Notices

Servicing tips and oil recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2011, 03:16 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing tips and oil recomendation

Hi everyone, ive recently brought my first scooby, its only a 1996 2.0 sport but we all must start somewhere!!!

To say the previous owner didnt really look after it is a bit of an understatement! Yes he may off fitted everything to make it a turbo 2000 rep, but then seemed to just drive it round like a nutcase! Having already began removing the various neon lights (11 in total, inside and out!) RIPSPEED and tribal stickers and other forms ot tackyness, my first port of call really is to give her a (probably) much needed service. Obviously looking at replacing the usual filters, leads, plugs etc. I have two questions for you knowledgable lot......

Firstly, is there any specific areas to give attention as im giving her a service, ive heard mentions of replacing gearbox oil etc but havent got a clue where to begin!! and secondly, what grade of oil is best to feed them???

Sorry its a bit of a long winded post!!
Old 14 December 2011, 03:26 PM
lee67
Scooby Regular

hi, you would be better joining imprezasport.net m8.....cos alot on here slate the sport...ive got one and love it..and yes im 44 and had loads of cars, power and speed aint everything...waits for the usual, (slow,underpowered,why??) remarks
Old 14 December 2011, 03:32 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by lee67
hi, you would be better joining imprezasport.net m8.....cos alot on here slate the sport...ive got one and love it..and yes im 44 and had loads of cars, power and speed aint everything...waits for the usual, (slow,underpowered,why??) remarks

Cheers for that mate.....kinda expecting some flack for it 'only being a sport' but as you said i love it!
Old 14 December 2011, 04:15 PM
dbay
Scooby Regular

timing belt and idlers are a defo if you have no proof from when it was last replaced
10/40w fully synthetic will do just lovley
and if you realy want to push to boat out, box and diff oil, brake and clutch fluid.

i like to (as many others) disconnect the crank sensor and turn the engine over until the oil light goes out on the dash after an oil change. there are lots of horror stories about cranks failing just after an oil change

just my 2p's worth
Old 14 December 2011, 04:36 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Lol there was a topic about the sport just. A lot of us sport owners past and present defended it lol.

Any ways if your unsure about how do to the various bits on the service YouTube it. Also give it a good wax and polish mate. You could change the spark plugs as well.
Old 14 December 2011, 05:47 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dbay
timing belt and idlers are a defo if you have no proof from when it was last replaced
10/40w fully synthetic will do just lovley
and if you realy want to push to boat out, box and diff oil, brake and clutch fluid.

i like to (as many others) disconnect the crank sensor and turn the engine over until the oil light goes out on the dash after an oil change. there are lots of horror stories about cranks failing just after an oil change

just my 2p's worth
Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
Lol there was a topic about the sport just. A lot of us sport owners past and present defended it lol.

Any ways if your unsure about how do to the various bits on the service YouTube it. Also give it a good wax and polish mate. You could change the spark plugs as well.
As above, plus the coolant is worth changing too - coolant and brake fluid are due every two years.

Gearbox oil is pretty straight forward and filling it up again should be a bit easier without an intercooler to get in the way.
Old 14 December 2011, 09:02 PM
Jayp
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for all your advice guys! Nossy......plugs and leads are already high on the agenda mate as is a good wash and wax (as soon as the weather calms down a bit!) Thanks for the tip about youtube though.....always only really used it for watching people falling off stuff!
Old 17 December 2011, 12:53 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with the above

With no history.....

Check anti freeze ASAP

1) Engine Oil and filter
2) Gearbox and rear diff oil
3) Timing belts and Idlers
4) Plugs
5) Coolants ( but being freezing weather may need to go top off list )

nice to do brake and clutch fluids but other may cost you VERY dearly if go wrong

Tony

ps take your time to do plugs, lots of peeps complain about garage costs to do plugs and then ask how easy is it to helicoil a stripped plug thread

Last edited by T5NYW; 17 December 2011 at 01:55 PM. Reason: CANT SPELL
Old 17 December 2011, 01:45 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As above, I'd defo drop the coolant and replace with brand new mix of appropriate ratio (50/50 will be more than adequate for our winter temps)... As you never know what strength is already in there, and you wouldn't want it to freeze in the block's galleyways, etc. Curtains!

Defo sort that ASAP! Do a search on here to fine out best coolant filling methods (so as not to unwittingly introduce any airlocks)...