Notices

Help with new car general info... my first impreza! :)

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2011, 01:07 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new car general info... my first impreza! :)

Hi all, im a new member and a new owner of a subaru.
i have an x reg late classic model impreza, 4 door turbo 2000 awd uk model.
i bought it off a family friend who has owned it for the last 6 years.
i love the car and it hasnt missed a beat yet in the month ive had it, hasnt drank oil or water either... so happy!

what id want to know is how can i find out what stage of tune its at, is there any way of telling if its been remapped, running higher boost etc. cos i didnt recieve any history stating any tuning. i am under the impression that these run at 215bhp standard, to the eye i can see a dump valve and an exhaust from the downpipe back with a middle box and rear box.

my bro has a 300bhp sierra cosworth and it leaves his for dust until about 80mph then they are pretty even and im sure a standard one of these would not be doing this so i just want to check what its running before i buy any parts to continue upgrading it.

also most parts listed it states a chassis number / engine number i.e. gc8 my99 etc. what is this car so i know what im looking for?? sorry for my lack of knowlege ive been a ford nut all my life so i know next to nothing about subarus. thanks in advance, aaron.

p.s ill get some pics up soon.
Old 08 December 2011, 02:57 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it have a boost gauge as depending on what it is boosting will be a big give away, get the applied model number off the passenger strut top on the plate and post it up, if it is a UK car it will be a turbo 2000, if it has no rear wiper chances are its a UK car as well,

Gaz.
Old 08 December 2011, 03:20 PM
*_Ste_*
Scooby Regular

Assuming the Cossie is 2wd the Subaru will leave it standing off the line. I had a 2wd Sapphire Cosworth and it was a nightmare to get going, would even spin its rears in third gear at over 70mph, in the wet mind lol.

Still amazes me how much better a Scoob goes from a standing start though and i've had them getting on for 3 years now.
Old 08 December 2011, 03:25 PM
Drynachan
Scooby Regular

If you're sad, Like me...then start a spread sheet of info relating to your car as you discover info about it. You can find code info on here, which will tell you alot. I then crawled around the car, looking for info on the turbo, ecu, fmic, et, etc and noted it all down. Helps with upgrades and parts ordering too. My first impreza too...stunning traction in all weather and roadholding like I have never experienced before...

Jon
Old 08 December 2011, 03:49 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Close ratio gearbox. Yeah thats where scoobys don't perform when compared with others. Our cars are made for acceleration not top end.

Oh and the Japanese gear boxs have an even closer ration close ratio gearbox lol.
Old 08 December 2011, 05:07 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89

Oh and the Japanese gear boxs have an even closer ration close ratio gearbox lol.
You've gotta love a close ratio box, even if it means using more fuel
Old 08 December 2011, 05:45 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your car is a GC8, MY99 etc is the Model Year.

Trending Topics

Old 08 December 2011, 06:51 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply all!

It hasnt got a boost guage, so im assuming everything else is standard which pleases me really as im already very pleased with how the car moves already. I was planning to fit a full set of guages soon, so what are these boosting at standard about 7psi?? If its boosting at standard pressure would that indicate standard state of mapping and tune?

So my cars a gc8 then. In terms of shopping for aftermarket parts ive been looking at items like full decated system and down pipe first. What do u guys recomend for quality and proven power gains for my model? Also ive seen equal length header/manifold set on ebay, it says u loose the burble but u do gain good power, is it worth doing? As it says u have to change to an sti half sump also. Is that a bitch to do?

Cheers all
Old 08 December 2011, 07:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Full decat, decent panel filter and a remap should see in excess of 260bhp.

Oh.......and go back to the standard dumpvalve, please, the car will like you better for it.
Old 08 December 2011, 08:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Is there a bit of blue intercooler pipe just infront of the intercooler And does the back box have prodrive stamped on it?

Tony
Old 08 December 2011, 09:08 PM
aaron_ions
Scooby Regular

So these equal length headers arent worth the effort then? And whats this about a standard dump valve anyway??.. Im assuming they work better as uve said go back to it.

Ill have a look for a prodrive stamp.

Ive had a browse online for de cat systems and downpipe, i can only find ones for wrx sti model. Will these fit if not where can i get thesse bits to fit this model.

Finally...Any decent re mappers known in the bham - midlands area. Id be happy with the 260 ish brake if it is standard at the mo
Old 09 December 2011, 07:00 PM
Rob669
Scooby Regular

I'm in a similar situation. Bought an MY00 turbo recently, completely standard (even the exhaust is the original) and now I want to improve it - but nothing mad. I'm intending to replace all the old worn out bits first: suspension, ARBs as they're rusty as, clutch, discs, injectors, coils, leads (plugs are ok, they are recently new) and then start on some upgrades. I'm thinking the following will do: Walbro 255 fuel pump, 3'' exhaust and a remap.
Oh, plus a full size spare wheel. I'm not driving ten yards on what looks like a bike wheel!