid dipping and both have there negative and positives.

What i didn't realise about acid dipping though, is due to air, certain areas may not meet the acid, and when paying £2000+ you expect it to get everywhere.
There is no guarantee that it will remove and get to all the places, there have even been reveiws saying that the shells started rusting due to air not allowing the chemicals and paint to meet.

Media blasting isn't going to get to the places you can't see and you want be able to remove as much as acid dipping.

I've not looked at the cost of media blasting a shell, but i would image that it's expensive also due to the time aspect.

What do you feel the best method to prep your shell down to bare metal is?

I want to one day have a completely bare shell, but i don't think this is possible unless you get a shell from the factory with special instructions from yourself regarding underseal, seal and sound deadening not being applied.

I really want to make a lightweight build and the key to this is to first have the lightest possible shell, even being as picky as bits of seal in the seams.

Thanks

Last edited by Saalro; 02 November 2017 at 10:36 PM.