subaru coil pack

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2012, 07:04 AM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile subaru coil pack

hi.

i posted a new thread a few days ago, no one has replied so far, regarding the coil issue? well possibly.
r plate wagon turbo, can anyone advise on what are the obvious symtoms of a coil pack failing please? any thing to check or see on the unit itself as i am getting a slight judder or so call it jerkey/hesitation sometimes upon driving, its either this coil pack or the fuel pump.
any help applreciated on this.
i have the coil sits in middle of engine on the ej20.
thanks.
Old 02 January 2012, 08:59 AM
DEANO1988
Scooby Regular

is it definitely a coil issue? i had a similar jerky/hesitation problem and it was the maf and lambda sensor... could it be that?
Old 02 January 2012, 10:54 AM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Cool reply

hi.
thanks for the reply.

yes someone on the forum mentioned the maf sensor, thats to control the air flow isnt it? i have taken it off the car and looked and it looks ok, i presume its the black square box ontop of the airflow pipe housing? any way to test it out? i suppose it could be the maf sensor,not sure about the other sensor, the lamber where is that one and whats the symtoms.
many thanks.
Old 02 January 2012, 11:58 AM
DEANO1988
Scooby Regular

no worries, yeah sticks out the pipe, theres no certain way of testing a maf, either buy a new one or borrow one if you can but its best to get it on the rollers and diagnosed, the lambda is in the downpipe,

my symptoms were jerky/hesitation, off boost felt lumpy and idle was up n down slightly, a visit to the clinic sorted it out.
Old 02 January 2012, 12:46 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Cool reply

hi.

checked the maf, gave it a clean, wires look ok inside no debris inside or anything, the car on tick over is fine not lumpy or anything, driving is fine too, but now and then going down motorway you feel a little jerk nnow and then as tho you its going to run out of fuel! that kind of thing, hard to explain it really, wish i know what it was, i went to look to plug in my code reader unit, but it has no odb socket, unless its hiding from me? looked under steering wheel under plastic but cant find it, prob older style using wires you join together on this year? r plate? any ideas.
thanks
Old 02 January 2012, 12:55 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Cool reply

yes changed the leads and plugs, no obvious issues with plugs all looked the same colour and not worn down etc, i have cleaned the maf with spray, so i think the only alternative now is a coilpack, try this and see if this works, but strangely the car idles fine, revs not jumping up and down, drives fine, it feels when driving down motorway now and then its holding back a second or so, or as tho you are getting low on fuel! if thats any help, give it more gas and it appears to go away, all i have left now is either coilpack/maf unit or fuelpump?
any ideas now as someone lese mentioned the lamda sensor?

its a r reg, wanted to plug in a diagnostic code reader using obd but i could not find the socket for this under the steering colum, does this model use wire connections instead of a socket?
thanks.
Old 02 January 2012, 01:33 PM
DEANO1988
Scooby Regular

im not 100% sure but the socket should be there somewhere, take a look at this link it might help you.

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...eadingECUCodes

i'd just take it to somewhere like scoobyclinic if I'm unsure.