Notices

my 97 steering wheel and 3 port solnoid

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2012, 02:28 PM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 97 steering wheel and 3 port solnoid

My cars a my 97 UK turbo just wanted to know if the momo,or other newer oem air bagged steering wheel ,would be a straight swap
come spring im hoping to have enough cash to have the esl board fitted and mapped is it worth fitting a 3port boost solnoid ( as iv been told they control the boost much better)
Should i get a v3/v4 one or are they all the same
Thanks in advance clive
Old 01 January 2012, 05:51 PM
Scooby Regular

I've got the exact same car as you mate, a 1997 Turbo 2000. I've been lucky enough to have a mate breaking an identical full facelift car in the same colour so have swapped over a few bits already.

The car came with a fugly old wheel, this is what it looked like when I bought it:

So I fitted a facelift airbag Momo wheel from a MY2000 Classic:

They are interchangeable the splines are exactly the same, so no problem there. The connector for the horn is the same so it will just plug straight in, but the airbag is different. If you were more bothered than I you could rewire the airbag using the different connector, I had a look to see if I could change the entire clock spring from one car to the other but the connectors under the dash are also different. It wouldn't be too difficult to do, however disabling the air bag light is a lot easier so that's what I've done! The way I see it is it's no different to fitting a full on race wheel from the likes of OMP or Sparco, but I quite like the chunky but OEM look of this wheel so that's what I decided to go for.

Also fitted facelift bumper and lights to freshen up the front a bit:

I'm also looking at a full decat exhaust, induction kit, maybe an uprated pump and a remap. Have seen a few newer Turbo 2000s running 270ish bhp with just these mods so I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with the new ESL board as well.
Old 01 January 2012, 11:48 PM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

That was the wheel i was after bit gutted the air bag won't work without splicing wires though

iv tweeked the front of mine a bit whilst waiting for the esl to be released
and already fitted turbo back ,walbaro,sti tmic ,plugs k&n with cold feed.
any idea if fitting the 3 port is just a case of t ing into a vacuum pipe or do i need to start splicing again :-(
Old 02 January 2012, 10:49 AM
Scooby Regular

Looks good mate, you're further along with yours than I am! Mine's standard apart from a backbox, BOV and HKS mushroom filter. What exhaust did you go for out of interest? Got any more info on the other parts you've put on? What kind of power you hoping to reach in the end? I've seen a fair few 99 turbo 2000s hit 270bhp with just exhaust, induction, walbro and a remap, so I'm hoping when I get enough cash together that the ESL board will bring mine up to similar with the same mods.
Old 02 January 2012, 01:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Mine HAD the "new" wheel shown above, (98 UK car), I sold it on and replaced it with a 3-spoke one off a WR1.

It fitted no problem, airbag and all.
Old 02 January 2012, 01:39 PM
Scooby Regular

Have seen the pictures alc, afraid to say I think I prefered the original Momo one. One of the nicest OEM airbag wheels I've seen IMO, that's why I was so determined to get one
Old 02 January 2012, 09:07 PM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

each to their own, but mines a family car and the mrs likes to drive it to and i dont think she'd get on with a aftermarket wheel
im not after pub figures with mine, cos i know the injectors and turbo would hold me back but, should map to a safe 270ish bhp .As for exhaust i went for 3" bellmouth cobra sports cat ,mainly cos it couldn't be mapped but also for the mot and a 2.5 " resonated magnex cat back
i will admit i started with sorting the brakes as the two pots scared me and elbiach springs ,as their progressive rate and firm up under load so the kids dont chip their teeth in the back

what wheel does the v3 wrx or sti have on it does anyone know if they would be a straight swap
Old 03 January 2012, 07:39 AM
Scooby Regular

All the v3 STIs I've seen look to have non airbag wheels on anyway, so you'd still be losing your airbag regardless. Those brakes look awesome, how much did they set you back and are they worth the money? I'll agree though after coming from a Saxo with Brembo four pots on the front the Scooby brakes are pretty terrifying!
Old 03 January 2012, 10:00 AM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

I think i was quite lucky with the brakes as i bought all 4discs ,kevlar pads all round and freshly refurbed 4pots( with stainless pistons) for £300 off a mate on here .There a lot better than the 2 pots and i think it's a good idea to make your car stop better b4 you make it go faster ;-)
Old 03 January 2012, 05:24 PM
Scooby Regular

AS they're like brand new that's a bargain! Did you get the two pots for the back as well? Did you need to change the brake master cylinder at all or does the pedal feel fine with the four pots fitted?
Old 03 January 2012, 06:20 PM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

mine has single pots with solid rear discs and the rears that i bought were for single pot vented discs which my rear calipers wouldn't fit over so the rears are standard as they were fitted just before i bought the car a year ago but, new discs fitted my brv's v1 sti which cheered him up no end . the pedal feels fine but i think the braided lines help with that and i recomend the kevlar pads as there good bite from cold and dont fade as much as oem pads.

does anyone know if its worth getting a 3 port before i map it or would it not be worth it due to the bhp im aiming at
Old 03 January 2012, 06:30 PM
Scooby Regular

Cool, I'm thinking of keeping my single pot rears and just replacing with drilled/grooved discs and good quality pads, it's the fronts I want to concentrate on!

Sorry I'm filling up your thread but can't offer any advice with the solenoid, I'm still trying to figure out all this stuff myself as well!
Old 03 January 2012, 07:07 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looking good..

how much these steering wheels go for?

got a newage sti here and a mono 99 classic I could do with space they are taking up
Old 03 January 2012, 07:14 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
looking good..

how much these steering wheels go for?

got a newage sti here and a mono 99 classic I could do with space they are taking up
Dunno about the newage but £30-£40 seems to be the going rate for the Momo wheels.

As an aside, whereabouts are you based? I'm considering fitting an ESL daughterboard ecu to my 97 turbo 2000 once I've done all my mods, are you anywhere near the North Wales area? How much would you want for mapping one if I were to purchase and fit it myself, or would the cost saving be marginal? I'm assuming as they're boards fitted to a standard ECU it'll come with the OEM standard/base map?
Old 03 January 2012, 08:45 PM
savage bulldogs
Scooby Regular

simon (jgm) was one of the mappers i was thinking of using so ill say no to the wheel bud as im saving for a esl if you've still got it about march time i might pick it up i read through your project thread keep up the good work its gonna be a beast should i bother with the 3 port

dont worry about bumping my thread for me guest and cheers for the info